Status: on temporary hiatus

I'm What Time and Consequence Have Made Me

Forfeit

I woke up to the sound of a phone going off somewhere in the room, my head was pounding ridiculously and I couldn’t even process where I was. Groaning, I pulled a pillow over my head, trying to block out the sound but it was completely useless. The endless ringing was relentless. Once the phone had stopped ringing I sighed in relief but seconds later the caller just tried again. “Austin.” I whined, kicking him lightly with my foot. “Answer the phone.”
He grunted and rolled over so he wasn’t facing me. “Hazel it’s your phone.”
“Ugh.” I complained, forcing myself out of his bed and rolling onto the cold, searching frantically yet groggily for my mobile. “Dammit, where is it?”
“Jeans.” Austin mumbled and I crawled over to where my jeans lay, digging my hands in their pockets to find the ringing phone. My eyes gazed over the caller ID: unknown. Whoever is calling me better have a damn good reason; my head was pounding and I just wanted to crawl back into bed to sleep for eternity.
“Hello?” I snapped a little harsher than I had meant to but whoever it was deserved it in my eyes.
“Well Jesus, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.” Said the calming voice of John O’Callaghan. For some reason, it made me feel more awake but I couldn’t cave in just because I was happy to hear his voice. I was still mad.
“No but you just woke me up!” I complained and he chuckled.
“Oh, I’m sorry for waking you up at three in the afternoon.”
“Wait what? It can’t be that time already and how the hell did you get my number?” I questioned him.
“Hazel, shut up. I’m sleeping.” Whined Austin from his bed. Still annoyed, I picked myself up off the ground and made my way to the living room to find myself surrounded my empty cans and half eaten pizza.
“Austin gave me it before I left last night.” He told me.
“He did?” I questioned, was this his way of trying to make me make friends? Because I didn’t like it nor did I even want friends.
“No, I went through his phone when he carried you to bed.” He chuckled, “But anyway, want to hang out later? I thought maybe you could show me around? I waited a while to call you so I wouldn’t wake you up but I seemed to have done that anyway.”
“It’s like minus thirty degrees outside and you want me to show you around?” I accidently snapped.
“Okay, okay, bad idea. How about I come round yours then?”
“I’m still at Austin’s.” I told him.
“Well, if you give me your address, we can meet there in say, an hour?” I contemplated saying no, making up some excuse not to. I mean I had a hang over, I didn’t want to hang out. That’s what I told myself anyway but John seemed to have a charm about him and somehow he managed to get the address out of me and I found myself hurrying home so I could get ready for him coming over. Was I seriously considering making an effort? No I wasn’t considering it, I was making an effort. I rushed over every inch of my house making sure everything was neat and tidy before rushing around trying to find a decent outfit to wear. I ended up settling for jeans and a jumper. It was impossible to look nice in Alaska because you always had to wrap up warm to you didn’t freeze to death.
Soon enough, there was a knock at the door and I hurried to open it. What was happening to me? John stood on my door step, shivering impatiently and I couldn’t blame him, today was even colder than yesterday.
“You don’t look like the pizza delivery guy.” I mocked feeling strangely confident around him. He chuckled.
“Can I come in?” he smiled and I nodded, walking into the living room. I heard him close the door behind him and kick his shoes off.
“I brought you a gift.” He said once meeting me in the living room.
I raised my eyebrows curiously and he pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniels from behind his back. “We seem to share a love for whiskey so I decided to bring you, well, us some.”
“Seriously? I’m still recovering from last night’s hangover.” I tell him and he laughed.
“Well there’s no better way to cure a hangover than by drinking more alcohol.” He told me knowingly and I giggled, holding out my hands for the bottle but he just shook his head. “Where’s the kitchen?” I pointed to a door on my right and he walked towards it, leaving me following eagerly after him. He began raiding the cupboards until he pulled out two glasses and poured us each a drink and handed me mine.
“I didn’t think you were going to agree to today.” He told me as he took his first sip, wincing a little at the strength of it.
“I contemplated saying no but for some reason I just couldn’t.” I admitted.
He laughed, “I can’t tell if you hate me or like me.”
“I don’t know if I hate you or like you yet although, I’m leaning towards hate after you woke me up this morning but I’ll let you know when I have a complete verdict.”
“Afternoon.” He corrected and I glared at him, taking a sip from my glass.
“So talk to me; tell me all the interesting facts about your life.” He said and I took a deep breath.
“I’m boring, you don’t want to know that shit.” I lied because I just didn’t want to tell him.
“Oh but I do, I want to get to know you and I want to listen to that pretty little voice of yours forever.” I blushed and took another sip, trying to conceal my embarrassment. “Don’t hide behind the glass honey; your face is ridiculously cute.”
“Do you use these lines on all the girls?” I asked and he chuckled.
