Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

freezing

She raised her right foot onto the ledge and leaned down to tie the laces. As Ebony fixed up her boots, the only thoughts her mind could muster were about what she was going to do to spent the next hours of this Monday on. A smile decorated her lips - pale due to the cold atmosphere - the more she wondered about it.

A tap on her shoulder waved away the images. She turned around halfway through tying the other shoe only to connect gazes with one of her best friends. "Hey," she chirped then went back to tying the laces as she knew Cara wouldn't mind. 

"Hey Ebony. I was wondering if um..." her voice trailed off because she waited patiently for the girl to complete the task. Once all distractions were swept aside, Ebony stood up straight and smiled politely at her companion. 

"Yeah, what is it?"

Cara took her time to evaluate the current state of her friend. She wasn't exactly sure of the necessary changes she was meant to look out for but she was certain that something was different about Ebony. A certain glowing aura reveled around the girl and though she wasn't seen much, it had to mean that she was happy. 

The young lady slowly exhaled. She didn't know how Ebony would react to this accusation so the kind smile remained for a few seconds. "Um babe," she began hoping that this term would work, "is there something happening? Like, something with you wrong or...is it just me?" The stutters didn't help. She knew it wasn't just her, but everyone else in their friendship circle.

Ebony's eyebrows stitched together into a frown. Confusion was written all over her face. She scratched the skin behind her neck, uncomfortable under the gaze of her friend. "What do you mean?" she mumbled. "Have I been acting weird to you guys or something?"

Hazel eyes filled with concern. She was so sure of herself that nobody would notice her strangeness lately. She was prepared for the slight fluster the arrival of Jack would cause since it happened every year. Though she didn't expect people to be so agitated over it; had they seen her talking to him? Dread pulsed through her veins at the thought.

A chuckle escaped Cara's lips. "Not really but yeah. We don't see you much anymore. I tried texting you on the weekend but I figured you were too busy to check." She licked her chapped lips. The weather paralleled with the mood. "And plus," she said, "you look really happy though. Care to tell me?"

Ebony subconsciously began to fiddle with the decorative weaved strings of her school bag. She twirled the material between her fingers, her mind fizzing as she fought herself. It wad almost a creepy reflex to immediately open her mouth and begin rambling, a full fledged rant about the abundance of feeling of joy Jack had been offering her since the day. 

She was stable enough to hold back ranting though. It was customary for her and Cara to share everything between them. Not one secret was waved out of the picture so this time when she knew she really couldn't explain Jack Frost being real to her, it was difficult to come up with a practical reason without being obvious that it was a lie.

"Uhm Ebony?" her friend sang. "So?" Her tone was on the verge of I-am-running-out-of-patience mode. Cara's expression remained genuinely curious and concerned but they both knew each other well enough that she didn't have time to wait any longer. And that scared Ebony.

Out of the corner of her eye she caught the light swirl of the snow. A misty sort of material flashed around and she knew that it was Jack waiting impatiently for her. Her insides twisted into a knot, wondering what her friends would think about her being in love with a childhood icon.

She almost laughed at the irony. Ebony was always one of the most mature in their circle of friends, but here she was. It  clearly wasn't her fault that she believed in him all this time, she probably was one of the few people in the world whom Jack willingly showed himself to.

Cara was on the verge of simply snapping and just walking away at this second. She knew that her friend had moments when her mind would fly away but she hadn't time for that. "Ebony," she said. 

This reeled her back. The girl smiled sheepishly at her companion, embarrassed that she made her wait this long. She blurted out the first thing that came to mind. "My sister," she exclaimed. Cara flashed her an uncertain look, confused.

"She came on Thursday and stayed over this weekend. I just spent most of my free time with her." She added, "Thought I told you guys?"

Cara waved her eyes along the girl's expression. She seemed certain and confident with the answer. She sighed wondering why she even thought ebony would lie. "I don't remember but um, if that's the case, me and the guys were wondering if you wanna hang at my place. There's pizza."

"Ugh, you know you only have to say pizza and I'll be there," she teased.

"Well," Cara scoffed, feigning the shocked hurt, "if that's the only reason. You don't love us anymore?" 

