Sequel: For the First Time

Diary of a Hunter

TWENTY FOUR

March was starting to warm up a bit but the cool air was still not done living in Sioux Falls. We were all still wearing our heavier coats but there was always that wonderful occasional day where kids could break out their light jackets and sit in the sun. The weather was looking up and it seemed that things were looking up for me too. Dad had been visiting more often and we had been in contact a lot more frequently.

"Hey, Bobby, you got a second?" I asked, curiously. I saw the man that had practically raised me sitting in the living room, ruffling through some books and loose leaf pages of his hunting equipment.

"Yeah, what is it, kiddo?" Bobby asked back, turning to me. He stopped what he was doing. I guess he could tell that what I needed to talk about was something important.

"You know, Sawyer just started the sixth grade and she's already been on more hunts than I have with Dad? I've gone on tons with you and one with John but… none really with Dad," I started.

"Are you still mad at him? I thought you guys were getting along well. You were on the phone last night," Bobby said.

"No, it's uh, a little bit different, I guess. I've been thinking…" I started.

"Uh oh," Bobby said.

I laughed, "I've been thinking for a while actually. Sam and Dean will continue to hunt after high school right?"

"Well, and this is just a hypothetical. What would you say if I told you that I wanted go along that path of life… you know, not really do the whole normal college thing… you know, become a hunter… full time," I asked, anxiously. "This is only an if statement!"

Bobby sighed, "We've all worked so hard that you can live your life as normal as possible. Why would you want to change now?"

"Well, I've seen what it's like. Why go to school when I could train for something that would be benefiting people? I'd be saving people's lives, Bobby, fighting evil, the whole nine yards. I mean, that's not what it's all about it's just that maybe my life should be spent doing something that'll really contribute to the human race," I started, trying to reason with him. I had about five different appeals up my sleeve.

"But you're so smart, sweetie. Why throw that away?" Bobby asked.

"Because I can use that for something greater. Don't you think going to college would be selfish of me when I could be doing something else?" I asked.

"You seem like you've thought this out thoroughly," Bobby started.

"No, it's still just an 'if' thing," I said back. I didn't want to freak him out too much.

"I don't know, Meredith. You would graduate high school first though, right?" Bobby asked.

"I don't know," I shrugged.

Bobby sighed again. That didn't seem good. "Did Dean put you up to this?" Bobby asked.

"No!" I exclaimed, my eyes widening. "Not at all. This has nothing to do with him!" Which wasn't completely the whole truth. Sure, he was a factor but not a leading cause of why I was thinking about this. "What if I just tried it out for a few months this summer maybe? I could go with John and the boys?"

"You'd have to talk to him about that," Bobby said.

"Okay," I said back. "You know, I should get started on my homework. Thanks, though."

"I'm glad we… talked," Bobby said, unsure of how to respond anymore.

"Me too," I said, before disappearing into my room. I sat down at my desk and I could barely concentrate. I was too preoccupied with this idea of becoming a full time hunter. What would that mean for me? Did I even want this? I think I truly did… but why?

~3rd Person POV~

"Caleb, it's Bobby," Bobby said. He didn't want to be doing this but the conversation that he had had with Meredith earlier had been unsettling.

"If you're calling just to check up on me, I'm stopping by in a couple of days," Caleb replied.

"No, it's not about that. Listen, Caleb. I think you need to talk to your daughter. Meredith, she, she came to me today asking if she could go into hunting. I didn't know what to tell her. I'm a little worried and thought that, as her father, you'd want to know," Bobby started.

"Well where'd she get that idea from?" Caleb asked, tense. Bobby didn't reply. "Winchesters. Damn it. He's asking her to go with him, isn't he?"

"No, this has nothing to do with Dean," Bobby sighed. "Dean hasn't asked her about it at all he's not bothering her about it but I think that… them being here has influenced her thinking. Look, don't be mad at any of them. John took her on a hunt though, a while back."

"He what?" Caleb exclaimed.

"Caleb, you just need to sit down and talk with her," Bobby advised.

"Damn it. I'll be there in a few days," Caleb muttered, before the line went dead.

"Jesus Christ," Bobby sighed, hanging up the phone.

~End 3rd Person POV~

Sawyer was at the café with me doing her homework while I was working. She had a half finished plate of oven baked sweet potato fries as I sat down next to her and took one of her fries. She took a sip of her water before acknowledging me.

"Hey, what do you think of Sam?" Sawyer asked.

"What do you mean? I think he's a great kid, why?" I asked back, suspiciously.

"I don't know, just wondering," Sawyer replied, avoiding my gaze. A blush spread across her cheeks.

"Do you… like him or something?" I asked, curiously.

She shrugged, "I don't know. He's cute… and he's really sweet."

"He is. He's a good kid and a little too old for you," I teased.

"He's only a year older!" she defended, playfully.

"So you do like him?" I asked. Her face turned even redder.

"I don't really know. It'd be stupid though. I think he has a crush on this girl at our school though. He's always talking to her and eating lunch with her and stuff…" Sawyer trailed off, looking down again.

"Hey, woah, kiddo. Look at me. We are Summers women, okay? We do not hide and shy away from the things that scare us. We are strong," I said. Sawyer chuckled a little. I got the warm fuzzies again because we were having another one of those great sisterly bonding moments. "If you like him, you should go after him."

"I don't know. I've only been here for about three months," she said.

"Dean and I got together a couple of weeks into school," I said back.

"Yeah, but from what I hear, you've practically been in love with each other since you guys were like seven," Sawyer said.

I chuckled, "Yeah, don't listen to them. People keep saying that."

"Thanks for the advice, though. You know, when I first I was kind of excited to have an older sister to look up to but then I saw the way you reacted and didn't think that that was ever going to happen," Sawyer admitted.

I smiled, "Yeah… sorry about that."

"I'm glad that it worked out though," Sawyer smiled too.

"Me too," I said. Ethan motioned for me to come over to him. "Hey, I should get back to work though. We'll talk later?"

"Sure," Sawyer answered. I gave her a small hug before going over to Ethan.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey table six could use some service. Oh, and I have a surprise for you," Ethan said.

"Oh yeah?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow at him.

"Look," Ethan said, pulling to small pieces of paper out of his pocket. He showed me the two pieces of paper and my eyes widened as soon as I saw what he had in his hands.

"Oh my God, how did you get those?" I exclaimed.

"I know right? They're coming in June," Ethan said.

"No way! You got Jimmy Eat World tickets?" I asked.

"Yeah. Two, to be exact. One for you, and one for me. We are going to this show, Mer," Ethan said, happily.

"Oh my God. Okay I'll talk to Bobby about it and I'll pay you back for it," I said.

"No need. Think of it as an early birthday present. I had to beg Mom to let us go though. She's afraid of us going to rock concerts," Ethan chuckled.

"But yet she lets us go out on hunts?" I asked.

"She never lets me go out on hunts. Mom doesn't want me to even pursue the hunter life. She thinks I should grow up to be a doctor or something. " Ethan reminded.

"Riiight. Hahahah Dr. Ethan Walsh. That's an idea!" I joked. Ethan laughed. "It has a nice ring to it. Well just tell her that demons are ten times worse than rock concerts and that she has nothing to worry about," I said.

"She's just a little worried about the whole drug aspect," Ethan said.

"We won't be doing any!" I exclaimed.

"You're damn right you won't be doing any drugs," Andrea said, coming into the café from outside. She had been outside taking out trash. She turned on the faucet and washed her hands. "You two better be careful. I've been to rock concerts before. A lot more happens than you think."

"Mom just thinks that every concert is like Woodstock," Ethan said.

"Your mother is just worrying about us. It's okay, Ethan," I said back.

"So what've you been up to, Meredith? I rarely see you anymore without Dean attached to your hip," Andrea started, changing the subject.

"Hm, I wonder what other ways they've been attached," Ethan mumbled. My eyes widened and I elbowed Ethan in the ribcage. "Ow!"

"What was that?" Andrea asked.

"Nothing. I've been fine. School is a pain but I'm trucking through. Things are a lot better with my dad though so that's… good," I said.

"Good. I don't think we'll ever forget you guys' little show Christmas day," Andrea chuckled.

"Oh God, don't remind me," I said, putting my head down and blushing. It was embarrassing – that whole fight in general.

"It's okay, we're just teasing you," Ethan said.