Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

chill

Two young teenagers rounded the corner of the path. They entered the desired street, a seeming aura of loneliness curled around the two, as the walkways were empty and only ghost vehicles swept by. 

There were no signs of movement in any of the houses that resided on the street - it was as if everything and everyone had become dead from the winter season.

Ebony had been feeling that way for two days. Dead. Though it wasn't because of the gloomy, coldness; it was because of the person who created that gloomy chill winter air. She had never thought she'd ever despise winter as intensely as she was now but there was no stopping the harsh feeling swell over her heart. 

The two remained silent as they traversed the rest of the journey. Ebony was grateful that Adrian hadn't forced her to open up to him. Most people knew that she wasn't exactly an easy novel to read regardless of how hard he fought to get her trust him. He respected her privacy and would be content to keep it that way unless informed otherwise. If so, he would've gladly jumped at the chance to comfort a friend.

Ebony immediately stopped in front of her house. The teenagers lingered at the mouth of the driveway, Adrian waiting patiently for her next words. But she was too preoccupied with other young boys to interact with him now. 

Her eyes flickered sideways, eyeing the front porch of her home. There were quick movements, a figure flitting erratically from surface to surface and it was only when he had eventually quit being hyperactive that Ebony was assured she wasn't going crazy. 

There he was. Jack Frost, the mysterious boy who had seemingly a cruel phobia of dilemmas, sitting on the edge of her roof. His legs dangled right off the gutter and his staff was aligned with them as its curved end was hooked in the groove of the roof. His usual devilish grin replaced by the contours of an unmistakable frown.

And the eyes. They weren't the icy ones she last saw, these were the medal-deserving azure orbs, bright and deep with a certain emotion behind them. 

Ebony scratched her attention away from the winter boy. She faced her walking buddy once more feeling stupid as she had just purposely forgotten about his presence. If she said goodbye to Adrian that meant she'd be forced to deal with Jack the minute he vanishes. She knew she'd have to finally fix this unpatriotic predicament sooner or later - she would prefer later if she had the choice.

So she used the method that would definitely buy her time. "So uh Adrian, do you wanna come in for a hot drink or something?" she asked though her tone carried a shade of dishonesty. Her pupils stalked to the corner of her eyes watching the reaction of Jack but he remained unflinching.

He flashed her a small warm smile. "No but uh thanks," he murmured. Ebony felt all hope of ever climbing out of this situation alive, quickly ebb away. "I would but I have to help my parents move some stuff around today, sor-."

"No, no! That's fine." She shook her head side to side, a feigned understanding smile on her lips. "I understand."

 "Maybe another time? When I'm not busy?" 

Ebony's teeth sunk into her lower lip as she hesitantly agreed to this. It wasn't exactly a get-together but rather a question of whether she'd tempt him with the offer again. So as she nodded in slow, slow paces, he backed away and they exchanged goodbyes, even waving to each other. "Okay see ya tomorrow." It wasn't long until Adrian had disappeared from her sight and she was alone again.

When her head turned back to the house however she didn't see Jack lounging on her roof like she guessed. There was no sign of the winter spirit anywhere with the exception of white frost lining the gutter. 

She began trudging up the snow masked driveway. The thick soled boots of hers created a minuscule crunching sound each time she took a step. A breath of the winter wind passed by and Ebony pulled her beanie down to its lowest capability, childishly chuckling to herself as the piece of clothing almost veiled out her eyesight.

She bathed in these small details. Finding no other things as fascinating because there wasn't anything else to be busy with. A sigh slithered out between her lips while she trailed up the short steps at a snail's pace. 

For good measure Ebony tilted her head so she could see the roof for the last time. Just as suspected her eyes didn't catch the dangling feet of his or even the frost crusted wooden staff. 

Of course Ebony couldn't have expected for him to stay. She had been acting immature about the whole escapade, she hadn't tried properly searching for him yesterday and she'd been ill-mannered by asking a visitor to come over while Jack was in front of them. There was no way that he could've possibly wanted to stand in the presence of the rude Ebony.

"What are you doing?" someone exclaimed.

This sudden outburst resulted with Ebony staggering back. Her hand shot out just in time to clutch onto a column to save her from falling. A strike of pain whizzed up her leg. "Ah," she hissed and realized she could've gained a twisted ankle. Her eyes rode up to glare at her sister.

