Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

wintertide

It was only the beginning of the winter season. But even so, it had taken mother nature some time to finally set things in motion. Last night, or early morning however you'd prefer, was the moment the first flakes of snow showered down from the clouds this winter. This was a new record for the the slowest of snowfalls since snow normally came at an earlier time.

Ebony pondered over this whilst waiting for her bus to arrive. She was perched on one of the swings, moving slowly back and forth, her legs doing the same thing though at different times. She wondered why the snowfall came late this year; was it because of climate changes? Mere weather issues? Or was it because a certain winter spirit decided to take a break?

Thinking about, Ebony hadn't seen the spoken of person recently. There wasn't any hints that were dropped to give her a clue if Jack Frost was here - not even delicate frost patterns on her window pane. She sighed, settling on the excuse that he probably was extra busy this time around.

Big auburn eyes soaked in her surroundings still disappointed with the lack of snow. The leafless trees were almost completely naked, not an icicle or big bits of snow in sight. The ground still had a larger percentage of grass and dirt instead of a beautiful white blanket. It certainly did take time, but nearly everyone had grown impatience of winter's agonizingly slow pace.

As if to counteract Ebony's irritation, yelps of happiness echoed throughout the school playground. She was curious, head instantly perking up the joyous noises. She scanned the throngs of other students searching for the cause of the sound.

With quick defeat, she walked through the crowd glad that the number of people had managed to thin out over the course of thirty minutes. Many students used the bus as school transportation meaning less children around.

The excited squeals and shouts seemed to resonate from one of the small hills that made up the school's playground, or rather, field. "Ebony," a girl squeaked squeezing through a pair of older boys and tapping her friend's shoulder. "What's going on?"

She smiled down at her friend thinking the same question. The two young girls hurried to the base of the hill where a reasonably large group of kids were forming. It looked as if they were all forming a line before marching up the baby hill.

Ebony gently grasped the elbow of her friend, Bianca, leading her around the children. Her eyes immediately lit up at what she found. The sight was truly remarkable with brightened eyes and goofy grins and charming laughter.

This part of the playground was, for some reason unknown to the rest of the student body, indeed covered in a layer of snow and the hill managed to gain a wide trail of slick ice in which people were currently having fun with, taking turns to slide down it.

"Jack Frost finally visited," she mumbled to herself.

In the middle of her trance, her name was exclaimed for the second time. Ebony snapped out of her day dream involving a meeting with the young frost boy and turned around to find her older sister, eyebrows furrowed as an outstretched arm reached out for her. She bid a quick goodbye to Bianca before allowing herself to be carried by the sea of bus traveling students.

The ten year old girl trailed right behind her sister, still on the look out for Jack. A flake of snow landed on the tip of her nose and she sneezed. Though the young one didn't seem to mind as that only meant on thing. "Hey Bonbon," he whispered.

Casting a quick glance towards her sister, Ebony dragged herself out of the crowd and settled behind a tree so she was able to talk to Jack in private. The boy grinned down at her, holding his staff behind his head with both hands. "Missed me?"

"Jack! I thought you'd never come, you are really late," she accused him.

He laughed before saying, "Sorry sweetheart, I was busy." He unclasped his hold from his staff to brush back the short forming fringe that belonged to Ebony. "I'll make it up to you. I'll make you a slushy!" She simply giggled at his make up gift but which ten year old would deny a flavorsome cold concoction?

A shout interrupted their reunion. An agitated looking eighteen year old stalked towards the tree the two were hidden behind. "Say, Aspen's gotten more beautiful since the last time I saw her," he noted staring dreamily over at the girl.

Ebony's expression turned sour, a mild scowl now on her pretty young face. "She's older than you and she doesn't believe in you," she tried to reason with him.

"Awe it's okay little one." He placed a hand to her hair once more, but this time to ruffle up the dark brown strands. "You'll always be my number one girl," he reassured Ebony before running away not ready to face the wrath of Aspen.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really expected this to be shorter and wanted for it to be finished before school which starts in about ten day...sigh. Well hope you guys like :)