Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

Explorations

As disorientation from the planal jump slowly left me, though I could still feel Blue’s hand clutching mine tightly, I began to notice the area around us. Apparently when we were transported from Purgatory to Earth, the portals had specific points they were designated to project us to, and we had ended up inside a house –in Belfast, Maine.

As for the significance of this specific town… since last night, I’ve been experiencing small flashes of memories, especially around Alyson –who I keep reminding myself to call Blue so that I don’t make a mistake- and at Crimson’s mention of the name, a flash of the place came to me. I’m not quite sure yet the significance of it, or where Blue fits in with all of this, but since she’s part of my past as well, I have the suspicion that it includes us both.

“Elias?” Her concerned voice brings me from my reverie of thoughts and turn to glance down at her, finding her appearing as concerned as she sounded as she asked my name, and I curl my fingers around hers as I squeeze her hand gently.

“I guess this is where we’ll be staying. Crimson never said, but the details should be in the folder she handed you. I know that she said there’s supposed to be a ‘safe house’ for the Selva/ Guardian pairs who come to Earth, that we’re in Belfast, and about nothing else except we’re here to take a soul back to Purgatory, but that’s about it.” Immediately, I’ve begun to defer to her, maybe because of the training. The Guardians all learn that we are there simply to protect our Selva from harm, while our Selva complete their missions and do their thing. Basically, they’re in charge, and we’re just there to make sure nothing goes wrong –technically, we aren’t exactly needed and not all Selva have Guardians.

At my words, she looks at me kind of funny, probably catching what wasn’t said out loud, before her gaze dips down to the folder labeled 274D that is still in her hands. She flips it open for a moment and shuffles through the papers, eyes scanning the words before she closes it again with a small nod. “Yeah, we’re in the right place. This is the safe house, according to the information here...and Elias, this is our assignment, not just mine with you tagging along.” I can practically see her chewing on her lips as it appears that something is bothering her, and I frown for a moment before she turns her eyes back to me again. “Do you remember something…about…this place?”

This time it’s my turn to duck my head, and I shift slightly away from her at the mention as I give a small shake of my head at her question, sad to disappoint her at the same time. “When Crimson said the name of this place…I thought I remembered something, but I don’t –not really. I just know it sounds familiar. It has something to do with my memories; that’s all I know.” I sigh softly with another shake of my head as I peek up at her, to find her smiling encouragingly at me.

For a moment, I leer back in confusion, but then she closes the space between us while taking both of my hands and leaning up on her toes to come near my height. Since I’m much taller than her, this is about the only way she can actually look me in the eye without me looking down and her up, and besides, I’m pretty sure we both have a little something else on our minds at the moment besides being the same height. The way she’s gently holding my hands and practically pressing against me so that she can lean up like that, her lips being so close…my hand twitches as I fight the urge to kiss her where she stands.

“I’m proud you’re just remembering this, Elias, and more so, I’m glad because of what happened last night.” To my chagrin, she simply pecks my nose and leans back down, a mischievous look about her as she stands back, letting go of my hands, and I simply shake my head at her. That had all been a ploy to get my attention it seems, and it worked. “So, now that we’re here…do you want to spend the day looking around the town and then doing whatever we want tonight, before we get to work tomorrow?”

For a moment I stand there, but then a small smirk finds me as I take a step towards her and trap her by wrapping my arms around her. “And what’s to say I want to go exploring the town instead of keeping you here with me where we can occupy ourselves with other activities?” I drop my voice lower as I lean my forehead against hers, looking her right in the eye, despite the pain I still feel whenever I see those charcoal eyes instead of the blue ones I’ve come to love.

If I expected her to fall for it though, I’m sadly mistaken as she simply grins at me and ducks under my arms and steps away from me with a coy smirk as she clasps her hands behind her back. “Like I said, we can occupy ourselves however we want to later. For now though, you can satisfy yourself with accompanying me for a walk.”

I nearly groan, about to protest, but then she grabs me by my hand and starts to rush out of the house. Rolling my eyes, I decide not to protest, simply happy that everything between us seems to be fine and better, and so I go along with what she wants for the time being as she slows down while still grasping my hand.

I’m clutching hers too now, coming along pretty willingly so that she doesn’t have to drag me. Still, we walk a few blocks like that before we start to come into an inhabited area where I can see tall buildings, all at least two stories, and pretty busy streets. A lot of women are walking along with bags strung on their arms and men following. People sit outside under umbrellas at cafes, seeming to enjoy the new spring air.

And soon after we get into this crowded area, while we’re walking around and I’m gazing around, Blue suddenly grabs my elbow and wraps her arms around mine while practically pulling me into her and leaning against me at the same time, a small smile on her face. I swear there’s an odd look on her face I’ve never seen her have before though, gone in an instant, and I have to tell myself I simply imagined it because I’m not entirely sure I saw it right. Besides, what if I did? What would I call that emotion- affection, mixed with maybe jealousy? There’s no way she would feel anything close to that, not with me even after what happened last night, and there’s no reason for her to either.