Surrendering

Getting Stuck

Yesterday would have been fantastic had I accidentally fallen and twisted my ankle in another PizzaHut. If the manager who rushed over wasn't you and I didn't have to be taken to the hospital immediately. If you just stayed in your nice franchise and not thrown your apron on a chair to throw yourself into the ambulance with me.

Had you just let me run from the shop, and not tried to call my name I would have seen that stupid orange wooden chair. I would have gotten away.

I had to pull my hand out of your reach three times after you tried to lock it into your saucy grip. The hospital being ten minutes away made me safe soon. The paramedic decided I would be fine in the back with my dear friend.

I don't recall calling you dear. Never.

The nurses swept you away when they X-rayed my foot, steered you out when they plastered my leg and glared you back when you took out a black marker to sign my cast. I have to say the nurses interpreted my glares at you well. It kept you away for twenty bliss filled minutes. I called my Ammy Jan (My dear mother).

My sister called from her hospital to have me kept over night so she could ensure my full health. The nurses told me and were quite impressed that I had a reputable doctor as an older sister. They assured me she would check me over the next day when she was done with a surgery two cities away.

Why had I passed on a glass of water? Somehow my shock had also dried my tongue and my voice would not come to shoo you out of my little room. And my ears, how they wished to be out of of use for those two hours, they felt hollow as your words echoed around inside. Straight to my brain. I love you.

"Excuse me sir, it's time for patients to rest for the night. Only family members are allowed to stay." A nurse said. Or was she an angel? I had to blink a few times to immerse myself into the reality of the moment.

"I'm her closest friend. Her family lives really far. They won't be able to visit. I have to stay." You stared up at the looming nurse in the blue scrubs.

She glanced over at my shaking head.

"We have really strict rules about that, I'm going to ask you to leave. You are free to come back tomorrow if Ms. Rasia wants." You stood, and the nurse wavered. Just a human nurse. Vulnerable to your devilish tricks.

"How long will she be staying then?" You stepped close up sucking in the beautiful eyes of the nurse.

"Uh.. maybe a few days. " She was stuttering. St.ut.er.ring.

You leaned in close. Her cheeks reddened. My eyes drooped.

"Thank you." With that you left. The nurse stared after you.

I yawned.

"Ms. Rasia, if you like we can allow your visitor to stay the night." My eyes bugged.

"No, please." I croaked.

"I'm sorry. I thought he might be your boyfriend. Were you distressed that we let him in?"

Sighing. I was so tired from your nonsense I couldn't even form the words to tell her to keep you out. To tell her that I didn't want you around and that she should send you off to an acting troupe in Italy.

"Alright dear, you should rest and I'll come see if you have any major swelling in the morning." The nurse left the room, and I went to sleep.

I finally got rid of you. Why are you so sticky? How did I get stuck with you for almost three hours? After three months of freedom, of being so able. Able to make new friends, join a volunteer group of mentors for teenagers, and even talking to my Ammy Jan more.

I am strong now. I didn't let you put rose coloured glasses upon me with those clingy hands. I was not eager for your return. I even woke up to your green eyes watching me. I prayed for hours, hardly catching a nap before breakfast. I prayed for safety and for security from God. For me to be kept safe from even seeing you again. To have so much love and good people around me always. To have the best companions and be with them in the hereafter. But, I am glad you came by today. It just seemed like so much in this world was going to be put right. Perhaps the accident was to aid you.

My father told me all about you when he came into my new room on the third floor.

A private room. My sister got me rolled in on a wheelchair and welcomed every doorway and doctor at the unfamiliar hospital with a homey look. Now, hidden away, she is assessing this injury you called out.

I can imagine the little box you got stuck into when you met my dad at the reception. It gives me such a comfort to have my home, my family, so close to me. Boxing you away and shipping you to a distance. But, honestly, I wish I had a better imagination, or even more, that I could have seen you two meet. And had he known how you almost trapped me. Taken me. That box would have been ring sized.

My Abou Jan told me about a tall man with short hair charming the receptionist to give him a room number. Flirting away her common sense and leaning in too close. She barely insisted on keeping only family permissible. You then claimed Ms. Rasia to be your fiance, and had her father not been standing there, maybe I would be squished into a cage of your own.

Perhaps you were trying to steal away her soul? Or turn her into a nothing?

Your insults had your father-in-law breathing down your neck quite soon. Perhaps if we weren't in North America that neck would have a little more snap to it from the black belt of karate that narrowed his vision on you. I am so glad that you came to be chased away by my own guard. My father. A piece of my home and heart.

I do not expect to see you any time soon. The wounds on your soul, and whatever dangerous glows that appeared unprecedented in my father's eyes are unlikely to heal eternally. And eternal freedom from your demonic sticky tricks would be lovely.

Now, I am headed with my family on a three week vacation to our home. Two cities away, in what direction you know not. Sincerity in the heart is a great strength, and prayer is the weapon of the believer. And I sincerely pray to never be vulnerable to your robbing ways. As you once stole away my comfort I pray you away. And as I pray you away I draw closer to home. To safety.