Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

frigid

"Bon."

If it wasn't for the fact that she loved the nickname and was familiar with the voice saying it, an ear piercing scream would've ripped from her lips, causing pain for everyone within a ten mile radius. Even so she still erupted a small squeal for she wasn't exactly prepared, or in the mood, for the company of a certain someone. 

She hastily whipped around. If she was given the ability to burn people with one harsh look, she would've done so. Because she hadn't given such an angry glower at anyone before. Nobody could've been sure of what type of glare she was sending the boy. 

It could've been an icy glare; nothing but pure loathing for their current circumstance of the person standing in all their glory before them. Or it could've been a glare with flames flicking behind her eyes. A fire she wished she could've inflicted upon the boy since heat was basically his weakness. Warmth and fire for underlying passion or feeling. 

Either way, from the conflicted expression on Jack's face, it pleased her to know that the one look affected him. Even for just a few seconds. Ebony wanted him to see what he'd made her go through the past few days through her eyes. 

"Bonbon, let me explain." His fingers were spread and arms in front of him as if she was readying for a vicious attack. It wouldn't have been a surprise if she did use violence considering the amount of crazy she had written all over her face.

She scoffed knowing this method. She knew he was buttering her up; and using her nickname would be just the right way to do it. At least that's what Ebony thought he wad trying to do. She wouldn't have any of his bullshit pass through just because of a stupid little childhood name. 

Ebony waited for him to continue. He just stared at her, dumbfounded. With a sigh, she turned her back to him once again, going back to her previous intentions. She unzipped her bag and grabbed any object she though necessary or at least am arm length close, stuffing them in. 

Her eyes travelled, stopping at her chaotic bed residing beside her dresser. Since Jack still hadn't said another word she finally didn't care that he was most likely intensely watching her and began moving around the mess. 

She was like a robot. It was a habit for Ebony to clear her mattress of the random things not meant to be on it so it was routine for her hands. She didn't need her brain to interfere. And anyway she wouldn't have been thinking properly as her thoughts were a wild disarray. Her head was as unorganized as the clutter and that was saying something. 

A cold hand pressed against her shoulder. The gesture forced her to turn around again. Though once their eyes clashed she regretted it - she'd never been hit by the craving of hugging someone so bad before however she managed to restrain herself from throwing her body onto him. Shame was only the start. 

"Look," she began, swallowing because her nerves were on overdrive, "just say the truth and I'll happily talk through it with you okay? I know what you told me isn't the real reason and I believe I deserve some honesty."

Ebony refrained from mentioning the whole Adrian situation as it probably would've made things worse. Sure, Jack obviously had no problem saying a lie but breaking a promise wasn't exactly her favourite thing to do. Even though Jack did somehow deserve this. 

"What do you mean? That is the truth," he said almost pleadingly. "The other guardians thought that I'd been spending too much time with you and I think I've been neglecting my position as a guardian too. There's children around the world who need me."

She inhaled deeply trying to calm herself down. "Yes I know, that's one reason. But I know there's something else, Jack. I'm your best friend, why won't you tell me?"

"Because there isn't another one Ebony!" he yelled. "Why do you think I'd lie about this, huh? Keeping the reason as to why I've disappeared for days from you?" There was a moment of silence between the two friends before the heart-pulling sentence finally streamed out. "Don't you trust me anymore?"

His questions, or rather allegations, left a jaw-slacked Ebony. The tone he used for the latter question stung her with such grace. Whenever people used the trust excuse she always thought that it was their only way of painlessly slithering out of a situation. But when Jack mentioned her apparently lack of trust in him her knees almost gave out.

She felt as if she'd eventually weaken enough to form in a dollop of stupid human bits. His stare made her feel unworthy of his presence and shameful that she even thought that he'd lie to her in the first place. She just couldn't believe that it was his reason - it seemed almost silly. 

After seconds of contemplation, Ebony cleared her throat almost daintily and slowly straightened put her jacket, smoothing the surface. It was only to buy time obviously. 

"You're right, I'm sorry for even thinking it. I just...I just missed your winter joy I guess."

He mumbled something about the winter theme and she knew he was being smug about it.

But she wasn't sorry. Not apologizing for accusing him of being a dishonest friend anyway; she was apologizing for what she had been planning to do. She still had yet to tell Jack she planned on going to the movies with Adrian without him (she'd broken the promise because of all this confusion) and she didn't think she ever wanted to tell him.

Even though she hadn't fully accepted his reason, she still felt partially guilty about lashing out on him - it wasn't her to be so mad at him at all - and for going against her word. He'd find out sooner or later and she was prepared for the heat. 

At least that's what she continued to tell herself.

"So um, could you just disappear again cause I'm spending the day with Aspen and I don't want distractions." Ebony tried to say this as gently as possible and mightily failed.

The winter spirit groaned. "Seriously Ebony, I have no idea why you're over-reacting about something as little as this," he murmured, having the ego to even add a small chuckle.

Her eyes squinted, glowering at the boy between the slits of her eyelids. "As if you're any better! You went absolutely skits when..." The girl stopped herself before this conversation transformed into a screaming festival. She didn't want the problem of Adrian resurfacing right this minute.

"When what?" 

She shook her head forcing the both of them to forget about it. Maybe she was over-reacting, but maybe this reaction was healthy and maybe it was because of a proper reason to get upset at him. After all, he had driven her to a place of infinite frustration and his interesting opinions were maddening. 

She still didn't want to accept that the reason she was over-reacting was because of what she and Aspen had discussed earlier. It struck something in her that she realized had been growing since around five years ago but all too dense to even have second thoughts about it. Either that, or she didn't want these feelings to build up otherwise havoc will arise.

"Fine, be immature about it. You're so childish at times."

That mere and shamefully weak insult did it. Usually she would've brushed it off as one of Jack Frost's playful and unwavering comebacks but it stirred her up. Like a witch stirring the end of her broomstick in a frantic, boiling pot filled to the rim with all sorts of wild fantasies.

"Oh yeah?" she barked. "Maybe that's the only reason why I still believe in you!" 

But when Ebony realized what kind of pain she'd flicked on him, it was too late. He was out of her bedroom in a quick flash, leaving behind a trail of frost and the harsh bitterness, not within the atmosphere, but on her tongue. It was ice cold as was her last words spoken to him.

As ice cold as the gleam in his eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
...and the ice breaks.