Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

snow

Ebony was cosy against the padding of the seat. Her back was comfortable and warm and she was glad she chose a booth to sit at instead of the cold, plastic chairs in the middle of the small town cafe. 

The dainty coffee shop was situated on the corner of one of the main streets. As soon as you opened the glass door, you'd be greeted with the bittersweet scent of caffeine and freshly baked cakes. Soft music hummed from the speakers placed in each corner of the place. 

The light grey booths were lined against one wall and the rest of the seats were plastic or metal chairs - without any real design to follow. There was always one table too many as the shop could get extremely busy and customers would have to push their way in. Quirky pictures were scattered along the brightly painted walls. That was one word to describe it: quirky. 

Overall it was a nice cafe. On one hand the residents couldn't complain too much as this was the only decent cafe in the town centre and the other one was McDonalds' McCafe. Even though, it was still a nice welcoming shop regardless of those facts.

"Ebony," someone called out. Her head perked up at the sound of her name and searched for the criminal. Matt was waving at her from behind the counter. She smiled as she got up to walk towards the front. "Hey," he said, stretching an arm out to give her the drink. 

"Hi. Thanks for the coffee," she replied and cradled the cup between her hands, instantly warming up her palms, as if to  confirm her gratitude. 

He chuckled. "You did order and pay for it." 

"Details," she muttered with an eye-roll. They shared a small chuckle here and there as she loitered around the front counter, speaking to him whenever no customers were in line. 

Matt was one of the casual baristas and as she was a regular customer even before he started working, they became friends. The boy was easy on the eyes; he had a wavy fringe swept to the side with only one visible eye and although she wasn't one for piercings he looked quiet cute when he wore his lip ring. 

He had made a pass at her once but they both knew it was a joke. For one, he was almost finished with his first year of college meaning that he wad a tad bit old for her and secondly, he had a lovely girlfriend whom he'd been dating since sophomore year.

"Excuse me?" a boy interrupted their conversation about the college life. 

Ebony smiled apologetically before stepping so Matt could serve another customer. Without any intentions to, she overheard their chat. "Do you know a girl called Ebony? She uhm, apparently is a regular here? Do you-"

Matt sent the flustered boy a grin, angling his head towards the direction of said girl. She waved shyly at the mystery person. "Yeah? That's me."

"Oh well Cara sent me down here to...she said something about a girl wanting to date and begged me to.." he trailed off, obviously as confused as she was. 

After a few seconds of the boy explaining the situation - or trying to - she eventually deciphered what all this meant. She had warned all her friends that she didn't need a date for an upcoming dance. It was winter and masquerade themed so she figured she could simply dance with a stranger.

She sighed. "Oh I'm sorry. I told them not to do this but since you're here..." she began, "why don't we just do it then? What are you gonna be?"

"Jack Frost," he blurted out. "Since I figured it was winter themed why not a winter icon?"

Almost simultaneously, a sudden chill glared over her. She sipped on her delicious hot cup of cappuccino wishing for the heat in her throat to spread throughout her body. Even under the layers of thick clothing, the cold temperature still seemed the same as if she was in the nude. 

It was also probably a side effect from hanging out with Jack too often. She suddenly felt the need to hug the random date her friend set her up with for choosing her best friend but she knew it would give him a reason to cancel their plans. 

She could just imagine the winter boy's face once he finds out about this. His grin would reach both ears and he would probably begin teasing her about it exclaiming that whatever she did, she could never get rid of Jack. In some ways she hoped this was true. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Crap chapter I know, I was writing this chapter and the next one at the same time and I accidentally deleted this one and had to restart...with a different idea. Agh.

Here are two treats I've had in mind for a while: this and this.
I hope these are good enough to satisfy you amazing readers c: