Welcome to the Family

Welcome to the Family

Hey kid (hey kid!)
Do I have your attention?


My feet slammed against the sidewalk as I ran down the street trying to get away from my pursuers. This is what I get for being a so-called "faggot", I get chased down the dark alleys of this town and I have to fear for my life almost every single damn day. Yep, this was a daily thing for me and every single day it was always a different group of attackers. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

I know the way you've been living,
Life so reckless, tragedy endless,
Welcome to the family


Quickly, I glanced behind me only to see the taunting sneers of today's bullies. The names they were shouting at me were profane and I tried my best to block out the words that they were calling at me that would probably be carved into my arms later when I got home. I picked up the pace as I tried to make my way home and that's when I felt someone's grip on the back of my shirt and my eyes widened in fear.

Not long ago you'd find the answers were so crystal clear
Within a day you find yourself living in constant fear


Someone jerked me into the alleyway and I expected to meet the devious smile of my attacker, but instead I met the eyes of a brown eyed boy who held a finger up to my lips to keep me from speaking a word.
"If you don't want them to catch you, then you better keep quiet," he whispered into my ear and I nodded my head as he pulled me further down the alley as if he was making sure that I was completely hidden from the people I feared the most.

Can you look at yourself now?
Can you look at yourself?
You can't win this fight


The boys ran past the bricked hallway and I let out a sigh of relief knowing that maybe today I could get home without being jumped and having the snot beaten out of me. Nobody could literally realize how much of my life I lived in fear just because the entire town had issues with someone liking someone of the same gender. Everything in town was set up different for me. I wasn't allowed to look at certain people and those people knew that they couldn't to be in a certain distance of me. It was just the rules around here.

And in a way it seems there's no one to call
When our thoughts are so numb and our feelings unsure


"Why did you help me out?" I asked the guy that was sitting next to me and he just stared at me for a moment as if he was pondering on how to answer my question.
"I'm like you," he said flipping his long raven hair away from his face.
"What do you mean?" I asked, confusion was clouding my thoughts.
"They treat you like a vermin just because your opinions are different from the rest of the world. I know what it's like to be the 'faggot', Andrew," he said poking me and I just stared at him.
How did he even know and how come he didn't have to go through this every single day?

We all have emptiness inside
We all have answers to find
But you can't win this fight


"Who are you and how do you know who I am?" I asked him and he just stared at me with a smirk on his face.
"You're the one guy who hasn't joined our family yet. You're the one who still deals with this bullshit every single day. Who doesn't know you?" he said and I felt very, very confused like nothing seemed to make since of what he was saying.
"What do you mean by 'family'?" I asked him.
"The misfits. The scum. The ones who make this perfect little society look filthy and disgusting. We're the ones that were put down for who we are and we're going to stand up soon and show them who the hell is boss," the brown eyed boy said with a slightly insane look in his eye and I didn't know if I should trust him or not.

Hey (hey kid)
I have to question


"What do you say? Want to join and stand up for what you truly believe in, boy?" he asked and it took me a second to think of my thoughts.
If I said yes then I wouldn't have to worry about people coming after me every single day and then I would be able to walk the streets in peace and without fear. If I said no then I could be missing out on a big opportunity, but at the same time I could be saving my ass from something worse than I'm already in.
I glanced at the boy and nodded my head. A smile spread across his lips and I didn't know where to be glad or fear for my life.

What's with the violent aggression?
Details blurry, lost him too early
Welcome to the family


He took my hand and he dragged me out of the alley and he started pulling me towards the abandoned part of town. Nobody came over here because all it was, was just a bunch of run down factories and maybe the occasional homeless person, but besides that, it was the darker side of town. The part that was put down like I was on a usual basis. My parents had always told me to stay away from over here, but then again, that was long before I was put down by the society that I was raised under.

Hey, why won't you listen?
Can't help the people you're missing


The boy dragged me into one of the factories and a smile had spread across his lips as he yelled out, "We got him! We got the boy who shall save our asses!" What he had yelled out made me think for a second. How the hell was I going to save someone? I couldn't even keep myself from getting beat up by some guys that enjoy tormenting me. I could see a few people coming out of the shadows and a woman walked up to me with a smile on her face and she shook my hand and said, "You're our blue eyed prophet."

