Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

chilly

"Jack, you douchebag!" The maroon quilted cushion flew across the room but the victim easily dodged the thrown weapon of choice. Ebony glared icily at the teenage boy across from her, on the other side of the room - who was doubled over with laughter, so hysterically that snorts were escaping from him.

"Did you really think that using a pillow would've worked?" he mused, chuckling. This only aggravated the girl more and she reached for yet another object to throw and her hands found a long beanie like bag. Jack's azure eyes widened as he noticed the evil smirk. "No, no. Ebony don't you dare," he said holding out a hand.

She ignored his protests. Her will was strong enough to endure looking at the boy's adorable expression without caving in. Sure, she faltered when he whispered a small please but she continued to stalk slowly over to him.

"Wha..." he mumbled, gazing at her with an unknown tint to his eyes. The blue orbs travelled the length of her body.

She immediately felt self-conscious then followed his stare. Ebony gasped, feeling her face rapidly heat up and the warmth creep up to the tip of her ears. Before Jack was able to devour her undressed state for any longer, she dived back into bed, throwing the blanket over her whole body.

Jack chuckled whole-heartedly. The current circumstance was quiet awkward and should've made him feel uncomfortable but he just laughed it off. They've been friends for many years so something like this shouldn't feel so strange.

"Ebony? Come on out, I promise nothing's awkward. Please?" Taking his chances, he lifted a corner of the blanket and peeked inside. The first thing he saw was her feet (she always complained about her feet claiming that they were huge) then his eyes found her long creamy legs. He did a double take and his stomach was filled suddenly with small woodland creatures.

Jack's playful expression faltered for a second before he shook himself back to reality. We are friends, these things are okay. He swallowed courage and smiled at Ebony. "Please come out? I promise I'll look away as you get changed. Please Bonbon?"

At the sound of her childhood nickname, she smiled and nodded towards Jack. He caught on (he needed to make himself busy while Ebony changed into a more appropriate attire) and made his way towards the window. A small breeze blew towards him and he accepted the wind.

"Lucky you don't need to change clothes, Jack Frost." He chuckled lightly trying not to glance at her. He figured this would've made him feel less unpleasant rather than forming actual words, which, in that moment he found it difficult to do.

In the corner of his eyes, he watched a group of older kids walk by. He grinned before reaching for his wooden staff and tapped the curved end on the nearest tree branch. Flecks of snow fluttered down and, with help from the wind, he gathered them together then blew them towards the direction of the kids. He watched as they enjoyed the falling of perfectly formed snowflakes and smiled feeling proud of himself.

Even though Ebony was positive that Jack wouldn't even dare to think of looking, her irises still glanced back every five seconds or so to be certain. She pondered about the situation if he did peek; her mind lingered on his expression that hopefully radiated wonder. Before her curiosity ventured as far as her not even feeling bothered if he watched her, Ebony mentally slapped herself.

Her hands dashed through her open closet, flicking through all her coats and jumpers. Her body was busy, but her mind was stuck on the thought of Jack staring at her and with that, the lower part of her stomach clenched. Ebony fished out a blue jumper and jeans, hurriedly pulling them on, eager to get out of this obscene state.

"Okay!" she exclaimed, feigning enthusiasm.

Jack merely shrugged this off, guessing that she was positively excited for their day ahead. After all, she was spending the next hours of daylight with him and he was happier about this than he let himself believe. "Well then Miss Ebony Marie, let's go!"

The pair made their way downstairs, with no knowledge that another being was wide-awake. Therefore, when the duo stepped into Ebony's kitchen, looking for something to nibble on before heading out, they were mildly surprised to see Carina - her mother - placing a plate of pancakes on the kitchen bench.

Ebony entered the room boisterously caused by one of her companion's uncouth jokes and immediately silenced herself at the sight of her mother. Carina raised a brow at her daughter's laughter. "What's got you laughing and were you talking to someone?"

"Err..." the teenager parted her lips glancing sideways to look at Jack for a little help. He smiled knowingly at her. "Jack Frost?" she inquired.

Her mum simply laughed off her answer. She knew her daughter had always believed in the mythological Norse demigod and her reply only reminded Carina that it was still the same Ebony she gave birth to. "Of course hon. Now I wanna see you finish your food before I get to work."

Ebony walked around the open plan kitchen-dining room to reach one of the high grey stools. She sat on the very first one, before sneaking gesturing for Jack to follow in her steps. "You have work?"

"Yes," she replied beginning to wash the dirty dishes. "I won't let a little snow stop me from getting to my job. And why are you up so early? It's only," she paused looking at her watch placed by the sink, "five thirty."

The young girl almost dropped the fork with a piece of pancake on it. She twisted her head to the side to give Jack Frost an icy glare. Pun not intended. The boy smirked at her frustration and scooped a bit of whipped cream onto his finger before licking it up. "You bastard," she whispered, pretending not to be bothered by that little tongue action.

"Um," she stuttered, "I wanted to be up and early for today. I wanna get a good load of snow before school starts again."

Carina stopped with the washing and turned to her. "Ebony? It's not a snow day today."

This time, it was Jack's turn to be surprised and he strangely felt disappointment. Of course, he would've been discouraged that he was unable to spend the day with his best friend. He chewed the last bit of jam and cream covered pancake, feeling that he had lost his appetite for the worst.

Hazel eyes looked sideways sadly though he avoided her gaze, reluctant on allowing Ebony to see his expression. She placed a hand on his arm and mumbled a minuscule apology even though none of this was her fault. Jack was just massively down because he had planned the whole day; to the very last bits of detail.

"So," Her mother's voice snapped the two youngsters out of the unfortunate trance. "You want me to drive you there early or are you waiting for the bus?"

Ebony sighed, scantly agitated. "No it's fine, I'll just walk. I'll get out in about half an hour." She could've driven to school with her own car - which she was very proud of owning - though Ebony was slightly afraid of driving since the road must've been freckled with slicks of ice and she had just slid out of being a novice. In addition, she really did want to consume her extra time with Jack before she was thrown unwillingly amidst the annoying blur of school.

"Alright then hon. I'll be going now." Carina walked to the other side of the kitchen bench to give her a hug. Without another thought, Ebony curled into the embrace of her mother. As they pulled away, she said, "Give your mummy a kiss now." Carina puckered her lips teasing her daughter.

"Mum!" Ebony scolded her own mother gently pushing her away and leaning back to avoid lips. "I'm not seven anymore." Her mum ignored the protests and kissed her on the forehead and cheeks. Defeated, Ebony pecked the apple f her mum's cheek.

"That's my daughter." She felt herself blush for the second time this morning and for the second time, also embarrassing herself in front of Jack Frost. "Bye now, my baby girl." Ebony stared after her mum, jaws slack, and quickly recollected herself after she heard the slam of the front door.

Jack snorted before chuckling. "Bonbon, your face is as red as the strawberry jam on your pancakes." Ashamed, she picked up a dirty napkin and lazily threw it at him for self-defence.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit of awkwardness between the two c:

A massive thank you to my six subs, people who have recommended and commented! MUCH appreciated :)) <3

I have pre-written chapters...ahaha, I love this so much.