Sequel: For the First Time

Diary of a Hunter

TWENTY TWO

Today we were going back to school and we were all getting ready this morning. I was excited to go back so that I could see Molly and tell her what had happened. She had been away for the last few days with her dad visiting her grandparents on his side but now she was back. I pulled on my fitted graphic tee and then my jeans. I pulled on the sweater that Dean had given me the day after Christmas after our snowball fight.

I put a tiny bit of eyeliner and pulled my hair out of a ponytail before going downstairs for breakfast. I tried not to make too much noise as I hopped down the steps. I walked into the kitchen to see that Sam was dressed but both Dean and Sawyer were still in their pajamas. Dean and Sawyer were about done but Sam had just sat down to breakfast.

"Morning," Bobby said, greeting me.

"Morning," I said back. Bobby handed me a plate of pancakes and eggs and I took it back to the kitchen table.

"Morning, baby," Dean said, leaning in towards me. I met him in the middle and kissed him lightly.

"Morning," I said back.

"God, that sweater looks better on you than me," he mumbled in my ear. I bit my lip. "You look so… sexy."

"Well thank you, my handsome boyfriend," I said back.

"Alright, I'm about done. I should go get dressed," Dean said, hopping up out of his chair.

"See you," I said back.

"I should go get dressed too," Sawyer said, starting to stand up. I nodded and the focused my attention to Sam.

"Hey, Sammy," I said.

"Hey," he replied.

"Ready for school? Oh, I just got an email from Ms. Nelson. Tutoring starts Wednesday if you want to come along," I offered.

"Yeah sure," Sam replied. "So is everything okay… with you and your dad if you don't mind me asking."

"Yeah, we worked things out. God, this has been one hell of a weekend. Sorry, you've probably had to endure all the screaming that's gone on in the house," I apologized.

"It's alright. Sometimes I wish I could speak my mind like you with my dad. I mean, I do sometimes and other times you know I have to… shut up," Sam mumbled.

I sighed, "Look, Sam, I really don't want to set a bad example for you. Does your dad really get that bad? We talked yesterday and I just… I don't know I think he loves you guys so much that he doesn't want to leave you here."

"Yeah, but he doesn't care about what we want. Maybe I want a normal life. Maybe I'd rather play soccer than hunt demons. Maybe I want to… go to college," Sam vented.

"You're thinking about college?" I asked, curiously. Sam nodded.

"You know, Dean would kill me if he knew that I was telling you this. Your family loves you a lot. Sure, you may not get along that well sometimes due to differences but I think that's why they want to keep you with them. That's why they don't want to just leave you here because they care so much. But, if you want to go to college you should work hard. I think by then you'll know what you want," I advised.

"I'm just afraid of how Dad and Dean will react. I think I already know," Sam said.

I nodded, "I'm sorry that it's such a stick situation. They're your family and they love you but sometimes-."

"Sometimes you've got to do what's best for yourself," Sam completed.

"Jeez, you're a lot more mature than the average twelve year old!" I exclaimed.

"I had to grow up fast," Sam shrugged.

I finished up my breakfast and then put my plates in the sink, "I'm going to go upstairs and get my book bag. If you ever need to talk…"

"Thanks," Sam said.

"No problem," I said back.

I hurried upstairs and back to my room. I got my messenger back and slung it over my shoulder. I was about ready to go before I heard a girl's voice.

"Hey, should I wear the blue scarf or the red one?" Sawyer asked. I turned around and looked at her. I narrowed my eyes, focusing on the scarves.

"I like the blue one," I replied.

"Me too," Sawyer said. She went back into her room and I followed her. She set the red scarf down on the bed and put the blue one around her neck.

"Here, let me help," I offered. I took the scarf and tied it in a cool way that I had learned a couple of years ago from Andrea.

"Cool," Sawyer smiled, looking down at the scarf. Had we just had a sisterly bonding moment? Yes, I think so. I sat down on Sawyer's bed.

"Hey, I'm sorry for being kind of… tense every since you got here. I've kind of been taking it out on you when I've really been mad at my- our dad. I'm sure that you heard our, uh, screaming match. I guess I just wanted to say that it has nothing to do with you and I shouldn't have taken it out on you," I apologized. I really did want to try and have a good relationship with her. After all, she was my half sister.

"It's fine, I understand," Sawyer said.

"Once again, I'm really sorry. It's just… things have been so crazy," I sighed.

"Yeah, I get it, don't worry. If I were in your place, I probably would've reacted the same way," Sawyer replied.

I glanced over to her nightstand. I spotted the picture of her and what looked like her mother, "Is that your mom?"

"Yeah, it was right before we found she was sick… actually," Sawyer admitted, looking down.

"I'm sorry about your mom, Sawyer. If there's anyone who understands it's… well pretty much everyone in this house," I said.

"Wait, what?" Sawyer asked.

"Sam and Dean lost their mom when they were young. Dean was… four and Sam was six months old," I replied.

"Wow, I didn't know," Sawyer said.

"Yeah, well, welcome to the dead mother's club," I said, dryly. My eyes widened as soon as I realized what I had said. "Wow. That was really insensitive. I'm sorry, I was thinking. It's just kind of my uh, weird sense of humor."

Sawyer chuckled, "It's fine. It's actually something I probably would've said."

I gave her a funny look. She really was an enigma. I think I was going to enjoy getting to know her, "You know what, Sawyer? I think I'm really going to like you."

"I think I'm really going to like you too," she said.

The two of us chuckled, "Alright, we should get going. Ready for school?"

"Yeah. This cold weather is still weird though. It never got this cold in Florida," she started.

"Wait, so you've never seen snow before, huh?" I asked.

"Nope," she said, popping the 'p' at the end of the word.

"Wow, that's crazy!" I exclaimed.

"Like I told Sam, I think I'm happy to be here. I like the whole idea of a clean slate, new start. Things back home were… getting kind of messy," she admitted.

I shot her a funny look, "There's a lot more to you than meets the eye, huh?"

She shrugged, "I guess so."

"Alright, come on. Let's get down stairs before Dean throws a fit," I said, jokingly.

"Haha, oh yeah, Dean. I've really only kind of met him on one occasion," she said.

"Right, sorry about that… you probably more of a look at Dean than you wanted to," I said, chuckling a little.

"Yeah, great first impression huh?" she asked sarcastically.

"Superb," I replied, going along with the sarcastic mood.

Sawyer laughed, "You're lucky though. He's a good looking guy, even with his shirt on."

I laughed too, "Yeah, I guess I am."

While Mrs. Collins was writing something on the board in my math class, I began to scribble something down in my notebook. I tore the piece of paper out and folded it up. Mrs. Collins still wasn't looking so I passed the note to Molly who was sitting at the desk right next to me.

She opened it discreetly.

Meredith: Hey, meet me in the library during free period. I have something big to tell you.

Molly handed the note back to me after scribbling a response down. She handed it to me and I opened it, trying not to seem suspicious. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mrs. Collins shoot me a weird look but I just tried to pretend that everything was okay.

Molly: What could be bigger than finding out you have a half sister? What ever happened with your dad, by the way? Is he gone?

Meredith: I'll fill you in during free period.

Molly: Ah, you're going to kill me!

Finally, free period came and I went into the school library. I sat down at a table and found a book to make it look like I was studying. I pulled out my notebook and a pen and sat there doodling and waiting for Molly to come to the library.

"There you are!" I heard someone exclaim. I looked up and there was Molly. She sat down at the table.

"Okay, what is going on with you? Spill!"

"Okay," I said, lowering my voice. "So I think I like the little half sister. We were talking today and she's really cool. She's got that same dry sense of humor as I do. I guess we both get that from dad."

"Yeah?" Molly asked.

"And dad and I made up after like five billion screaming matches. It's been… an exhausting weekend. But how was visiting your grandparents?" I asked.

"Fine. Okay, you said you had something big. Why are you holding out on me, girl?" she asked, desperate. I chuckled.

"So you know how I ran out Christmas night after the whole blow up with my dad?" I asked.

"Yeah," she replied.

"Well… Dean followed me out and we just got in his car and started driving. We ended up getting stuck in the snow storm and had to stop and stay at a motel that night," I started.

"Oh my God," she gasped.

"Yeah um, and…. We… had sex," I said, simply.

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed.

"Shhhhhh!" I shushed.

"Sorry," she said. She was getting all smiley and happy right now. "Well, how was it?"

"It was… oh God, it was amazing," I sighed.

"Wow. So you guys… you finally did it?" she asked.

I nodded, "And his dad knows though. I mean it's okay. He was okay with it but he's uh, gave us both the talk which was extremely awkward but I was glad that he was okay with it, you know? And then we uh, did it again, yesterday."

"Mer!" she exclaimed.

"We were in the basement!" I defended.

"Oh God," she groaned.

"Wow, Meredith…" she trailed off.

"I know, right?" I asked back. "So how was the rest of your break?"

"Good. I saw my mom a couple of times and it was… interesting I guess. I think they're trying to negotiate my living situation but if they ask, I want to stay here with Dad," she said.

"Well good for you that know about it," I said back.

I sighed, "This whole divorce thing sucks. I'm never getting divorced."

I chuckled, "Well what if you don't love your husband?"

"Well I won't marry him in the first place!" she said back.

I laughed, "This has been one hell of a break huh?"

"No shit," she replied.