Status: A work in progress!!

Clockwork

Chapter 6

I remembered the first time that I had nervously sat, awaiting the final that would settle my fate. It was either this, or I had wasted all of these years in the hope of becoming a physician’s assistant – preferably with children. I loved working with children and that was my passion.

It had been hard with the plague and everything, so I turned away from my love of children. I just couldn’t; I couldn’t watch them slowly wither away like that… It was hard enough with the adults. Would this change everything? I could have the child I always wanted – and I could follow my dream job as well.

This time around, I wasn’t so nervous for the test. Maybe I hadn’t been nervous for the test the last time either. I could only remember that I was so angry… I was mad that Danny couldn’t be good enough for me when I had invested so much time into him; I was mad that I had loved him so madly and still he chose to flirt with other girls all the while. It killed me and I didn’t know how to handle it.

Now, I was confident. With all of my experience in the medical field, and this stupid plague, I knew that the test would be a breeze. I’d graduate just the same as I did the last time – but this time, I would have Danny to even celebrate with. And somewhere in the midst of that I would be having his baby… The thought seemed spectacular to me, so as I stepped into the waiting area for the test, I was calm.

“Everything go okay?” I heard the voice and I shook my head. Right before the test, really?

“Do you doubt me?” I asked. “Of course it went okay… The deal wasn’t that we had to do it right away, right?”

“Naw, I just know… You’re stubborn. I just was worried you wouldn’t be able to overlook his flaws, even if he does love you like mad.”

“How much do you know about us?”

“More than even you know… But that’s not important – it won’t be important unless we finish this thing… preferably tonight…”

I frowned a little. I didn’t want to go back… Was I supposed to skip all of the years we had and go back to my present? I gritted my teeth.

“And what happens then? Do I have to miss all of my future with him and go back to my present?”

“No, you can stay here… You can raise your child together and enjoy your new future together… You don’t have to miss out on all of that…”

“And you?”

“You’ll be seeing me again in your future.”

We were called into the testing area then and I smiled lightly. “I’ll be seeing you soon.” He murmured as I walked away from him. I was confident in this of course. It had been awhile since I had actually had to be tested, but I had a feeling it would be no different.

~ ~ ~


As soon as it was over, I headed over to Danny’s. I didn’t call him or anything, but I figured he would be expecting me… He had invited me in the first place after all, right?

If he wasn’t expecting me, he didn’t show it as he pulled me into a hug right away. “Do well, baby?” He asked teasingly and I leaned up to peck his lips.

“Yes… I think I aced it!” I said with a smile and he pulled me in against him with a smile.

A frown grew onto his face and it drew a frown onto my face too. Why was he looking like that? It was making my heart beat like crazy and I pulled away from him, shaking my head.

“Danny… Is something wrong?”

A smile replaced his frown and he shook his head, running a hand up to caress my cheek. “No,” he said with a smile. “I’m just… I think we need to talk – I’ve wanted to for a while, but I didn’t want to stress you out before your tests…”

“Danny… You’re scaring me.” I whispered leaning into his chest and he pushed me away, pulling my lips up to touch his.

“Don’t be scared baby… I’ve just needed to do this for a while.” That was when he got down on one knee and he pulled out a small, silver box. Inside was the diamond ring and I wanted to cry. This was what I had given up the first time? He had wanted to marry me, and I had let him go?

“Baby… I know that I come with a lot of flaws – but I love you. Will you please do me the honor of becoming my wife?”

I tackled him and cuddled my arms around him. “Of course I will! I love you, Danny!”

“I love you too, Felicity!”

And I kissed him until I was breathless, letting him pull me to the bedroom.