A Dad is a Son's First Hero and a Daughter's First Love

It Isn't Always That Simple

Kate's POV
"Ash buddy?" I headed back into our room where Asher was snuggled up in the blankets on Evgeni's side of the bed.

I could see how badly he was hurting and I would do anything to protect him from all of this but some thing's we just didn't have any control over. He was going to find out sooner or later and I would have rathered him know now and adjust to it then find out when he's 13 or something and resent me and Evgeni forever.

"Look I don't know what you heard and I know it's going to be hard for you to understand all of this but I need you try ok?" I laid down next to him and pulled him into my side.
"Ok."

"Evgeni isn't you real father, not what people call your biological father," I knew I was going to have to get into the birds and the bees a little to help me out on this one, but at least I would get the 'where do babies come for?' question out of the way too.
"What's that?" he frowned.
I knew it, "You know when mummy and daddy had the twins?" I was still going to refer to Evgeni as Daddy to keep him connected to the idea.
"Yeah."
"Well it takes a mummy and daddy to make a baby, sometimes two like we did. I am not going into how and all that you will learn when you older but I wasn't with daddy when I had you."
"Well who then? Who my daddy?" he sat up with a grumpy face on.
"I am getting to that mr grumpy," I frowned at him, if he was going to get short with me then I wasn't going to give him the answers he wanted.
"Do you remember mummy's friend Jack? He came to your birthdays, and Christmas and a few other things."
"Yeah is he my dad?" he looked hopeful.
"Yeah he is your biological father."
"Well why you not with him? Why mummy? Why?" he stood up and stamped his foot, "you could be with him and I have my real dad back."
"It's not that easy Ash," I sighed.
"Yes it is," he sat with sad eyes and looked right at me, "isn't it?... Mummy?" he grabbed my face with his little hands, god did I love my little boy so much. I wished I could just make him understand, but no that would be making life simple and that's not how it is supposed to be.
"No Ash, it's not and what about the twins? I can't take them away from their real dad."
"They can stay here."
"No because then they won't have their real mummy either."
"It's not fair!" He got up and stormed out.

I wasn't going to argue, I wasn't going to try and talk to him anymore, he wouldn't understand while he was angry so I wasn't going to bother.

Evgeni's POV
"It's not fair!" I heard the little boy yell and storm out of the room as I sat in the nursery with Luka.

"Evgeni?" Kate peered in the room looking rather defeated.
"He isn't going to listen right now, I will try again tomorrow."
"I still have them," I looked at Luka who was sound asleep on my chest.
"He will come around, he always does."

"If he not want me to be dad, we can't make him," I shook my head. 

The thought of not having Asher as my son tore me apart. I loved him as if he was my own and I would do anything to make it that way.

"Maybe we could," she ran her hand through my hair with a smile on her face, "well at least legally."
"What you mean?" I frowned.
"You could adopt him? He will have your last name and on his birth certificate you will be his father. I mean it doesn't make up for the emotional stuff that Asher might feel but it stops Jack from taking him away from us."

Us, Kate and I were a team and I loved that. I had never had a relationship where I felt like one with someone. As corny as it is, I was exactly that with Kate.