Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

frigidity

Ebony stood beside the tree. The winter season was only beginning to come around and the tree was still void of any clues that it was going to lose its beautiful auburn tainted leaves. There had been a light snowfall earlier but it lasted for only two hours meaning the plants were safe from shedding until further notice. 

She was waiting for his arrival. At least, she expected him to be coming today, as she had attempted to assess the days and weather patterns, hopefully certain that she waited on the right day. She was fairly sure that day was today; it just had to be. Didn't it?

Slightly flustered at her own idiocy, she sighed. Ebony found comfort between one of the protruding large roots. She settled her behind on the wet dirt but didn't mind doing so. After all she had no time to worry over such things. There were many other problems that needed addressing. Like being able to be patient and not drive herself insane by waiting around. 

Ebony began picking at her jeans. She flicked off some lint and dirt, boredom swaying over her. Releasing a heavy sigh, she slumped forward, her crouched back against the tree trunk.
"Anne Boleyn she kept a tin, which all her hopes and dreams were in. She plans to run away with him-"

A chuckle disrupted her singing. This tugged the girl out of her reverie and caused her to look around, looking for the cause of the sound. "Mmh...people marching to the drums, everybody's having fun to the sound of lo-" There was that chuckle again so she looked for a second time. When she found no signs of another soul, she began humming the tune.

"I've never heard you sing Bonbon," the familiar voice mused, "even though I've tried to." Ebony wasn't sure whether to laugh at the situation or to scold him for worrying her like that. "And now I have and all it took was to sit on a tree branch." He chuckled. 

The girl tilted her head backwards and snow scattered around her vision. "Jack," she snapped. He soon ceased the shower of snowflakes morphing from the end of his wooden cane. She blinked into reality before pushing herself off the leaf covered ground, patting her backside as so the dirt would disappear. 

Ebony's eyes never once left the branch he was perched upon. She gazed at him in both, surprisingly, awe and irritation. Awe because even though that incompetent smirk was pasted on his lips again, she loved it all the same. It was his trademark and what gave him the alias of a trickster. 

Though at the same time, she couldn't believed how smug he'd be. The boy knew well enough that Ebony hadn't ever been good with being startled. The quirk began in her early childhood and followed on until she grew - much like her friendship with the ever frustrating Jack Frost. Whom she knew she couldn't live without despite the major setbacks.

"Well? Aren't you gonna come up here with me?" he asked, however, it sounded more like an accusation or demand of some sort. 

She remained silent. Ebony folded her arms in front of her chest, head angled up to face him and an expression, of which a spoilt child would carry, on her face. She looked much like a young one on the final inch before finally stepping over the line, when the fit and tantrum would then commence. 

The boy sighed, knowing what he did and what he had to do to fix it. They both knew that the two of them were being complete idiots but it was their 'thing'; it was one of the few antics between their friendship. 

"I shouldn't have done that."

Ebony pursed her lips together before releasing and emitting a small
pop. She stepped closer towards the tree and embraced the trunk, preparing herself to climb up the gigantic plant. She was never one of those adventurous tree climbing kids who would swing from branch to branch but she enjoyed it. However, not exploring a tree in so long made her feel like a retired old woman. 

Her fingers clung desperately against the rough bark. The destined branch was so close when Jack stuck out an arm, gesturing for her to hold onto his hand. Ebony glared at the outstretched gestured, stubborn, and refused any guidance from him.

"Oh, come on," he exclaimed. "I'm sorry."

At the blurted apology, her lips curved into a smug smile. "Thanks," she said with a light chuckle. 

She accepted the help and when their fingers made contact, a strange form of lightning ignited inside of her stomach. Confused, Ebony's eyes darted to her companion's face though his expression didn't give her a clue whether he had something to do with the startling effect. 

Still a little hazy from the encounter, she managed to pull herself onto the branch. Jack flashed her one of his signature grins and she couldn't help but return the smile. Though the weirdness continued to ripple through her nerves. Maybe she was a little loopy from the excitement.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm late in this update...three more chaps to go o.O