It's been done, a casualty re-run
Welcome to the family


She walked over to the boy who had dragged me here and pulled him into a tight hug and said, "I knew you could do it, Ashley. I knew you would find the one that could free all of us from the society's sinister grip. Have you told him what he needs to do yet?" she asked and Ashley just glanced over at me before sighing.
"I will, Sandra. Right now he's got no idea what he just got into," Ashley said and I looked around at all the eyes watching me and someone placed their hand on my shoulder and Ashley whispered in my ear, "Welcome to the family, Andy."

I try and help you with the things that can't be justified
I need to warn you that there is no way to rationalize


A week had passed since I had joined the family and Ashley had been teaching me about the prophecy and how some blue eyed boy would come save them all from the society that had put them under this persecution in the first place. I still didn't understand how I was going to save the people when I could hold up for my own, but I guess I would just have to find out later because right now wasn't the time to ask questions. Ashley was the one training me in what I needed to know for battle.

So have you figured it out now?
So have you figured it out?
You can't win this fight


"Andrew, pay attention to what I'm telling you," he snapped at me and I quickly glanced up to meet his dark brown eyes that I had admired since the day I had met him. Yes, I had to admit the fact that I got lost in my daydreams about this boy. He was gorgeous and not to mention someone I wouldn't mind fighting for.
"Yes, Ashley," I muttered and he threw long wooden pole at me and I caught it with ease. It was better than the first day he did that. He hit me right in the face and knocked me out.

And in a way it seems there's no one to call
When our thoughts are so numb and our feelings unsure


"How many days until we go through with our fighting?" I asked him as we fought each other with the wooden poles trying to see if either of us could "stab" the other. I do have to say that I was becoming quite skilled at this, but I had learned a lot in the week I had been here. I always had a way for picking up things quickly I guess this was one of my many hidden talents. I know Ashley admired me for my skill with the entire thing.

We all have emptiness inside
We all have answers to find
But you can't win this fight


I waiting for an answer as I continued only to hear the sound of mind and Ashley's makeshift swords smacking against each other and I knocked his out of his hand and placed the tip of mine to his chest.
"Am I going to receive an answer from you, Ashes?" I asked raising an eyebrow at him and a smile spread across his face.
"Not too long now, Andy," he said smiling, "With the skills that you've picked up on all we really have to do now is assemble the others together and we'll have ourselves an army that can take down anything. You really are something amazing, Andrew," he said leaning down and kissing me softly.

Gunning for you and all mankind
I've lost my mind


He pushed himself away quickly and I could tell that he deeply regretted what he had just done. He acted like he was going to end up getting severely hurt for kissing me, but I didn't have any sort of issue with it. I actually enjoyed it.
"I shouldn't have done that..." he muttered picking up his sword and placing it back on it's shelf.
"Why not?" I asked.
"I'll pull your mind away from your other duties. I really don't need to be distracting our leader, it could cause a great issue to our family," he said not looking directly at me.

Psychotic rabid dementia
I won't be fine


"Then you must not know how much I want to fight this battle for you," I said and he turned around and looked at me confused.
"What are you talking about?" he asked.
"You're the main reason why I stepped up to fight, why I'm so willing to train, and why I'm so eager to throw myself right into the battle to take back the society that once belonged to us," I said and a small smile spread on his lips as he walked over to me.
"I'm the reason why you want to do all this?" he whispered and I nodded my head.
"You're the reason why I fight for the family."

I see you're a king who's been dethroned
Cast out in a world you've never known


Ashley's hand was locked in mine as we talked about the plans that we had for battle. Everyone had been assembled in the factory and they were gathered around on the rafters looking down at the two of us with eager eyes. Some of them were already sporting their weapons and I could literally taste how much these people wanted their freedom back. This was something that everyone was willing to fight for and this was something that I was ready to lead.

Stand down, place your weapons by your side
It's our war, in the end we'll surely lose but that's alright


I did realize quite a few things about my army though. We were outnumbered. Some of us had no clue on how to fight. Most of us had some sort of fear of the war or how it would turn out. I could also tell that some of the patrons had looks of worry on their faces. They didn't know whether or not if they wanted to fight or not and if they did, then they feared that they would end up getting killed in battle. I know I would rather go out for standing up for what I believe in than dying some sort of incredibly normal death.

So have you figured it out now?
So have you figured it out?