Ebony chuckled, stepping closer towards her friend and nudging their shoulders together. "You know I love you guys. What time am I supposed to be there?" she asked, slipping both hands into the pockets of her jeans. She felt somewhat content that her life was going at such a nice pace and wouldn't exchange this feeling with anything else.

In a low voice, Cara said, "Four thirty. But you can come earlier cause pizza comes first. And Adrian's bringing pizza." She added a sly wink within that last sentence knowing her friend would understand.

Ebony almost laughed at this. Her friends knew about the friendly date her and Adrian went to. She had tried explaining to them that they simply watched a movie like she would with anybody else. None of them believed that there wasn't anything romantic feelings weaving through the duo. 

She rolled her eyes at the comment. "I already told you, there's nothing going on between us."

"Yeah," she muttered, "except everything."

"I already love so-uhm..." Ebony prevented herself from talking any further. She knew these sort of topics would lead to a danger-zone and this is why she was keen on avoiding conversations that paralleled with feelings or relationships or boys or anything else gliding along those lines.

It shocked her that she'd use that term, though. She didn't sense that Jack was nearby and she hoped that he was just a good distance away not to have heard what she said. Ebony didn't know how he'd react. Would he react the Jack Frost way - teasing her about it until the end of time? Or the Jack way - being too shocked to do anything at all?

Cara noticed the fear replace the amusement. She smiled meekly. "What? Already in love with Adrian Ivashkov?" she jeered.

 It was always the excuse Ebony used whenever Adrian was mentioned; she found it amusing whilst the others merely shrugged it off. "Obviously nobody here appreciates a sexy fictional character." She was nudged on the shoulder.

Image


It began. The first time she realized it, was when she felt a soft touch on her right shoulder. Then after that, the fall just slowly eased into the weather, snowflakes and freckles of snow falling from the sky. It was a light drizzle of snow though the residents here knew much better. 

Tilting her head backwards, Ebony stared at the crying clouds, with her mouth wide open. She didn't remember the last time she had done something like this. Now that she thought about it, she really hadn't enjoyed reveling in the snow unlike the past times - save for that time her and Jack messed with several kids.

With this epiphany in mind, she motioned for Jack to step closer. When he did, she threw her arms around his neck and whispered, "Do you think we could fly home?"

The boy only eyed her cautiously. He was more than enthusiastic for the spontaneous idea. Why wouldn't he be? Ebony would be in his arms, their bodies likely tangled together plus he'd be able to show her the liberating rush of flying. This was an opportunity he wouldn't miss. 

"But," he murmured, "promise no more teasing?"

His condition made Ebony laugh. A pout smeared along his features and she slapped a palm over her mouth, willing for the laughter to go away. Giggles bubbled through her closed lips. Jack remained frowning as he figured out whatever joy she was gathering from this. Once she eventually ceased the laughter, she said, "I'm sorry Jack. I still find it hilarious."

He pouted yet again. "But why? I don't find it funny."

"You're cute," she commented, affectionately pinching his cheeks. Jack had only blushed once around her and he knew there was a possibility that he would again despite the unlikeliness of him to ever have the ability to blush. "Seriously though...don't you just wanna laugh about the whole situation?" She chuckled. 

No, he didn't. In fact, the whole situation made him want to crawl into Bunny's hole and never come out. That was saying a lot since the two couldn't stand in the same room without a myriad of snide comments flying back and forth. He was ashamed and that was a rarity for Jack Frost.

Prior to the couple walking home, Ebony had bumped into Adrian and they began conversing. The boy seemed fidgety. He explained that his girlfriend didn't approve of his constant 'dates' with her and was convinced that Ebony was a boyfriend stealer. She had laughed if off though she also laughed at Jack.

The winter spirit merely wanted to hide himself from the rest of the world. He had acted so silly about the whole Adrian situation from day one and all that time the boy already had a girl. Jack shook his head to clear away the thoughts. Though they would remain and haunt him forever; there was Ebony there to remind him. He shuddered.

"So," she exclaimed. "Wanna help me with homework before I head over to Cara's?" 

His arms tightened around her body and, just like that, he believed that the embarrassment was worth it if he was able to do this with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love coffee on a rainy day. THIS STORY IS ALMOST ENDING WITH ONLY FOUR CHAPTERS LEFT. I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. I may or may not have a surprise after, too....