Under the Ocean Waves

Chapter Two

The sun had barely risen before Vic found himself walking towards the sea. He could taste the fresh tang of ocean air on the breeze as he got closer and closer, breathing in the relaxing scent as he walked. Why he'd decided to leave so early he did not know, but it didn't really matter to him. The small fact of the matter was that he was going for a different reason this time and no matter how many times he tried to tell himself that he wasn't the truth was that he was hoping he was going to see Kellin again. Although, why anyone would be out this early was beyond. The beach was still a great place to pass the time though. Vic could only imagine how breathlessly wonderful it would be with no one there, no foot prints in the sand or rubbish from beach goers, nothing to distract him from his thoughts as he climbed about on the rocks near the water.

He had been right; the beach was literally empty. The rising rays of sunlight hit Vic's back as he smiled out at the water. Even though Kellin wouldn't be here - and Vic didn't know why he would expect him to be - he wouldn't let it stop it from ruining his morning. "When did I get so happy?" he whispered to himself suddenly. Wasn't it just yesterday he'd gone here to mope and be alone? And now he was running here with a smile on his face hoping to see someone else. Funny how things could work out like that. He started to climb up one of the larger rock formations, one so large that plants had grown in crevices and on the top. It was maybe twenty or thirty feet from the water that crashed against it. For a moment he just stood there, feeling like he was flying or something. There was a really nice breeze that morning, carrying the scent of the ocean to the entire area. Vic spread his arms and closed his eyes, taking it all in. It was kind of like an aroma therapy to him.

--

Under the waves though those same blue eyes were looking back at him. They glowed so eerily in the cold ocean, wanting to go back up on land with him but not wanting to risk anything either. "Kellin," said a voice behind him, carrying strangely in the water. He turned, his hair floating around his pale face to look upon someone that resembled himself, only with dark brown eyes and red hair.

"Can I help you with something, Matty?" asked Kellin, his voice high pitched in comparison.

"Why are you looking at the surface to much all of a sudden? And you went on land yesterday, didn't you?" he asked, almost as if he were accusing Kellin of something. The Siren boy knew that his friend probably had only the best intentions, though.

"Something caught my interest, that's all," he answered, turning back to look at the beach. He could just barely make out Vic's tiny figure, shrinking a bit as he sat down on the rock with his knees against his chest. "Matty, what do you think about humans?"

His friend swam closer to him, so that their shoulders were nearly touching. He squinted, looking along the shore for what it is that his friend could find so fascinating, but finding nothing but sand and far away buildings. "Well, they're humans. They belong up there and we belong down here. Why are you asking?" he responded finally.

Kellin sighed as he considered his words. "Just been thinking, that's all. Sometimes I think its a curse that we're stuck down here but then I remember that its so much worse up there."

Matty nodded beside him. "It does get lonely, I know," he said quietly. "Make the best of it. So why were you up there? What's so interesting, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Someone I met. He just seems important. Is that strange, do you think?" Kellin said honestly. That was the think about his friendship with Matty - he could trust him. And Matty put his faith in Kellin as well.

"Not.. really. Well, kind of. I kinda figured you met someone up there though, you know? It's easy to see."

"Is it?" Kellin looked at his friend seriously now. Matty just nodded at him and shrugged. "I think I like him. He's just... attention-grabbing."

"Dangerous, Kellin," Matty reminded him, although, deep down he knew he'd support Kellin's decisions regardless of what they were.

"I know," Kellin rebuttled quickly.

Matty placed a tactful hand on Kellin's arm, tightening his grip around the item in his other hand. He was waiting for the right moment to show it to the boy. "Kellin, its not like anyone is stopping you from talking to him. But I know how you can be with... stuff like this, you know? I just don't want you to get hurt."

Kellin cracked a smile at the other Siren. "You just don't want to hear me bitching about it," he joked. A grin popped up on Matty's face as well, even if it wasn't true. Kellin made a light jab at him, chuckling a little at the banter. "I promise I'll be careful. I want to talk to him again."

"Is he up there now?" Matty asked, looking at the beach once more. Kellin nodded and lifted an arm to point at the top of the right rock that he instantly spotted Vic on top of. He brought a bag with him this time, and now he appeared to be what humans called 'writing', or at least, that's what it looked like to Kellin - he couldn't be sure. Down here people just remembered things, there was no need for recording them. Maybe it was another perk of being a sea creature. "Why don't you go talk to him?" Matty asked after a moment of no words being passed between them.

Kellin shook his head, it wasn't possible. "Yesterday was the half-moon, Matty. No legs."

Matty bit his lip, unsure of how to word things. "What if I told you that you could have legs whenever you wanted?" he asked, searching Kellin's face for his response.

"It's not possible," Kellin told him, but Matty shook his head at him.

"Here." He held up his hand and in it was a necklace on a glimmering silver chain. The pendant was a circle, half of it filled in and half of it empty - a half-moon. "Where it and it works just like the rule does every half-moon."

Kellin stared at the necklace, gingerly picking it up from Matty's hand. "Where did you get this? And why are you giving it to me?" he asked with wide eyes, as if they weren't already big enough.

"Cause you look like you might want it. And its just one of those crazy things that Alaina makes," he answered with a small smile. Alaina was another of the Sirens, well learned in 'magic' and legends and folklore about Sirens in general. Many people looked upon her with respect and friendliness, because she was one of the nicest souls around.

"Thank her for me," said Kellin, slipping the necklace over his head. "How does it work? I just go up there on the sand and my tail is suddenly gone?" he inquired. Matty nodded, looking towards the shore with a sparkle of fear in his eyes for his friend, although he'd dismiss the anxiety as concern. "Wish my luck then. Here's hoping I don't fuck anything up," Kellin winked.