"This battle is going to be a rough one. I can see it," I whispered over to Ashley as the people around us were cheering their war cries and he nodded his head and let out a soft sigh.
"The society is going to put up one hell of a fight, but we can't back down. We can't give in to them. If we do then there will be no chance at the family getting their freedoms back," he whispered and I nodded my head before looking back at the crowd of eager, battle ready faces. I only had one thing left to say to these people before they threw themselves out to be slaughtered.
"We fight for our freedom!" I shouted and they cheered.

And in a way it seems there's no one to call
When our thoughts are so numb and our feelings unsure


The family took to the street not long after that and we began to head for the heart of the town. It was where all the main leaders of the society were and we all knew that they were not going to be expected a crowd like this that was against them. These were all the people that hated them just because the family wasn't picture perfect in the society's eyes. We each had our own little quirks whether it be that we liked the same gender, we had our own thoughts, or just the fact that we are able to voice our own opinion without being terrified of what everyone else thinks. The family is what society should be like. That's why we've come to claim what was rightfully ours.

We all have emptiness inside
We all have answers to find
But you can't win this fight


Ashley held a tight grip on our hand as we got closer and people began to come out onto the streets to see why there were misfits walking around holding dangerous weapons and supporting what they believed in.
"I would say back away now, but we've got so far. This is our fight, this is the day I've been waiting for since I was forced to hide away in the factory with the rest of the people who understood what I was going through," Ashley whispered in my ear and I smiled at him.
"We'll get through this, Ash. We'll prevail and we'll fight off every single last one of those society brats that have put us down over the years," I promised him and I kissed his cheek softly as we broke through the gates and stepped onto the stone steps of town hall.

Deep inside where nothings fine
I've lost my mind


All hell had broken loose as the society troops busted out of the large white building sporting armor and weapons of their own. The fighting erupted and Ashley placed his back against mine as we both pulled out our swords and started slashing whoever came near us and tried to harm us. I was quick and graceful with my weapon so whoever came near me didn't feel a thing as their soul made it on to the next life. At least I had the common decency to do that for them.

You're not invited, so step aside
I've lost my,


I could see my troops thinning before my very eyes and I knew that if I didn't do something quick we weren't going to get out of this battle with what we had come to achieve. I grabbed Ashley's hand and at an instant I ran for the door of the town hall and up the steps towards the office that held the one person that I was looking for. The one who made our lives a living hell. The one who I could break to the point that the misfits were in control of this damned town.

Deep inside where nothings fine
I've lost my mind


The door flew open with ease and there was a woman sitting there with a smirk on her face. "Ah, I see you've come to start your uprising, Andrew," she said smiling at me and crossing her arms. I heard Ashley growl behind me as I walked towards her and she stood up and I jerked her by the sleeve of her suit jacket and said, "Surrender now and I might just spare your life."
A menacing smile spread across her lips and she said, "I don't think so..." She let out a sort of cackle and that's when I heard gunshots and I turned around to see Ashley fall to his knees with a gunman behind him.
"Andy..." he whispered and that's when I felt fury boil through my blood.

You're not invited, so step aside
I've lost my...


It only took moments for me to paint the entire room red with a few quick turns of my sword. The wretched woman was gone and I fell to my knees and pulled Ashley close to me. The light was quickly fading from his eyes and I kissed his lips softly and he whispered, "We won. The misfits can rule in peace now."
I nodded my head as I tear fell down my cheek and landed onto the ground. Ashley went limp in my arms and I felt my heart shatter.
The battle may have been won, but I lost the one thing that meant to most to me...
♠ ♠ ♠
This used to be part of my collection, but since I didn't know that you weren't supposed to have a bunch on oneshots clustered together I had to set up individual stories for them, but since it was wrote last night I shall leave it's original author's note.
Three and a half hours I've spent working on this. I'm very, very proud of this, but the ending is very weak and that's the one issue I've got with this. I know it doesn't exactly go with with the song, but I do have to say this is the idea I got with listening to the song. I thought of a town with two different types of people, the family and the society. One of them being the misfits and the other being the ones who are the perfect portrait of society today.
Well I need sleep so I'm just going to leave this here. Tell me what you think.
Comment/Enjoy.
Title Credit: Welcome to the Family by Avenged Sevenfold

XXTragic-MagicXX