Status: On hold, longterm

The Sweetest of Sugars

Chapter 5

I woke up when I heard my door open. I thought about pretending to sleep, but I knew that either Sol or dad could tell when I was faking it, so I sat up. It was Sol.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

I nodded and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I wanted a hug from him, but I wasn’t sure if he wanted one from me, because he came into the room but stood at the end of my bed. Usually, he would sit down next to me. Was he still mad? He didn’t look it.

“I just wanted to check on you,” he whispered. “Goodnight.”

He started to walk out of my room.

“Wait!” I called. I really wanted a hug, so I climbed out of bed and ran into him.

“I’m sorry,” I cried into his shirt.

“Hey, it’s okay,” he cuddled with me for a minute before lifting me up onto his side. “I’m not mad at you.”

He pressed my nose making me giggle.

“Is Krissie okay?” I asked. I just wanted to make sure.

“She’s fine, you’ll see her tomorrow okay?”

I nodded, putting my head back on his shoulder.

“Okay, now go to sleep.” He dropped me back on my bed and I snuggled under the covers. He tucked me in and then gently closed the door.

Even though my door was closed, I could still hear his footsteps as he went downstairs and into the living room. I could feel myself nearly asleep when I thought I heard the front door open and close, dad was home. I wanted to get up and run to him, but I still felt tired and I knew he wouldn’t be happy if I was still awake.

I kept listening and at first all I could hear was mumbling. Dad was probably talking to Sol. But then the voices were louder and I could hear running. What was going on? Just then I heard the kitchen door slam and then someone was banging on the door. Were we being attacked? I sat up in bed a part of me wondering whether to go down and help or hide here. Then I could hear dad’s voice as he was shouting. It sounded like it used to when he turned scary. Dad was angry again, he had been drinking. I remembered how it used to be and hid under the covers pretending to be asleep, just like how Sol used to tell me to.

Suddenly, I heard Sol scream. I covered my ears with the pillow and hoped that he was okay. I really hoped that he was okay.

Then the screaming stopped and I could hear footsteps on the stairs. They were slow and heavy meaning that it was dad. I lay as still as I could but could feel my heart beating really fast. I heard him open the door and saw the light shine through with his shadow. He stayed there for a moment breathing really hard. Then he coughed loudly. I nearly jumped, but lay still like a statue. Then the shadow left, but the door stayed open. I heard dad’s door open and then after a while I heared it slam shut.