"For a Siren, you sure are strange," Matty smirked. Kellin cast him one last look before he swam off, closer to the shore. And Matty himself went in the opposite direction, going deeper and deeper until he could no longer be seen.

--

The little blurbs of lyrics that Vic was busy writing down distracted him, although all around him he could only hear the water lapping against the rocks. Nothing out of the ordinary, until he heard someone shouting and curiosity hoisted him from his position. The sun had risen, but it was still early morning and there was no one on the beach yet to disturb the peace and quiet, so Vic had no idea where the noise had come from. The little shout had, in fact been Kellin, obtaining legs before he'd gotten on the beach for the most part and getting caught in a wave that slammed him against the rock formation harder than he'd anticipated, tearing a gash in to his unfamiliar thigh. "Oww..." he moaned, rubbing the sore spot.

"Kellin? Is that you?" said Vic just as he appeared around the side of one of the rocks, one hand holding on to a ledge for balance. "What are you doing here?" he asked with raised eyebrows.

"Uh... getting abused by waves?" said Kellin, trying to get to his feet.

"What'd you do? Oh man, that looks like it hurts; gimme your hand," said Vic, reaching out. The land in front of the rock formation was almost hazardous. There were sharp, slippery rocks, and the water smashed against them with the push and pull of the currents, making it dangerous to walk across, especially if you weren't used to having legs; so Kellin gratefully accepted Vic's hand as he pulled him to safety next to him. A part of him didn't want to let go. But Vic was the one to drop his hand as he led the way to the top of the rock, Kellin stumbling behind him. "Is your leg okay?" said Vic once he was at the top once more where he'd left his bag and notebook. He chuckled a little at the amount of trouble his friend seemed to be having getting over the ledge and reached down to pull him up. He was surprisingly light for someone who seemed to spend so much time in the water.

"I'll be fine," Kellin said through gritted teeth, even though the cut stung. It would heal the moment he got back in the water though. "What are you doing here? Its so early," he asked, turning his attention to Vic.

"I could ask you the same thing," the Mexican replied. Kellin shrugged and sat with his legs over the edge of the rock, facing the ocean and Vic almost immediately followed suit, almost ecstatic to have his friend next to him. "Oh, hey your necklace is pretty cool," said Vic, gingerly picking up the pendant with his fingers. Kellin looked down, watching Vic's hand work so close to his chest. It made butterflies stir up in his tummy in a way he wasn't sure he liked, even though it made him want to run around and jump.

"My friend gave it to me a little while ago," Kellin said softly. "It is cool, isn't it?" He smiled, knowing the purpose behind the necklace.

"What does that symbol stand for?" asked Vic. Kellin shrugged; that was an answer he wasn't willing to give. Vic just nodded, letting them both fall silent while they watched the waves hit the shore, the sun rising on their backs behind them. It was so peaceful with no one there and almost no sea gulls squawking, and the lack of conversation between them was surprisingly not awkward at all.

"So why are you here so early?" Kellin asked finally, breaking the quietness between them.

Vic bit his lip because he didn't know how to reply. Truthfully, he didn't really have a reason. "Just... felt like it. You know? And I guess I was thinking maybe I'd find you out here again, even though it was unlikely. And look, I found you."

Deep down Kellin knew why Vic felt that way; one part of the Siren's curse is that people are drawn and attracted to them for seemingly no reason at all. "Well, guess I was lucky you were here seeing as you pulled me out of that crevice. Thanks for that, by the way."

"Anytime. You know, I thought you were a really good swimmer. Well I guess it was kind of an assumption, really," said Vic. Kellin nodded; he was definitely a good swimmer just... not with legs. It's not like he was able to come right out and say that though. "Let's go walking on the sand," Vic suggested as he suddenly getting to his feet. "That is, if you're alright, that cut on your leg looked like it hurt."

Kellin nodded his head and allowed Vic to pull him up to his feet. "I'm fine." They quickly made their way down to the beach, going at a much slower pace than they had yesterday when they were chasing the flock of seagulls. Kellin figured he'd never get used to the feeling of dry sand under his feet - or the feeling of having feet at all, really. "No one is here," he commented.

Vic was walking with his arms crossed, allowing his mind to drift away from reality until Kellin's words made his head snap back to him. "No, its early," he said. "I wonder how lonely it is out in the ocean. How often do fish swim in certain areas, you know? I think about that sometimes."

The paler boy wanted so badly to tell him that yes, it was terribly lonely. There was hardly anything down there at all and even the Sirens were often silent between each other save for the singing or wailing or whatever noises they made when the loneliness was actually too horrible for them to bare. He wanted to inform him of all the swimming patterns of all the random schools of fish and how there was a patch of clown fish near the place he called home most often. He wanted to tell him about Matty, his only real friend, and how they never had much to talk about and that that was what had driven him to seek something more above of the surface of the water and all of these thoughts were racing through his mind all at once but he could do nothing but walk there and nod his head in agreement because for some reason, he felt that he could not screw this friendship up. "Why do you think about that?" he answered finally, watching Vic as he thought deeply.

"Well, I don't ever stop thinking and I spend so much time here distracting myself from the things that go on elsewhere that I tend to think stuff like that. Don't you ever look at the ocean and wonder what's out there?" The Hispanic boy stopped in his tracks to turn towards the waves and stare like he had said, watching as one of the waves rolled in.

"All the time, actually," Kellin whispered, closing his eyes. What he said was true, even if it was in a different way than what Vic meant. To him, the land was his ocean, and he wanted to know what it had to offer more than anything...
♠ ♠ ♠
If it seems a little rushed its because it was tbh. been busy!