Status: Definitely going to be slowly updated

Snapshot of a Story

A Piece of Work

I walked into work the next day unable to wipe the grin from my face. “Well someone sure is in a great mood today! What happened?”
“Can’t a person just be in a good mood?” I grinned, but knew I wouldn’t be able to get away with just saying that. “Okay, okay. I went over to Sergio’s last night and had a really great time. We just talked the whole time, about everything. Well, and swam a little bit. And I may have stayed the night..” I saw Ezra’s eyes start to get huge and stopped him from what I already knew he was going to say. “No, we just kissed. Nothing else. Honestly, who do you think I am?”
“The luckiest girl in the world. Duh,” Ezra replied smartly, though I knew he was extremely happy for me. “Are you going to hang out again soon?”
“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “He said he’d give me a call when he gets out of practice.”
Ezra just shook his head in disbelief at how casual I was about all of this. But to me, I didn’t see the Sergio Ramos of Real Madrid, I saw the Sergio from school who’d been my friend but simply lost touch with after elementary school, so a lot of the magnitude of the whole situation had worn off a lot. I shrugged and continued into the back office to get a head start on the day by responding to emails and phone calls and getting the cameras and everything ready for the day. While I was doing so I considered the upcoming Confederations Cup in Brazil. ABC Spain had mentioned to me a while back about going with the team to Brazil and photographing their experience there as well as the games, but they hadn’t mentioned anything recently so I doubted anything would come of it. Though I had to admit, the offer sounded like the trip of a lifetime, especially considered with whom I’d be going and spending most of my time. I decided to not let myself think about it instead and save myself the risk of becoming sad about the idea of another photographer, especially female, going in my place.
The day passed fairly quickly, I only had a fashion shoot that took a few hours and ran some proofs over to another museum representative who was interested in hosting an exhibition of my work in a few months. I was driving back to the gallery from the museum when my phone rang, and the name ‘Sergio’ popped up on the screen. I smiled and answered through the Bluetooth option on my car - no way was I going to drive a manual Porsche Cayenne one handed through the streets of Madrid.
“Diga?”
“Hola niña, que pasa?” Came Sergio’s voice through my speakers. (What’s up?)
“On my way back to the gallery for a few minutes before I head home. You’re all done at practice?”
“del Bosque wants to talk to us for a few minutes in a little bit. After that, would you like to maybe go to a movie? I know a great outdoor cinema not too far away, and it’d be dark enough for nobody to realize who we are.”
“Um, I don’t know if you realize this but, you’re a little more famous than I am. And by a little more I mean a lot more. I’m not the one to be concerned about. But sure, that sounds fun. What time?” I asked, pulling into the small parking lot of my gallery.
“Well the movie is at 8 and it takes about 45 minutes for me to get there.”
“So it’d take a normal person at least an hour and a half to get there, right?”
“Right. So, I’ll just swing by and get you after practice?” At this I could hear an increase in the volume of the yelling and talking in the background and could only assume the Spanish players were giving him a hard time.
I laughed and agreed before giving him my address and letting him return to his friends before heading back inside to grab my things and do last minute chores before heading home and getting ready. He’d better be happy I didn’t have much to do to get ready or we’d just have to be late. Luckily for me Ezra had already left, allowing me to avoid what would have surely been a twenty minute interrogation about my plans for the rest of the evening. I was home within thirty minutes and left with the perpetually difficult decision of what to wear. I eventually managed to decide on wearing some black skinny jeans, a light gray tank top with a turquoise cardigan over it, because I’m always cold, and some flip flops. Before heading out of my room I sprayed on some perfume and put on my simple gold ring and necklace with a small gold ‘P’ on it.
I had a few extra minutes before I knew Sergio would be here, so I made us both a sandwich and put them in Ziploc bags, which went into my purse. By the time I’d finished doing this I heard a knock at my door. I swung the door open to reveal Sergio, dressed in jeans and a plain white t shirt. Little did he knew was that simple jeans and a white or black shirt was one of the most attractive things a guy could possibly wear - maybe even more attractive than a tux. I smiled and followed him to his car, which today was an Audi S5.
The drive there was filled with mostly small talk - we had mostly caught up last night with everything about our jobs and the major stuff after elementary school. Eventually the conversation turned to the Confederations Cup that was approaching, and how excited he was for it. I admit I’d zoned out a little just thinking of how cute it was that he was still so excited and passionate for his livelihood and passion, but was brought back to the conversation when I heard him say, “Maybe you could go with us and photograph the trip and games or something!”
I smiled and shrugged. “Maybe. ABC actually mentioned something about it a few months ago, but never really said anything else about it. If not, I can always just cheer you on from here.”
He glanced at me before turning his gaze back on the road. “Well surely you can at least go to the final, because I can just feel that we’re going to make it all the way! We all just work so well together and have so much fun even at practice when we’re killing ourselves training! It’s the best feeling in the world knowing you’re playing the sport you love with your best friends, you know?”
The whole time he was rambling I just looked at him, though I don’t think he noticed. When he finished I just nodded and said, “Yeah, I do. I mean, I guess photography is a little different, but I think I do. I remember playing some pick up years ago, anyway. You’re feeling lucky, there are so many people who’d give anything to be doing what you’re doing.”
Sergio put a hand on my knee and said, “Yes, and I’m thankful every day. I’m particularly thankful right now, for without my football I never would’ve seen you again after school and going to see whatever movie this is with you!”
I laughed and rolled my eyes. “You are so cheesy. Wait...you don’t even know what movie this is?!”
“Um...well not exactly. I just thought, ‘hey, movie!’ and thought it’d be fun. I guess we’ll find out?”
“You are a piece of work, Sergio Ramos. A piece of work.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ermagerd. The Confederations Cup Final though<<<<<<<
I'm so sad :( Poor Sergio :( :( :(
And everyone needs to stop blaming him. That pisses me off more than anything else in the world, when one person is blamed for the faults of a whole team. And stupidity of a referee and bad sportsmanship of the other team. Rawr.