Sequel: Cede
Status: finished :')

Like A Dream

hail

Grumbling a couple of bad words, the worst words a ten year old could possibly had known, she tore the page out of the exercise book and crumpled it into a ball before it landed with all her other discarded wastes. She eyed the mess on the floor, a pool of paper bits forming just outside her bedroom bin. It was awful.

Ebony mumbled to herself, realizing how much work she had done - or rather hadn't done since there were more questions unanswered than completed. Maths had never been one of her strong points yet she somehow managed to cruise through the subject as if it was her favourite.

"Honey, your guests are waiting," she heard her mother call for the third time. Ebony had promised to go down but soon after, she was lost in the endless sea of equations and forgot all about it. "Ebony." This time her voice resonated from the other side of the door.

She sighed. "Yep." The hazel orbs skimmed through the homework sheets she was assigned and told herself she would complete it later. There was no use attempting anymore. She just wasn't in the mood. "I'm coming."

Ebony placed all the loose sheets inside the book and threw her pencil in before slamming the book cover shut. She stepped off her mattress only to feel the scrunched up balls of paper and she kicked them to the side, hiding them from her everything-must-be-spotless Nazi mother.

She walked, taking her time, to the door where she knew her mum was still waiting. Her hand crept up to the wall clicking the light switch then leaped up to reach the hooks by her door to grab her favourite knitted sweater. After what seemed like minutes, she finally exited her bedroom to come face to face with an impatient looking Carina.

Her mother didn't say anything knowing how stubborn her daughter could get and forced herself to feel happy that she actually came out. Ebony noticed this and giggled lightly to herself. "Who's there anyway mum?"

"Surprise. She's already on the veranda waiting for you."

She frowned but knew better than to push her luck and only slipped on the extra piece of warm clothing silently. The mother and daughter arrived at the back of the house without further interruptions and as Ebony stepped into her winter boots, her mother walked away.

She slid open the glass doorframe. If her eyes had the ability to, the balls would've popped out of their sockets and be rolling around the slippery deck. "Anne!?" she exclaimed running up to her.

Said girl squealed setting her cup of hot cocoa on the small table beside her chair before it was spilled due to pure excitement. Ebony practically engulfed the older girl's waist in her smaller arms and squeezed as hard as she could. Anne laughed wholeheartedly at her younger cousin gripping onto her for dear life. "I missed you too Bonbon," she said happily, rubbing her back.

Ebony finally let go and grinned up her. "What are you doing here Anne? I've missed you so much! I have so many things to tell you, did you know I'm in advanced math?" She giggled before continuing to ramble. It wasn't her entire fault, as she felt completely comfortable around her older cousin.

"Oh wow, slow down hon. I can't keep up with you - I'm old," she joked. "Why don't we sit down first? Your mum made you a chocolate drink too."

With a sigh, Ebony agreed mumbling something about how she wasn't old and sat on the adjacent seat. When they were both properly settled, she looked up expectantly at Anne, waiting patiently for the offer to start.

"So how have you been love?"

In that second, Aspen decided to disrupt the two girl's conversation and walked in - or rather walked out onto the veranda. "Still obsessed with Jack Frost." She snorted but looked fondly at her young sister. She wondered why at the age of ten, she still deeply believed in the mythical winter spirit.

Anne's eyes widened then she smiled knowingly at Ebony. "Oh?"

The ten year old felt her face flush at the statement. Thank goodness, the chill temperature had caused her face to turn pink already otherwise; she would've been absolutely embarrassed. Not because of the other girls but because of Jack: if he heard that, the older boy would never let hear the end of it.

"That's okay, Jack is amazing isn't he?" she offered then dreamily gazed around. "Giving us this winter wonderland. I feel sorry for the others who can't experience Jack Frost's magic." Anne winked at her, a gesture that meant she didn't judge the girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Re-posting this since I got the chapters wrong....