A Dad is a Son's First Hero and a Daughter's First Love

Not Like This

Evgeni's POV
I had been nervous all week, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, I walked around the house aimlessly as I worried about our home opener.

"You are going to do great," Kate lent up and kissed me.
"How do you know?"
"Because I believe in you, you are a fantastic hockey player," she grabbed my face, "stop worrying," she gave me a final kiss, "now go in there and kick some capitals butt."

Her words helped a little but with the mayhem of the locker room I was worked up again in no time.
"Hey G," Sid walked in with a big smile on his face.
"Hey," I continued to tie my skates trying to stay in my own little world.
"Just nervous, bid deal," I shrugged.

I didn't feel like talking, I had a bad feeling about something, something was going to happen. My stomach was tight and I felt like I was going to be sick. Geno get it together, it's hockey, you got this.

I did, I got it together, I was on fire and loved every second of the game where we won 4-1 over the flyers.

"So Geno I bet your summer has been busy, we heard your fiancée had twins? How is fatherhood?" I hated interviews, not only was my English terrible when I was nervous but they always asked annoying questions.
"Is good, hard sometimes, but worth it."
"and what about your fiancées son?" I hated it when people said Asher was Kate's, I mean biologically he is but I have been more of a father to him than his 'real' father.
"My son, Asher is my son..."
"Daddy?" I saw his sad little eyes peering through all the media and I knew by his face he had figured out what I had been dreading to tell him.
"Ash no, stay," I stood up and everyone moved out of my way.
"You lied," the tears began to stream down his face, "you lie to me!" he ran away.

I looked at the woman who had made the comment, giving her my best angry eyes before running after him.
"Ash come back," I chased after my little upset man before snatching him up in my arms.
"No let me go!" He began kicking and screaming, "let me go! You not real dad! You lie!"

I saw Kate appear out of the corner of my eye and she rushed over to us.
"Where the twins?"
"They are with Vero, what happened? Sid said something a reporter. Ash what's wrong?" she ran her hand over his head as I struggled to keep him in my arms.
"He not my dad!" he screamed wriggling from my arms but before he could get away Kate snatched his wrist and stopped him.
"What? Who said that?" she knelt down infront of him and put her hands on his shoulders and made him look at us.
"The lady she say I am your son, twins his, yours," he looked up at me as if he just disowned me with that label.
"Ash," she sighed pulling him in for a hug, "I think we need to go home and talk."
"I don't belong," he mumbled.

She picked him up and my upset little boy wrapped his arms around her neck and looked at me, his eyes telling me just how let down he felt.

I didn't know what I was going to so but I hoped to god it would just pass.

Kate's POV
I was angry at the reporter for saying such a thing and if I had have been there I probably would have gone on a crazy protective mother spree.

I headed back into the locker room where Vero was making sure the twins were being fussed over.
"Is he ok?" she ran her hand over Asher's little forehead but he pulled away with a little whine and buried his face into my shoulder.
"We're going to have to have a little talk when we get home," I put a reassuring hand on his back and tried to settle him down.
"Would you like us to look after the twins tonight?"
"V thanks but we will be fine, you need to get some rest for that baby of yours," her stomach w as starting to protrude a little and in no time they would have their own bundle of joy.

I felt so sorry for my little man as he sat in the back seat of our painfully silent car.

I carried Asher upstairs to our room and put him into our bed before going to help Evgeni put the twins to bed.

"I am sorry," he sighed leaning on Luka's crib as if it was the only thing holding him up.
"It's ok, it's not your fault," I put a reassuring hand on his back.
"No it is, he not find out now, not like this," he shook his head and walked off.

I left him to his own devices, I didn't want to be fighting with him, we didn't need that right now.

"Ash buddy?" I headed back into our room where Asher was snuggled up in the blankets on Evgeni's side of the bed.
I could see how badly he was hurting and I would do anything to protect him from all of this but some thing's we just don't have any control over.