Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

Mysterious Guardian

When my consciousness resurfaced there was another voice that I heard. Crimson’s authoritative voice was nowhere to be found, bringing me partial relief and partial panic. My eyes flickered open for only a second to see my new visitor.

“Are you awake?” There was a conflicted gulp. “0074?” He asked with a certain sarcasm that showed annoyance.

“Who are you?” I replied. “Where’s Crimson?” A light pinged and flashed above my head.

“Guess that means she’ll be coming.” He replied. “But don’t worry, I won’t hurt you!”

“Who are you?” I asked again, opening my eyes and letting them adjust to the dim light that was around him.

He was quite attractive. This mysterious boy was kneeling at my bedside. He had dark brown hair and the sweetest brown eyes; there was a sword hung at his side, and he was dressed as a guard would be. But there was a look in his eyes that I somehow recognized. I tried to reach out into that little breath of recognition, but I fell off of the cliff in my brain. It was such a look of kindness and worry that the little panic that had been weighing me down when I had first opened my eyes disintegrated.

“Really!” I demanded. “How do I know you?” I sat up quickly to look directly in his eyes. His look only became more sorrow-filled as I did so.

“I’m Elias,” he said, grabbing my hand. “I’m your f-“

“Guardian!” Crimson finished. “Elias, here, is your Guardian.. All Selvas have a special Guardian that will accompany them on their missions. I see that you two have met. Good, good!” She threw Elias a look that I didn’t comprehend.

Part of me wished she would’ve stayed away longer. There was something like familiarity when I looked into his eyes – unlike the dread and panic that I felt when I looked into the fiery cold of Crimson’s.

“Well, now how are you feeling, 0074?” She asked, and I realized that my head didn’t hurt anymore. My arms, legs, and torso no longer felt like jell-o to sit up, and my head felt clear of the rocks that had previously been weighing it down – except for the numerous walls that I kept running into, especially while looking at Elias.

“I’m feeling better. Can I get out of this bed now?” I asked, sitting up to swing my legs off of the mattress.

“Sure. Shall we take a tour?” Crimson asked. “You may come too, Elias.” She smirked and I could see the annoyance on his face that he had needed an “invitation.” He seemed determined to go whether she had allowed him to or not.

“What are we taking a ‘tour’ of, exactly?” I asked to Elias as she started to lead us out the door. Elias fell into step with me, and Crimson walked a few steps ahead.

“0074, we are in an institution in the land called Purgatory.” Crimson answered, though I had not directed the question to her. “This is the land of the Selvic tribes.”

“But, what – “

“Excuse me, I wasn’t finished,” she turned to smirk at me. “Selvas are the ‘deathwitches.’ We are the race that dominates the lands of Purgatory – which is a dimension between Heaven and Hell. It is our job to determine whether those who die go to Heaven or Hell and keep the balance between the Angels and the Demons. Our Guardians exist to protect us while we fulfill these missions and make these decisions. You’ll learn more as you go through your training. Any questions?”

All I could do was shake my head. At least I knew what I was, but I was becoming more confused as it was. If I was a Selva, why didn’t I remember any of it?

She turned back ahead of us and led us down the hall. We came across door after door of rooms. These were the ‘classrooms’, she had explained, in which new Selvas learned how to conjure magic and travel through different planes of the earth.

Once we had gotten to the end of the hallway, Crimson left us alone to go tend to other “pinging” rooms.

“How do I know you?” I asked Elias as he led me to the room that I would be staying in while I trained. “You’re so familiar to me, but I can’t remember why!”

He remained quiet with nothing more than a shrug, and I sighed in exasperation.

I stepped in front of him with my hands on my hips. “Did you know me, you know, before?”

“N-no.” He said. He continued walking down the hall to my room in silence, leaving me to wallow in my confusion…