A Dad is a Son's First Hero and a Daughter's First Love

Kids Are Cruel With Icing On Top

Kate's POV
"How he go?" Evgeni asked about Asher's hockey as we talked over FaceTime. He had been on a road trip through Canada for almost a week now and it was killing me. Asher missed him, the twins missed him, the dogs were just depressed every time he left the house and I missed him every second he was gone.

"He's a little upset, they lost again and he still hasn't scored a goal yet." Asher was very passionate about his hockey and even though it was all fun he still didn't like losing.
"Can I talk to him?"
"Sure."

"Hey Ash!" I called out only to realise he was right in front of me sitting at the kitchen bench.
"Yeah," he mumbled.
"Daddy wants to talk to you," I turned the phone around to face him but he pushed it away.
"No hockey talk," he put his head down in his arms.
"Well maybe he wants to say hello."
"Hi..."
"Ash," I couldn't help but laugh at him, "you are just like your dad," I ran my hand through his hair.
"What? I not like that when lose," Evgeni looked offended.
"No you are worse, buts its ok I love you all the same."

"Geno!" I heard someone screech in the background.
"What is going on?" I frowned as the phone began to shake.
"Flower get beat up by Sid and Brandon, I save him, one moment."

I watched Asher mope around as he headed outside. My poor little guy really loved his hockey and he really loved to win too. 

"I am back, Flower safe," Evgeni puffed as he picked up the phone again.
"Good."

We continued to talk about the twins and the wedding and how the new house was looking. There was so much going on and so little time.

"You realise in 3 months we will be getting married," I reminded him.
"Yes, count each day. Sid already annoyed."
"Well," Sid took the phone, "you don't have to wake up to being threatened by his weirdly soft lips and celebrations."
"I don't," Evgeni snatched the phone back, "Sid lie they not always soft."
"Well I like them when they are soft but please stop kissing Sid... Hey sweetie the twins are up so I have to get going, I will see you tomorrow, I love you."
"I love you."

"Hey little guy," I picked up Luka. He was looking more and more like Evgeni each day and it was precious.

I loved spending time with the twins. They were growing up so fast and before we knew Evgeni and I would be watching our kids go off to college or work or having a family of their own. But at least we would have each other.

I set the twins up in their high chairs and gave them a toy each to keep them happy while I went to check on Asher.

"Hey bud, what's wrong?" I sat down on the back step with my little man.
"Nothing," he mumbled.
"Oh come on, you know mum knows when something is wrong so you can never hide it from me."
"I don't want to play hockey anymore."
"But I thought you loved it," I put my arm around him.
"I do but all the kids mean to me," he settled into my side.
"What? What do they say?" 
"That I only play on the team because of daddy."

Asher had been moved up to play with the 6-7 year olds and he sometimes had a hard time trying to keep up with the kids who had a 2 year head start on him.

"That's rubbish, you play on that team because you are a great player. Just because you don't score goals doesn't mean you aren't a good hockey player. Daddy doesn't always score goals, he sets up James, just like you and Rhys."

Rhys and Asher had been the best of friends since Asher was sick and now they were this inseperable pair of hockey nuts.
"Do they say the same to Rhys?"
"Sometimes but he score goals," he sighed.
"Well I will have a talk to their parents next week then," I rubbed his back, "but how about we have some cookies and milk for dinner."
"Cookies aren't real dinner," he frowned.
"Doesn't matter, mummies too tired to cook," I stood up and put my hand out for him.

Evgeni's POV
I couldn't stand being away from Kate and the kids much longer and I wanted to surprise her. I decided to catch a red eye flight home so I could wake up to my favourite people in the whole world.

I felt her tense up as I slipped into bed and wrapped my arms around her, "it's ok, it's me," I kissed her cheek and she relaxed into my arms.
"Evgeni? What are you doing home?" she rolled over and buried her face into my chest.
"Surprise you, home early," I ran my hands through her hair watching her pur at my touch.
"I forgot to tell you on the phone, our court date with Jack is on the 20th November."

I tried to go over the schedule in my head and I didn't recall seeing anything on that date.
"I get Asher as my real son then?"
"You sure will," she smiled her beautiful smile before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep.

If there was one thing I was excited about it was making my family official. Marrying Kate and adopting Asher would be the icing to my already amazing cake of life.