Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

cold

The ice skating rink wasn't of the norm. It wasn't the usual large wide dome, with a patch of slick ice set in the centre and the one way you could use it was if you paid the entrance fee. No, this was one was the original and traditional rink.

There were plenty of bodies of water scattered throughout the small city but rather humongous town though not all of them were deemed to be crack resistant. Ebony's city council had found only two safest lakes in their entire community. 

Once the vehicle stopped moving, the car placed at the nearest possible parking spot, the young girl bent down gathering all the necessities she had brought for this mini outing. The objects were dropped into a tote bag and her skates were hung over the remaining shoulder, the shoes thumping against her lower back each time she moved.

Ebony paused. Her eyes scanned the public park before warily resting on her mother. The older woman merely sighed and gestured for her daughter to run out and join the people outside. Ebony quickly thanked her mum, quiet apologizing for how she'd behaved earlier, finding to reason to have had such a tantrum about it.

She approached the frozen lake, walking at an overly brisk pace, not wanting to waste anymore minutes. Ebony had planned this entire day out ever since she found out that one of her best friends were visiting the next town over for a week or so. And she was given these pieces of details, around a month ago. 

Jack found this fact of the utmost humour. He had never experienced his little friend so anxious and happy at the same time before and it was definitely feeding his constantly hungry amusement. Though there was something that he found quiet nice to know about.

"Bon," he muttered, startling the younger girl, as his lips were just am inch or so from her ear. 

Managing to calm down her vehement heart beats, she glared up at him. It wasn't that he suddenly surprised her by just randomly saying her name; it was the fact that he'd been so close, not to her ear, just her face in general. Ebony labeled herself as profoundly fortunate that the chilly winter air had already washed over her skin, flushing her cheeks, otherwise Jack would've definitely noticed the sudden pink tinge. 

"Do you think-that if my village had checked if the pond, my sister and I had been skating on, was safe, then I wouldn't be here right now?" Before Ebony had the chance to contemplate his loud thought, he spoke again. "Or do you think that the man in the moon had just made the ice crack on another pond cause he wanted me to die?"

She found his theories interesting but his physical closeness still greatly bothered her. Ebony had tried suppressing the weird fluttering sensation developing within her lower stomach but Jack was difficult to get over. She had no idea when this small fixation with the winter spirit began but she undoubtedly didn't want this to form into something more than a silly crush. 

That would've been plain weird.

His deep sigh brought the wandering girl back into the current world. "C'mon Ebony," he mumbled, "think please." She flashed him a frown, an expression of annoyance and he sent a lovely smile. "I just want an opinion."

"Well I-"

"What if," he interfered all over again, "the moon already planned my entire life out and chose me to be a guardian or he decided that I deserved to live again but this time, to have a big, great purpose in the universe?"

Instead of giving a straight, proper answer, Ebony said, "You know, you're real chatty today, aren't you? And you died saving your sister remember? And because of that, man in the moon gave you the reward of being a guardian. Isn't that the story you told me?"

"Yeah but-"

Ebony shushed him with the gesture of a hand. The duo had reached the other side of the park where several park benches had been aligned to form an array for people to sit on, as their friends or children glided along the frozen pool. 

On one of the front wooden benches sat her awaiting friend, father by her side. Harper hadn't seemed to notice her arrival yet and decided to have a little fun with her already. She snapped to glance sidewards at her friend, knowing Jack wouldn't miss the chance to have fun with a youngster.
♠ ♠ ♠
This wasn't very well written, but I hope you enjoy Ebony's conflicted thoughts. So, I miss my ginger Ed and I'd do anything to go back...who, here, owns a time traveling machine?