Status: Watch the mystery unfold!

Mystery of the Night

Pleas of the guilty

“Yes, it is true,” said Kitty thickly, her eyes red through crying. “I’m sorry, I’m really sorry and I know you hate me and I don’t deserve forgiveness. At this moment I would turn myself in, but in this crazy society, the lawmakers do not realise that women can rape. A man would get twenty years at least…” she indicated the corner of the room where a knife lay, the blade glinting in the greenish light. With a thrill of horror, Owen recognised it as the weapon his assailant – Kitty(!) had threatened him with if he did not comply. Kitty now had a wild look in her eyes as she gestured wildly, words seeming to fail her. But Owen could not move. The twinging pains from the battering he had taken lanced through him and an icy sense of dread gripped him.

“I’m not what I seem – not always,” said Kitty, finding her voice again. “Look! I wish I had never seen it, but it is a part of me now.” She pointed at the only other piece of furniture in the room – a long, low wooden table. On it there lay what appeared to be a piece of green fabric. Kitty picked it up and held it aloft. It appeared to be a vividly green mask, although what material it was made of, Owen could not tell, although it appeared smooth and shiny. “This is my other face,” said Kitty. “I cannot deny my guilt!”

“You’re mad,” croaked Owen, numb with shock.

Kitty laughed, almost wildly. “You’re the one who has a right to decide. What should I do? Tell me!”

“You hurt me…” muttered Owen. “And yet I remember now… your job should be to make people better.”

“I raped, beat you and even gave you a shallow wound with the knife when you fought!” said Kitty. “The mask hides my face, but it also reveals my other side – I am a doctor in training and I genuinely want to make people well. But my dark side is consumed only by selfish lusts. You remember now. I wanted you to be mine, but you lost your heart to another. You must think hard and not forget.”

“Trevor!” said Owen. “I loved Trevor!” The image of a perfect man, golden hair, sky blue eyes, a true angel illuminated the darkness left by his lost memories. He could remember all now, but the hurt was all fresh and raw.

“I cannot deny that I was bitter,” said Kitty. “But unleashing my other side means I know no restraint. It was intoxicating… what a wretched and horrible person I am!” She flung the mask down and banged the table hard. She began to wail like a wild thing, kicking the wall and then punching herself…

“Stop” said Owen. He tried to stand, but found he could not. “I need to get out of here…” he muttered.

She turned and glared at him. “You must tell me what you want me to do?” she demanded. “The police won’t do any good… the sexist prigs who wrote the law say that women cannot rape.”

“I don’t… I can’t report it,” said Owen. “I’ve got to get out of here,” he felt sick with pain and shame and got to his feet, turning away from her.

“Don’t you understand?” said Kitty storming over to him. “I can’t stand the guilt any more. You are right not to forgive me, but you must hear me out.” She touched him on the arm and he had to stop himself from slapping away her hand. “What must I do?” She urged.
♠ ♠ ♠
What could Kitty possibly do to redeem herself? Should Owen forgive her? And what do you think the actual properties of Kitty's mask are?