Falling Stars

january 1

10:56 AM

It was a quiet morning. The new year had begun and the city outside was still, unusually quiet and calm in the aftermath of last night’s events. The streets were littered with confetti and leftover fireworks. Somewhere downtown, their ice cream cones remained melted in puddles next to each other.

He stirred in the blankets. He managed to sneak his leg under the blanket, perfectly cocooned around her sleeping form. His cold skin brushed against hers, soft and warm from spending the entire night under the duvet he willingly chose to disregard. He never slept with a blanket.

“Stop,” she grumbled. He lifted his leg a bit, trailing his coldness along her warmth.

He felt her skin prickle beneath him, smiled with sleepy amusement. His fingertips brushed along her soft arm. Watching as her skin prickled and her arm twitched as she readied herself to pull away. He rolled onto his side, blowing a soft puff of air against her cheek, rustling the hair that had fallen there overnight.

“Mornin,” he muttered into the expanse of her shoulder.

Her warm hand slipped from under the covers and rested against his stomach. He noticeably gasped at the sudden touch. Her hand pressed flat against his softly defined muscles, the warmth passing from her body to his. Her hand lifted and the tips of her fingers danced along his skin delicately.

Rising, he stared at her face. Eyes still closed, lips held a straight line. Easing himself down again, he pressed his head against the pillow and bit at his bottom lip to keep from making any noise. Her dancing fingers stilled themselves, falling flat again. For a moment he wondered if she had actually done that in her sleep.

Content with staring at her sleeping form, he gently cupped her cheek, softly tracing his thumb across her lips. He knew she was sleeping from the lack of response. Usually she would have smiled or swatted him away with a remark that friends don’t do that sort of thing. But in the peaceful quiet, he took his opportunity to explore.

His fingers lingered on her full lips. They were stained a rosey red from the lipstick she had adorned the day prior, still swollen from their incessant kisses. The tips of his fingers traced her eyebrows next, then felt along her cheekbones, down her chin and neck, and fanned out to her collarbones.

The hollow of her clavicle housed little nips and marks from the night’s adventures. Soft, typically pale skin now branded purple and red. Tracing one lovebite in particular, a smile pulled at his lips. The darkest of all, he knew it would hurt if he applied pressure.

Pushing aside the duvet, his hand dipped to the valley of her breasts.

Her hand moved to cup his hip. His movements paused. Her face remained innocent, asleep. Her hand stilled where it was, fingers pressed into his v-line. A strangled groan escaped his lips. She had to be messing with him now but he continued on. He skimmed the tops of her breasts, trailing his way to her other collarbone.

Bravely he lowered his hand farther under the duvet. His fingers grazed her soft curves, appreciating the dips against her ribcage and the fullness in her hips. He tickled the slight crevice of her hipbones and glided across her bellybutton to the other side to repeat his actions upwards.

Her hand rose again and her fingertips grazed along the band of his boxers. She traced her nails against the v-line on his other side, eliciting a breathy moan to fall from his lips. Her fingers slowly worked their way up his paralyzed body. She fell still for a moment upon reaching the crook of his neck, but continued once he exhaled a sigh of relief. Her hand tangled in his hair, gently massaging his scalp. He whimpered, wriggling.

“I told you to stop,” she breathed. Her fingers gently tugged his hair, his head tilting back easily. She rolled on top of him, opening her blues to him. The amusement shone in her eyes.

She nudged his head to the side for access to his neck, sucking gently on his pulse point. A soft curse floated from his lips, hands gripping her hips to keep her steady as he wriggled involuntarily. She shifted her hips to straddle him and abruptly sat up, the duvet falling away.

“Ready to say goodbye?” she questioned.

He reached for his phone. “I’ve got to tell the lads first.”

She nodded, leaning so her chest touched his. She placed a kiss against his lips. “I’m going to shower.”

Rolling off him, she reached for her own phone. She typed a simple message to her brother before setting the phone back in its place on the bedside table. She stretched before sleepily trudging her way across his bedroom, into the adjacent bathroom. His eyes watched intently as she shuffled away, clad only in her panties and bra.

Biting his lip, he suppressed a groan and stared at the ceiling. His phone lay across his chest, the text message sent out to his best friends. He waited a few minutes to hear the water start but it never happened. Her phone buzzed a few times, his only once, but he didn’t care to look at either. He had just set his phone next to hers, swung his legs over the edge of the bed and sat up, prepared to go check on her, when she appeared in the doorway.

“I think day one should be about staying in bed,” she offered. He nodded eagerly.

She expertly rifled through his drawers, pulling out one of his t-shirts. After tugging it over her head she returned to his bedside. His hands cautiously reached out and set on her hips. She wiggled her way between his legs, her chest nearly touching his, hands wrapped in his hair. His hands slid to her backside and gave her a gentle squeeze.

“I like the sound of that,” he agreed lazily.

He swiftly bent her thighs, tugging her up into his lap, and rolled her over on his bed. He stared down at her as she giggled, thrilled by his sudden actions. Her eyes sparkled in the early morning light, her dark hair fanned out around her. The giggles softened, then ceased altogether, but he could still hear it ringing in his head and see happiness in her eyes.

“I never want to leave this moment,” he admitted quietly.

“Why?”

“Because I’ve everything I need. My best friend, comfy bed, warm blankets, no interruptions.”

“You’ll have a lifetime of moments like these,” she softly promised, fingertips absently drawing against his cheek.

He pressed his cheek into her palm, stilling her actions. “I quite like this one right here.”

“Maybe you can have a lifetime of these moments, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments, please?