Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

frostbite

"What were you thinking?" Aspen exclaimed dragging her younger sibling from the array of trees that marked the starting point of the woods. She clutched her by the forearm, tugging forcefully until they were both a good distance away from the small ice veiled forest.

Ebony glared at her sister before trying desperately to unhook the fingers digging into her arm. Whimpering, she eventually managed to protest enough so Aspen would finally budge. "That hurt...it hurt a lot," she complained. The damage wasn't as bad as she expected for there were no marks to prove anything though it didn't make her any less upset.

The older girl sighed before dropping onto her knees. She gently took hold of her sister's shoulders and looked right into her auburn eyes. "Listen to me, Bonbon." She caved, always a sucker for her nickname. "I was worried okay? I thought you were hurt and lost. And I felt stupid for eve-were you crying?"

Widening her eyes, Ebony wildly shook her head, disagreeing with her. But the tell-tale tear stains were there. "I-I was just a little scared. I was only playing a game w-um, just running around trees." She was hesitant to mention Jack Frost since Aspen would've simply rolled her eyes at the sound of his name.

She was content with her explanation. Thought that she had made sense of the situation, Aspen stood from her knees and enshrouded her baby sister's small hands within her own before leading both of them through the center of the park towards the gate. 

Ebony twisted her head to look back, only to find that there was nothing hidden behind the lifeless woods. There were only trees stripped off their warm schemed autumn leaves, left there to drown in layers of merciless snow. However, as an eight year old, Ebony thought nothing of it and only realized that Jack Frost made winter look absolutely enchanting.

As the two sisters trudged past the park and houses, she wondered how she seemed so frightened when Jack popped out on her in a quick manner. He had done plenty times before so why now? 

She was gaining knowledge.

She was learning that many other things resided in this world. That there wasn't always fun, snowballs and frost decorations on her window. She had learnt about the dangers of being alone and found out that not many people believed in Jack Frost. 

She was growing up.

That was something both her and Jack, himself, was truly terrified of happening. The children that used to have faith in the winter spirit had forgotten all about the boy who made the chilly winter season enjoyable. He was quiet certain that Ebony was going to go through that phase soon. 

But she wasn't going to allow it. 

"Aspen?" The older girl hummed, looking down at the curious younger one. "I know you used to believe in him. Why did you ever stop? I know you're a teenager now but why? Growing up doesn't mean letting go, does it? Does it?" For once, she hesitated with an answer.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was just so random and I don't really like it but here ya go.