“Nope.” He awkwardly popped the ‘p’ when he spoke but I wasn’t buying it. “Anyway, spill the beans, tell me all your dirty secrets.” He whispered jokingly but it was so hot the way he did it.
“I work in the porn industry.” I lied just to see his reaction. He was only centimeters away from me and his jaw dropped.
“You’re joking right?” I shook my head. “You’re a terrible liar.” He chuckled he said, “Although, maybe you should consider it as a career option.” He smirked, earning himself a slap on the arm.
“HEY!” he shouted as my hand connected with his arm. “I was only joking but are you not actually going to tell me anything about you?” he pouted.
“Ask me a question and I might truthfully answer it.” I told him and he rubbed his hands together before picking up the bottle of Jack and walking back into the living room and taking a seat. I sat beside him and waited for his first question. Why in the hell did I suggest this?
“Okay, let’s make this interesting. I’ll ask you something then you ask me something but the questions have to be hard and personal and if you don’t answer it then you’ll have a forfeit. Deal?” he asked.
I took a sip from my glass, finishing it off before reluctantly saying, ‘deal’ and pouring myself another.
“Okay, first question: biggest regret?”
“Agreeing to this game.” I joked. “I don’t know, I probably regret the first time I got drunk, when I was fourteen because since then I don’t think I’ve stopped.”
His eyes widened, “Fourteen? Even I wasn’t that young.”
I shrugged, “In England, we have no boundaries. Anyway, your go, what is your favourite memory?”
“Hmm, my favourite memory was probably the day we got signed.” He shrugged. “It’s not that interesting but it’s just a nice memory, everyone was so happy, we all felt accomplished – we all got shit faced the night.” He added with a small chuckle. “Not that great but again, your turn, why did you really move here?”
I groaned, I knew this question would come around but I wasn’t ready to forfeit just yet so I gave in, “What I said last night was partly true, I did always think Alaska was beautiful and I had always wanted to live here but I just really didn’t get along with my family and I mean I really didn’t get along with them. I hated them and they resented me. I mean there was times when they pretended I wasn’t even their daughter so as soon as I turned eighteen; I packed my bags and left without even leaving a note.”
He looked down uneasily, “I’m sorry, that must’ve really sucked.”
I shrugged, “It’s in the past, and I don’t ever have to see them again so it’s okay. Now, if you could have sex with any person in the world, who would it be?”
A laugh escaped his lips and he shook his head, “How can you go from being so serious to fooling around? But Natalie Portman, hands down.”
The night continued this way for a good few hours before it reached the point where we had both consumed an unhealthy amount of liquor and our heads were spinning.
“Y’know, for a girl, you can take a hell of a lot of alcohol.” He slurred.
“That’s a bit sexist.” I said, leaning closer to him and resting my head on his shoulder while he tightly snaked and arm around me.
“It’s a fact sweetheart, girls can’t handle as much alcohol as guys, especially one of your height, I mean Jesus, how tall are you?”
“Like 5’2, I don’t know, anyway, it’s your turn to ask a question.” I told him, poking his skinny torso ever so lightly.
“Hmm.” He said, pretending to think by stroking his perfectly molded chin, “If I went to kiss you would you let me?” he asked. I could feel his eyes on me but I refused to look. I didn’t even want to make friends but this is even worse. No, kissing leads to feelings and feelings lead to getting hurt but I really, really wanted to.
“I-I don’t know.” I stammered.
“Hazel.” He whispered running a long finger across my jaw line. “It’s a yes or no question, anything else doesn’t count.”
“But, I don’t know.” I sighed. I did know though, I knew I wanted his lips on mine but I couldn’t.
“Yes, no or forfeit.” He said still running his finger along my face, moving his way up to stoke my bottom lip with his thumb.
“Forfeit.” I mumbled, instantly regretting it.
“Kiss me.” He whispered in my ear.
My turned my head to look at him, “No, I can’t.” I mumbled biting my lip but he didn’t reply, instead, he looked away. I sighed. “John.” I whispered, looking up at him.
“I know, I know.” His drunken self sighed, “I’m sorry but I don’t know what it is, I hardly know you but I just can’t think straight when I’m around you because no matter how close I get to you, I just want to be closer and well, I also want to fuck you because I’m a guy and you’re hot and oh my god, I cant believe I’m saying any of this aloud.” He was drunk; it was obvious he didn’t mean any of those things except maybe the last part.
I giggled and kissed his forehead softly wanting this conversation to end, “John, you’re drunk so just go to sleep.” He nodded and wrapped his arms around me before dozing off almost instantly but I couldn’t sleep, I lay awake in his arms thinking about what I had gotten myself into and how I was beginning to recklessly abandon everything I stood for.
♠ ♠ ♠
third chapter of today because i really do have no life. well technically it's the first chapter of today but w/e, i did it tonight cause i /think/ i actually may have a social life for new years eve and might not be able to update then so yeah. let me know if you enjoyed it cause i'm having fun writing this fanfic c: