Sequel: Escape the Madness
Status: Completed ^-^

Method to the Madness

Mouse: Friend or Foe?

“Damn that Crimson! Damn all of these Selva!” In a bout of pure anger and frustration at not only myself but the fact that she in fact knows me on some level and can’t remember, that I can’t tell her, I’ve retreated to a desolate room deep in the bowels of the Selvic structure and I’ve made a hole in the wall. My fist is pulsing, throbbing really, but I can’t feel the pain through clenched teeth and raw emotions although I’m pretty sure it’s bleeding.

For a moment, I actually consider punching the wall again, but I collect myself and think better of it. I’m certain now that my knuckles are bleeding as I can feel it dripping from my fist, and I’m afraid if I take out another punch at the wall then I might break my hand. What good would I be to her then? “Damn,” I hiss again, frustration edging at every corner of myself as I pull my hand from the wall roughly, then sink back and slide to the floor.

I lay my head between my knees, scowling deeply at the floor. Though it may not deserve my wrath (and neither did the wall), the inanimate objects seem to be my only means of release considering I cannot attack the Selva. “Are you okay?”

My head snaps up to see a girl crouched in front of me. She has a rounded, curved face, blemish-less, and almond shaped eyes which hold nearly black looking irises. And she has curly, tousled looking, light brown hair. I’ve never seen her before, but somehow I get the impression that she has followed me to this current location. “Yeah,” I answer simply, gruffly, pushing myself up to my feet and averting my gaze. I don’t need sympathy; I need my friend back.

“Oh, your hand-” she gasps, reaching out almost lightning fast with worry written in her every feature. This catches me off guard, especially since she’s a Selva. I can just feel it…

As she finishes looking at my hand, her gaze flits back to me, and then behind me at the wall, and her eyes widen a little, her mouth forming a sort of ‘o’. For her credit though, she doesn’t ask me any questions about why I hit the wall or why I’m even down here, and instead gently lets go of my hand again, returning it back to me. “We should get someone to look at that,” she tells me softly, standing as well.

“I’ll be fine,” I say with a sigh, hating how sulkish I was acting and feeling. After all, what did I expect? For the Selva to be saints and for me to just fall right back into place with Alyson? It never works that easily…Not even in movies where everything works out in the end.

The girl’s eyes flash, something there in them which causes me to take pause. In looks, she couldn’t be older than myself, but with the smothering look she gives me then, she looks as if she could be a millennia older than Crimson. “No, someone’s going to look at it,” she says, her voice even turning authoritative; it sounds so much like the others that I actually flinch. This seems to soften her up a bit, to my surprise. “That’s your sword hand, right? We need to look at it so you can use that sword. You are a Guardian after all,” she tells me, her voice back to its normal softness.

This time, I eye her warily, starting to wonder if this Selva is bi-polar or something. “Who are you?” I ask her slowly, this time giving in as she starts to lead me back to the upper levels. Since this is a place to train Selva and many of them aren’t here, much less any other Guardians except for a couple of others, I assume she has already figured out who I am. Though if she asks, I won’t bother denying that I am, in fact, Elias.

“Hmm? Well, depends on who you’re asking. Most people just call me Mouse,” she answered thoughtfully after a moment, actually smiling at me. I didn’t know that they were capable of smiling. This entire organization and realm seems to be locked in some sort of anti-fun, laughter, and smiles box or something. It’s actually good to see someone smile. “And you? I haven’t seen you around before,” she adds.

’Did she just blush?’ I shake my head, denying the remote possibility as I give a small nod to her introduction. Mouse seems fitting for her; for the most part, she does remind me a bit of one, and her hair’s the right color for it as well. “That’s because I’m new. I’m Elias Ward,” I tell her, introducing myself as well as I hold out my good hand for her to shake. “Nice to meet you, Mouse. And trust me, I haven’t told any other Selva this.”

Now it’s her turn to be surprised, though this time she just smiles and nods, shaking my hand firmly for a moment. “It’s nice to meet you too, Elias Ward,” she answered, but when I tried to pull away, she didn’t let go of my hand. “And don’t think I haven’t forgotten about attending to your hand. Come on, this way.”