A Dad is a Son's First Hero and a Daughter's First Love

Change For Our New Life

Kate’s POV
“No you stay,” I felt Evgeni’s large hand pulled me back into bed.
“Evgeni,” I complained. Being tired, awake every hour or so and more paranoid than usual having Evgeni pull me back into bed wouldn’t normally bother me but now it was pissing me off.
“I have to check on him, if we don’t get any sleep we will miss our flight tomorrow,” I growled pulling free of his grasp to check on Luka who had spent most of the night crying.

“Hey baby boy,” I always knew how to be calm with them even when they were ruining what had become my favourite activity of the day, sleep.

I had eventually calmed him down and put him back in his bassinet before retreating back to the comfort of our bed.

I wasn’t sure how long it was before our 1 month old son decided to start crying again but when he did god did he make daddy angry.

Evgeni flipped back the covers and stormed over to the tiny beds in the corner and pulled out the crying little boy, “DO YOU EVER STOP CRYING?! WE NEED SLEEP!”

Little Luka stopped crying in an instant and a shocked looked covered his face when he heard his dad’s angry voice was being directed at him.

I sat up equally as shocked but by then Evgeni was already giving up and slumped to the floor with Luka in his arms.

I scrambled out of bed and to his side, “I am sorry,” he shook his head over and over, “I am sorry,” he held Luka to his chest and placed a kiss to the top of his head.

“Evgeni,” I put my hand on his shoulder.
He looked at me with apologetic eyes, “I am sorry,” he sighed dropping another kiss to Luka’s head as I rubbed his back.
“It’s ok come on,” I tried to take Luka from his arms but Evgeni didn’t budge.
“No,” he kept Luka to his chest before climbing to feet and carrying him back to our bed.

I decided to just leave him and not make a big deal out of it. We were stressed, tired and Evgeni was unusually uneasy around me and right now I was going to make the most of the quiet and sleep.

*****************************************


Evgeni’s POV
After 15 hours of travel, 15 hours of trying to keep the twins from crying and 15 hours of keeping Asher occupied I was exhausted but we were finally in Russia.

I was trying not to let what happened last night bother me. I hadn’t meant to yell at Luka, he was just a baby, he didn’t understand but I was too busy getting myself worked up over what Kate would say.

“Daddy?” Asher looked up at me as we walked out of the terminal.
“Yeah bud?” I looked down at the tired 4 year old plodding behind me.
“I am tired, you carry me?” his little pleading eyes were too much.
“Pass me Luka,” Kate took the little twin from me so I could pick up our much bigger son.

I had to admit I hadn’t been spending as much time with Asher as I would have liked to but the twins were just taking up so much of my attention. I loved holding them while the slept or making them smile but with Asher I could really interact with him and teach him things. I couldn’t wait for that stage with the twins.

I was relieved when we had finally made it to my apartment in Moscow. I was probably going to have to up size since it was only two bedrooms but I hadn’t been here in well over a year.

“It still isn’t that small,” Kate climbed into bed next to me after making sure the kids were asleep.
“Yeah but Asher need own room,” I frowned.
“Not now he doesn’t,” she shrugged.
“I think he should, he needs own space. Sid tell me twins are hard for Ash.”

She gave up with that statement. She wanted Asher to be happy no matter what.
“Then we can go house shopping while we are here,” she shrugged.
“That sounds good.”
“But no big out there houses like your old place,” she jabbed me in the side.
“I want to ask about that,” we got comfy laying in the dark of our room.
“What?” she rolled over resting on my chest.
“We should build house.”
“That’s not a question that is a suggestion.”
“Doesn’t matter we do it. Pittsburgh, bigger house,” I shrugged.
“What’s wrong with our house now?” she pouted.
“New life, new house,” and in a few days I was hoping I would have a new fiancée too.

I loved being back in Russia. It wasn't the same as Pittsburgh, everyone spoke Russian for a start. The one thing I loved the most was the humming sound of cars and buses. Somehow they could get me to fall asleep even with that nervous feeling running around in my stomach.