Aspen's brows scrunched up, her lips pulled back into a tight line as she helped her sibling. She cradled her forearm, slowly leading her up the steps being careful so that Ebony wouldn't have to put pressure on her foot. Once they were both in the safety of their warm living room, Aspen allowed the younger one to lay on the couch while she studied her. 

"What?" the injured girl snapped. 

She sighed mournfully before slipping off the bag from her shoulders and taking the empty space beside Ebony. Their eyes connected for a second until restlessness fell between them. "Sorry okay? Um...I was gonna go do some grocery shopping but I could stay if you like. I know how much a pain in the ass twiste-"

Ebony chuckled half-heartedly. "No no it's fine...I just, I just had a bad ending to today. Won't take it out on you," she assured though from the rubbing of her hand gently around her ankle, her sister proved otherwise. "But about the groceries...we don't have anymore food?"

Aspen shook her head still not properly convinced.

"Well I am pretty hungry and a broken ankle plus hunger isn't exactly the best combination for a hormonal young adult."

Image


Nightfall had just began settling when Ebony awoke. A loud, boisterous symphony of clattering were soon followed by an array of uncouth outbursts. These were the noises that disturbed the seventeen year old from her sleep. Even though the sounds resonated from the bottom floor.

"Shit!" exclaimed her sister right after another clang. 

Ebony had to bite her lip to keep from laughing. Though her hurting bottom lip weren't enough to stop another being in the room for expressing their amusement out loud. Her eyes snapped from her door to search for the reason of the small chuckle. To say she was surprised was an understatement.

All thoughts about her clumsy sister were swept away. He stood there. The cool breeze that tousled his white hair came from the open window of her room. He simply remained stationery, eyes closed as if he was basking in the embrace of the chilly air winter.

Though she hated to admit it, Jack looked quiet enchanting from her view. The way he so gently placed his palm on the window ledge, cane in between, and his back curved slightly behind him. His face was tilted up, his pale complexion just catching the final dim rays of the sunshine, before the great star dipped below to allow its friend the moon her time. 

Jack looked so at peace. A calm euphoria, even. 

Which she didn't think would've been possible considering the happenings of the past several days hadn't been exactly pleasurable. 

Not quite sure about what to do, Ebony continued to lay on her bed until further notice; or until she was forced to move. Her eyes dove back to the entranced boy beside her window. She didn't know if he knew she was awake or if he was simply here to visit and be assured that she wasn't taking any desperate measures. 

"You know," he paused maybe letting Ebony have the chance to process what's happening, "I've always wondered if the man in the moon made me die to become a guardian or if when I died, he just decided I would be, then and there."

A part of her wanted to get this over and done with. If Jack came to only check up on her and nothing else, then she should be prepared for some proper awful goodbyes and convince herself that she'd be able to live without him. That's if, she could even survive the upcoming conversation without the intense feeling of awkwardness ruining everything. 

But the other part - the stronger craving of hers - consisted of remaining calm and having the ability to withhold a decent conversation. She never wanted or thought of pleading but if that's what it took to persuade him to stay, she'd do basically anything.

Ebony flung the blanket off her. She sat up straight, sliding her legs to dangle over the edge of the mattress before standing up. She had completely forgotten about her ankle and the applied pressure cause a shot of pain dwindling around the same area. Stupid, she thought.

"Bon, sit down, are you an idiot?" He finally turned around but with a not so warming comment. He sighed, levitating off the floor and floating towards her. As his finger cradled her chin, tilting her head up, he sighed. "I only came here to say something." 

His voice was heavy with despair. The tone itself caused small tears to sting the back of her eyes. She lethargically blinked the waterworks away, wishing the signs of weakness to vanish. Ebony sure as hell didn't want him to the impression that she emotionally and mentally depended on him. Not if he was saying farewell.

"I'm sorry for being such a...what do you call it? Um...sorry for being such a massive douchebag. I know I've been a jerk lately and you probably know why. I shouldn't be, but I am actually ashamed of the reason. So I apologize in advance for being insecure when there's no need to be."

Her eyebrows squeezed together, worry lines etched on her forehead. "What-what are you rambling on about?" 

Jack copied her previous expression, both of them wondering what thoughts were dwelling in the other's mind. "I'm sorry for lying. I knew that you knew why I lied but I still couldn't admit it. Could you imagine; the Jack Frost actually afraid of something?" He chuckled half heartedly. 

"Jack...I honestly don't know the reason you lied."
♠ ♠ ♠
I think there will be ten more chapters or so...eek. Not edited by the way. Hope you enjoy this c: