Sequel: Upside Down
Status: Complete =)

Baby Steps

A Beating

The show the next night went by smoothly. We held a signing afterwards and hung out with the fans for a little while before packing up and heading out for the next venue. Nothing really was going on that was very exciting. We tried to get a hold of Taylor, but she said that she was staying back for a few days to shoot for some clients so it was just the four of us again. We were heading to Phoenix and I was excited for the next few shows we had lined up.
Tony and I had spent pretty much all of our time together since Vegas and it was nice knowing that Vic, Jaime and the crew we all supportive of our relationship. It was funny, but I was beginning to pick up on some signs that made me think that there was more to Vic and Jaime’s relationship than they were letting on. Tony and I had caught them staring at each other a few times the last few days. It was a lot of nervous glances and looks of embarrassment. It was only a matter of time until something happened.
“Hey guys.” Jaime walked out into the front lounge, flopping down on the couch with me.
“Morning.” I answer back, Tony gives a small noise indicating his hello. “Where’s Vic?”
“Bunk.” Jaime answered back before yawning and running a hand through his head. “Where are we?”
“Phoenix.” Tony said over his shoulder. “How many waffles do you want?”
“Tone, look who you’re talking to.” I chuckled.
“Good point. I don’t know why I even asked.” He continued mixing the batter. Jaime turned on the TV and flipped through the channels before deciding on some talk show. I wasn’t even paying attention to the show.
“Hey guys, I’m going to run to the store really quick.” I stood up and stretched. “I’ll be back before set up.” I headed to the front of the bus and stepped out. It wasn’t too hot today and it was nice to be able to walk around. I went to grab my phone from my pocket, realizing that I left it on the table. I figured since I’d only be gone for a few minutes, it wouldn’t matter too much.
The store was only a few blocks away and it only took a few minutes to get there. I wandered around, grabbing a few drinks and some snacks. I thanked the girl behind the counter and began my journey back to the bus.
About a block after the store, I realized that someone was following me. I wasn’t use to things like this, I mean come on, look at me. Who in their right mind would try to start something with me? I tried to ignore it, but after another block, it was apparent that I was being followed. I ducked into an alley way and tried to walk faster, but this person wasn’t alone. There was another person at the other end of the alley.
“Fuck.” I muttered to myself. These guys had a good forty pounds on me and I didn’t like these odds. I stopped walking and waited for them. There was no point in trying to run.
“Whacha got there buddy?” The guy who was following me asked, stepping around in front of me.
“Just some drinks.” I answered, eyeing this guy. His friend had walked up and joined us.
“You look pretty out of place here bro.” He smacked me on the arm and I tried not to punch him. I wasn’t in the mood for their bull and I just wanted to get back to the bus. And I didn’t have my phone, what could possibly be worse?
“Yeah, and I don’t know about you, Matt, but I’m pretty parched.” The friend reached over and grabbed the bag from my hand. I went to grab it back and he shoved me against the wall.
“No you don’t.” Matt moved so that I was pretty much pinned behind him against the wall of the alley. “Terry, I think we need to teach our friend here some manners.” The guy, Terry, laughed and dropped the bag to the ground. Before I had the chance to move, Matt punched me in the stomach, dropping me to the ground. I coufed a little and tried to stand. Before I got to my feet, Terry kneed me across the face. I fell to the ground, my vision blurring a little. The last thing I remember was seeing a foot collide with ribs and I blacked out.

When I woke up, I had no idea where I was. I heard voices around me and a faint beeping noise. The noises were muffled and my head hurt like hell.
“I think he’s waking up.” A female voice said above me. I opened my eyes, trying to focus on the person who spoke. A young woman was standing next to me. “Doctor. He’s awake.” Thank God… it was a nurse.
“Mr. Fuentes, I’m Dr. Collins, how are you feeling?” A tall man came over to my bedside and placed a hand on my shoulder.
“Like I got hit by a truck.” I croaked. “Where am I?”
“Banner Good Samaritan.” He responded, checking something on a clipboard. “You have a slight concussion and you’ve been unconscious for about 36 hours.” My eyes shot open.
“36 hours?!” I tried to sit up but my vision blurred and I was forced to lie back down.
“Mr. Fuentes, I would advise you to remain still.” The nurse handed me a glass of water. I took it and took a small sip.
“Now, we couldn’t find any emergency numbers due to your lack of cell phone. Is there anyone we need to call?” The doctor looked down at me with a small smile.
“A few.” I muttered back.
“Alright, I’ll go grab a phone for you.” He and the nurse left and I just closed my eyes. I was going to be in so much trouble. The doctor returned a moment later and handed me a cordless phone. I thanked him and waited until he left to make the call. I figured I should call Vic, seeing as he always had his phone. I dialed the number and waited for him to pick up.
“Hello?” His voice answered from the other side of the line.
“Vic…”
“Mike? Oh my god, where are you!?” He yelled loudly into the phone. “We’ve been going crazy for the last day and a half. We had to cancel the show last night!”
“I’m in the hospital.”
“What?!” That was definitely Tony’s voice. That meant I was on speaker. “Which one?”
“Banner Good Samaritan.” I knew that I was going to hear about this when they got here.
“We’ll be right there.” Vic hung up and I set the phone on the table next to me. Dr. Collins came back into the room with some pills.
“These will help with the pain.” He handed them to me.
“Thank you.”
“Is someone coming to see you?”
“Yep. And they’ll be here any minute.” He gave me a nod before leaving again.
Within ten minutes, Tony, Vic, and Jaime walked into my room. To be honest, they looked like shit. I assumed that they didn’t sleep and I could tell that Tony had been crying at some point. I met his gaze and gave him a weak smile. He glared at me before walking over and gently hugging me.
“Michael Christopher Fuentes, don’t you ever scare me like that again.” He squeezed before standing up straight.
“What the fuck happened Mikey?” Vic sat in the chair by my bed, Tony on the edge of the bed, and Jaime stood behind Vic.
“I don’t remember much. I was on my way back from the store when this guy started following me.” I stopped, trying to remember more details. “He and some other guy cornered me and that’s all I remember.”
“Well judging by the bruising and what’s listed on your chart, they got you pretty good.” Jaime held up the clipboard that Dr. Collins had left. “Concussion, three bruised ribs, and a laceration on your right leg.”
“Fantastic.” I muttered.
“This means we’re going to have to postpone the next few shows.” Vic grabbed his phone and typed out what I assume was a message to our crew. “I’m just glad you’re okay little bro.” He put his hand on my shoulder and smile. I returned it and he stood.
“Come on Jaime. Let’s give them some time.” They both turned and walked out of the room. I looked over to Tony who was looking at the ground.
“I was so scared.” He whispered. I reached up and pulled him so that he was laying next to me.
“I’m sorry babe.” I wrapped him into my arms and rubbed his head lightly. He sighed and cuddled up close to me and soon his breathing became even and he had fallen asleep. I felt so horrible for causing them to worry so much. I just watched him sleep. Nothing could change what happened, but it was over and I was back where I belonged.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay so I suck at updating this...but I finally found out where I'm taking this. I personally think this chapter is crap compared to some of my others, but I'll leave that up for you guys to decide.

Love you guys.