Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

icicles

"You're it!" he exclaimed before leaping into the air, and being caught by a monstrous gust of wind. He willingly remained stuck in the wind allowing himself to be thrown in various directions, suspending the belief of gravity for several moments. 

The young girl gasped for her playmate easily tricked her then disappeared not even a millisecond after announcing their new game. But what was she to expect from none other than the mischievous Jack Frost himself? 

Releasing her irritation, she trudged deeper into the part of the park where trees and other plants were denser. If in a normal circumstance, she would've not dared venture in the woods, but her companion Jack would never let her get in harm's way. So she wasn't afraid of walking beneath the looming shadows of the naked tree branches.

"This still isn't fair," she complained though she was too far into the game to pull back. The eight year old Ebony now reconsidered even recommending the game of hide and seek. She huffed in an upset manner before continuing her journey deeper into the pack of trees.

Ebony cautiously weaved in and out between the trunks, wary of low lying branches and also staring at her path, watching out for any bits of slick ice as so she wouldn't step in the wrong place. Even though she knew it was dangerous walking in these parts she always had fun with Jack plus she never lost at this game, no matter how cheeky her opponent was. 

Of course the hider of this game was excessively sneaky and, although he never lowered to the method of cheating, Jack always found loopholes. It caused much difficulty for other people and he watched in amusement as they struggled. 

After three years of knowing the thought to be mythical Norse creature- even in her young childhood years - Ebony had learnt many things about him. The famous winter trickster. Her determined button eyes scanned the sky above her, eyeing all hovering branches, watching for any movements. He was lithe and could easily move through these trees and usually was perched atop a branch or flying with the wind as if he was part of the air.

Nothing. There was absolutely nothing that gave away Jack's hiding spot or a trail. Not one hint; there was neither any noises being emitted (none that she was able to hear anyway); no sign of movement or life. It was as if Ebony had been abandoned, in the woods. There was not even any clues of animal life. 

For the very first time the girl's heart pounded harder. Fearing that if she tried going back to the start, she'd only walk around in circles or worse, closer to the heart of the woods, she remained where she was. "It's okay," she reassured herself. But it didn't sound very convincing. 

"Hey!" Ebony failed to keep her shock within and stepped back only to slide on a bit of ice. She landed on the hard snow. The impact shouldn't have been so harsh but either way, her heart was beating so loud she could hear the heavy thumps, and small tears were pricking at the corner of her eyes. 

He was there. Jack didn't realize the serious outcome of his little surprise and only noticed her frightened expression. He continued to laugh, azure eyes sparkling more than ever, and he still hung upside from a thick branch. It wasn't until audible sobs reached his ears that he stopped altogether. He effortlessly unhooked his legs and landed on the ground with one swift movement, unscathed. 

"Hey," he murmured reaching for the crying little girl. She roughly shrugged off his hand, covering her face with small delicate hands. Jack's eyebrows scrunched together as he attempted to pry off her fingers. "I'm sorry Ebony, I didn't mean to scare you so bad. Come on." 

His voice so soft like falling snowflakes, Ebony accepted his comfort. She wrapped her tiny arms around his neck, his temperature not bothering her. Jack sat on the ground, crossing his legs, before gently pulling the girl into his lap and rocking her back and forth. "Sh, it's okay. I'm sorry."

This step continued until her sobs and tears subsided. She sniffed. "Ebony!" Jack's ears twitched as the sound of Aspen's voice rang through the trees. He panicked, however, Ebony simply tightened her grip, gathering together the material of his jacket within her small fists.

"No, Jack, please stay."

The teenage boy's heart melted at the sweet request. He was never one to say no to children. He was after all a guardian. "It's okay love. I'll be at your window when you get home. But now you have to go to Aspen okay? I promise." Ebony knew he would never dare break a promise so she held onto that and slowly returned to her panicking sister.
♠ ♠ ♠
No idea but I love writing this. Way too much to be healthy. Tee hee. I love younger Ebony... :3

Can we just admire how beautiful he was when he was human? I mean...god...you inconsiderate jerk. This gif obviously pertains to this chap - he just saved his little sister and now he just comforted Ebony...yes.
Image