Falling Stars

december 30

12:58 PM

“You need to learn to live,” she chided over her cup of tea.

“I’m living just fine.”

“No, you survive. There’s a difference.”

“How do you live, then, if I’m not already doing so?”

Her eyes wandered past his and lingered on the outside world. There were so many ways to answer but he wouldn’t hear any of them. He would hear the coffee grinders in the background and the noisy chatter of fellow patrons. Even if his eyes followed hers, they would see the cars and the people and he would think about the places they were going to, what they were late for, the things he needed to finish once he left here. That was his problem.

“Appreciate the little things.”

“The little things,” he repeated.

“The falling stars. Smell the flowers, play in the rain; those things.”

“I haven’t time for those things anymore.”

“I’m going to help you. I promise by your 20th birthday, you’ll remember the falling stars and you’ll never stop looking for them.”

“My birthday?” He paused, thought about it, and she smiled. “12 days. Okay. Let’s see those falling stars.”
♠ ♠ ♠
this is a little different from things i'm used to doing. it's going to be a glimpse at the simple things in life, the day-to-day things we don't really pay attention to anymore now that we're "grown ups." it's about focusing on simplicity. it's about having everything and not realizing until it's too late.
i realized i'm interested in those overlooked little moments. so i'm going to try to write about it.