Status: Ongoing

We Shouldn't Have Met Like This

Three

Jack slams the door, face frozen in a scowl. He kicks off his shoes and pads into the apartment, throwing his car keys down on the sofa.
"Frey?" he calls. He can hear his girlfriend upstairs, moving around. He hears her coming down the stairs a minute later, and he turns to face her.
"Hey babe, you get your phone then?" she murmurs, sliding her arms round his neck. Jack sighs, placing his hands on her hips and stroking the warm skin that's exposed from beneath her vest.
"Yeah, I got it. Sorry about that call, by the way. Some asshole I used to know from college."
She laughs, fingers playing with the hair on Jacks neck.
"It's fine." She leans up to press a kiss to Jack's lips, hands tugging his face closer. Jack's hands instinctively curl around her waist. They kiss lazily for a few minutes before Freya breaks away, panting.
"Dinner?" she offers. Jack smiles, kissing her forehead.
"Sure."

~

Jack manages to get through a whole week without seeing Alex again. Well, he isn't trying to avoid Alex but that's only because he doesn't think he's going to run into him. It's complicated.
He goes to work as usual, gets his coffee and goes home to Freya. That's about it. He also goes to see a movie with Freya, and he meets up with an old friend but other than that his life is pretty boring, in all honesty.
It's Sunday and Jack's at the mall with Freya. She's taking him shopping because apparently wearing the same thing five times a week "isn't acceptable".
Last time he sees his girlfriend, she's wondering off toward the jewellery store so, naturally, Jack tells her he's going to have a look around for himself.
He finds himself wondering toward his favourite store in the whole mall, a small place that sells things like black skinny jeans and band T-shirts. Jack may be 21 but he's still into all the same bands that he was in high school.
He enters the store and begins his look around, weaving through the isles of clothes. Toward the back are all the posters, accessories, and the cash register. Jack picks up a pair of skinny jeans, much like the ones he's currently wearing but a little...greyer. They'll do. He also finds a new Jimmy Eat World shirt that he hasn't seen before and picks that up too. Once his arms are full of shit, he makes his way to the cash register, dumping his stuff down. Ignoring the cashier, Jack pulls out his wallet, placing his card down on the counter.
"Come to see me?"
Jack bites his tongue to stop from swearing out loud. He looks up and, no surprise, Alex is standing behind the cash register with a smirk plastered on his face.
"You wish. I'm just here to pay for my shit and leave, alright?" Jack says, as Alex rings up his clothes.
Jack looks over his shoulder to check Freya hasn't come looking for him.
"If you say so, Jacky. That'll be $37 dollars."
Jack passes his card over to Alex. Their hands brush as Alex takes the card from him and Jack flinches at the hot, tingling sensation, snatching his hand away. Alex just grins, shaking his head as he slots the card into the machine.
Jack enters his pin without another word, Alex busily bagging up his purchases. When the transaction is done, Alex hands Jack back his card and Jack takes it with caution, careful not to let their skin touch.
Taking the bags, he mutters a quick thanks to Alex before turning to leave.
"See ya later, Jacky!" Alex calls from behind him. Jack scowls.
Walking back to his girlfriend, Jack can't help think that Alex definitely looked good back there. His hair was styled to look messy and when he smiled, his cheeks dimpled. Jack shakes his head, frowning. Sure, Alex was hot, but he was an arrogant prick.

Jack is fairly quiet on the drive home, letting Freya gush about the "gorgeous necklace" she saw. He mumbles half-hearted responses while she talks, his mind somewhere else. On someone else.
When they get inside, Jack tells Freya he's going to have a shower and she tells him she'll start dinner. In the shower, Jack finds himself rubbing the spot on his hand that Alex had touched earlier. Frowning, Jack plunges his hand under the stream of water in an attempt to wash off the burning feeling under his skin.
Jack is as sullen as ever during dinner and Freya has noticed. She sighs, placing her knife and fork down on the table and reaches over to stroke Jack's hand.
"You okay? You've been quiet ever since we got home."
Jack shakes his head.
"Just been thinking," he mutters, pushing a carrot around on his plate. Freya rolls her eyes.
"Don't bullshit me, Jack. I've been your girlfriend long enough to know when something's bothering you. What is it, huh?" She squeezes Jack's hand softly, encouraging him to speak.
"I've just got a lot on my mind, okay?"
The last part comes out wrong, Jack's voice raising slightly. Freya frowns, removing her hand and placing it in her lap.
"I'm sorry, Frey. I think I need to leave for a little while, clear my head," Jack sighs, pushing his chair back and tugging on his jacket that hangs from the back of it.
"You're leaving? For how long?"
"I'll probably go down to the bar for a bit, I'll be back later, okay?"
Freya just nods as Jack collects his keys and exits the apartment.

Jack slides his glass back onto the table, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. It clinks against the other two glasses there already. Across the table, his friend, Zack, watches Jack with concerned eyes.
"You sure you're okay, man?" Zack asks, sipping his beer slowly. Jack shakes his head, running a finger around the rim of one of the glasses.
Jack hesitates, considering telling Zack what he did. Zack's been his friend since high school; the two became close over their shared love of music.
"You promise you won't tell anyone, Zack?"
"Sure, I promise."
"I-I may have cheated on Frey," Jack mumbles, dropping his head into his hands. "It was a one night thing, I was drunk and I didn't know what I was doing. I regret it so much, Zee."
Zack shuffles closer to Jack, wrapping an arm around his shoulder and pulling him into a hug.
"Fuck, dude. Have you told her?" Zack asks. Jack shakes his head.
"I'm too scared I'll lose her. I can't."
Zack nods understandingly, rubbing Jack's shoulder.
"Let me get you another drink, yeah?" Zack says, getting up. Jack just nods. He's glad he has Zack. He may not say much but he's trustworthy and knows how to make Jack feel better.
Three more beers later and Jack is starting to feel the effects of the alcohol rushing in his veins. Zack decided he wouldn't drink too much because he knew he'd have to drive Jack home later. And here he is, helping a stumbling Jack make their way to Jack's car.
He throws Jack in the passenger seat and jogs around to the drivers side.
"Hey, Zack?" Jack mutters as Zack starts up the engine.
"Mm?"
"Can I stay at yours, bro? I might say something stupid to Frey if I go home."
"Sure, you can stay with me tonight," Zack says, pulling out the parking lot and starting the drive to Zack's. Jack gets his phone and sends a message to Freya.

staying at zacks tnight, go t bed. See yyuo in th mrning x xx

It's a little sloppy but Jack is intoxicated and doesn't really give a fuck if his spelling is correct. He just really needs to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey so I'm sorry this chapter has been kinda delayed, basically all my notes are on LiveJournal and LiveJournal has been being an asshole lately so that's why it's late!
Also, it's quite short but this is just a filler, the next chapter should be longer :)
Remember to comment lol