Status: On hold, longterm

The Sweetest of Sugars

Chapter 3

Me and my best friend Stacy were playing together in the living room when Sol walked in. He was holding hands with Krissie, one of his friends. They both had boots on but no coats.

“Where are you going?” I asked. “It’s cold outside.”

“We’re just going for a walk and then we’ll be chilling in the shed for a bit.” Sol grabbed a scarf and wrapped it around Krissie.

“Aren’t you going to wear a coat?” I asked Krissie.

“It’s okay, we’re only going to be outside for a little while.”

“Okay, bye.”

“See you soon sugar.” Sol patted me on the head before putting his arms around Krissie and walking out.

As soon as they closed the door, Stacy burst out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” I asked putting my doll down.

“Your brother and Krissie,” she grabbed my shoulder to steady herself.

“Why are they funny?” I asked.

“Don’t you know?” she asked her laughter dying away.

“Know what?”

“I’ve seen it before, mommy and dad hold hands, and then they lean in and…”

“And then what!?” I was on my feet now, the doll in my hand was getting crushed. Was something bad going to happen to them?

She just sighed. “You’ll see soon enough.”

“Stacy!” I could feel my cheeks going red. Why didn’t I know what she was talking about? Stacy was a year older than me but still. Was it because I didn’t have a mommy anymore? Maybe I just didn’t notice when it happened to mommy and dad. Or maybe I just forgot; I was forgetting a lot of things about mommy.

“Sato, why are you crying?”

I wiped my eyes with my sleeve; it was wet. “I’m not,” I lied.

“Is it about your mom?” Stacy asked. It was weird, she never really cared about my mom dying before. It didn’t suit her. I liked her more when she didn’t talk about it.

“My mom’s dead and that’s that,” I answered. She looked hurt and suddenly I felt bad for being mean to her.

I was about to apologise when she grabbed my hand and pulled me to the hallway. “Let’s go to the park,” she said.

“Okay, I have to tell dad.” I said wiping my eyes again before running off to find him.

***

We were at the park on the swings. It was really busy cause it had stopped snowing and the sun was shining. I almost asked dad about what Stacy had said. I thought about it, but dad gets really sad when he thinks about mommy so I didn’t. I just kissed him goodbye and left.

Kicking my feet in the snow every time I came up to the ground felt…good. I don’t know, I was just sort of angry and scared at the same time. Thinking about mom always made me feel like this. Why did she have to go and die? Nobody had ever given me a real reason, just fake ones. Sol just told me that he didn’t know.

Just then, Stacy grabbed my swing and stopped it. “Look over there,” she said pointing to a bench near a tree.

I could see two people sat on the bench holding hands. The guy had her face really close to the girl.

“That’s way to close, I’d push him away if I-”

“Shhhh….it’s going to happen!” Stacy said.

I kept quiet and watched carefully as the guy put his hands around the girl and then they…they kissed lips?

“What?” I said aloud.

Stacy just watched. They stayed like that, their mouths touching and their heads sort of moving before they separated.

“That,” Stacy said, “was IT!”

“What was that?” I was still watching them when a memory came to me. It was of mommy. Somebody was with her and they kissed lips. And then she died.

“That was kissing.” Stacy’s voice brought me back to the park.

“I thought kissing was-”

“No no, that’s what a real kiss is like. Brett told me.” Brett was her older brother. He was the smartest kid in his year so he knew everything.

“But-”

I stopped before watching as the guy lifted the girl up and carried her away. I could feel the colour draining from my face.

“Is she…” I couldn’t finish. She wasn’t moving. Was she dead? That would mean that was how mommy died.

“Is she what?”

I was trying to remember everything that happened. Someone kissed mommy, and then she died. She was lying on the floor and there was blood. Was the girl on the bench bleeding?

I leapt off the swings, ignoring Stacy calling me. I had to know. When I got to the bench, it was dirty, but there was no blood. I looked around in the direction they went in but I couldn’t see them. What should I do? I suddenly remembered what Stacy had said, about how Sol and Krissie were going to do it. They were going to kiss, then Krissie would die. I didn’t want her to die. I didn’t want Sol to be sad like dad. He was already like him a little.

I spun round nearly knocking into Stacy who had come up behind me.

“Are you okay?” she asked me.

“I’m fine, but I have to go home now.” I started to leave when she grabbed my wrist.

“Wait, there’s something I wanted to talk to you about,” she said.

I pulled away from her grip.

“This is serious, I have to go!” I called as I ran.

“This is serious too!” She called behind me, but I kept running. When I got to the edge of the park I turned round, but I couldn’t see her behind me.

From the park I ran as fast as I could. I had to get home before it happened. I had to get home before they did it.