She Danced a Jig

She Danced a Jig

“So how did the Mister and the Missus meet?” Jackson asked his fellow cowhand.

Anyone could see that Reuben and Nora Connors were the epitome of love, even with the opposite personalities they had. Reuben, or Ben, was a quiet man, who preferred listening to talking, which generally led a sort of wariness or almost fear of him, but if a person knew him well enough he was an exceedingly pleasant man with a good sense of humor. He was good with a gun, and a cowhand at heart, though he now owned his own ranch that his uncle had left to him. He also loved his wife, Nora Pearson-now-Connors, more than life itself. Nora loved making people laugh. She was talkative, and had a good sense of humor and all of her wits about her. She could make anyone smile even if they were in the foulest of moods. However, if someone made her mad, it would be the last thing that person ever did. She may be the most amiable person in Colorado but she grew up on the ranch. Nora Connors was outspoken, a good a shot as any gunfighter, and as tough as nails when she needed to be; though she hoped she didn’t need to be very often.

Jackson’s colleague, Bill Hodges, chuckled and continued, “He asked her to dance.” Jackson raised an eyebrow.

Smiling, Bill continued, “As ya’ll know, Ben is a quiet man, and Nora is not a quiet woman.”

Jackson snorted. “Ain’t that the truth.”

“Well, we came into town together, Ben and I, ‘cause his uncle wanted to talk about him inheritin’ the ranch. But it was also the morning of the annual Midsummer Festival. Everyone in town was getting ready, including half the boys in town who were aimin’ to dance with Nora that night. We hung around for the food and the drink, waitin’ for the dancin’ that started around sunset. Well Nora, who is --as you know-- one hell of a mandolin player, had been asked to play with some the rest of the fiddlers and such, much to the disappointment of all of those boys. So that night everyone was dancin’ an’ drinkin’ an’ havin’ a jolly ole time, when Nora asked for any requests, talkin’ ‘bout songs. Well then Ben, who had been starin’ at Nora the whole time, turned to me suddenly, took a swig of his beer then shoved it in my hands. Then, he marched straight over to that stage before anyone else got the chance. He tipped his hat and she leaned over a bit to hear him. And, now, I didn’t hear his exact words but he presumably ‘requested’ that she dance with him this next song. And, Jacks, I ain’t never seen a woman smile so brightly. She shoved her mandolin into Ole Marley’s hands, never takin’ her eyes off Ben for one second. He put his hands around her waist to help her get down. She turned back to the players and said, ‘Play us somethin’ lively, boys.’ Then she and Ben just jumped into the dance! Everyone was hootin’ an’ hollerin’ for Ben, for gettin’ Nora off the stage and gettin’ her to dance.”

Jackson laughed and said, “Ben asked her to dance? Ben?”

Bill smiled again. “Indeed he did. She didn’t dance with anyone else that night, to the annoyance of a few.” He cut himself off to laugh. “But they were married before the year was out. And no one could argue with that. They’re perfect for each other, and as close as possible for two people to be.”

They turned to watch Ben as he walked into the house. They could see Nora through the window of the kitchen. Ben walked up behind Nora, who was cooking, and wrapped his arms around her waist. He said something, then kissed her on the top of her head. She smiled and twisted around in his arms and draped her arms up over his shoulders, replying to whatever her husband had said.
Jackson smiled.

“Ya, got that right.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title from the quote: She danced a jig, she sung a song that took my heart away. --William Allingham