Sequel: For the First Time

Diary of a Hunter

TWENTY SIX

I was half asleep when I heard a knock on my door. It was late and everyone else was supposed to be asleep. I turned my bedside lamp on and then ran over to the mirror. I looked over in the mirror and tried to make myself look presentable. I ruffled my fingers through my hair and sighed. I went over to the door and opened it. There was Dean, standing in my doorway.

"What're you doing?" I asked, sleepily.

"I'm coming into your room," Dean replied. I giggled and rolled my eyes playfully. He grabbed me by the waist and pulled me in close to him with one swift moment. I giggled and kissed him. He kissed me back before pulling away. I shut the door behind us and he lay down on my bed.

"Yeah, go right ahead. Make yourself at home," I said sarcastically.

"Thank you," he said.

I laughed, "So what brings you here, Mr. Winchester?" I got onto the bed and sat there, my knees curled up to my chest, wrapping my arms around my knees.

"Well I was thinking about you…" Dean replied, a mischievous look on his face.

"Oh really?" I asked, cocking my head to the side.

"Mhm," Dean said. He then reached for me and brought me down to the bed. He kissed me passionately but the kisses were different than normal. They were slow and longing, like he was savoring every ounce of our kiss.

I giggled as Dean began to kiss my neck. I moaned softly once he hit my sweet spot.

"Baby, you're going to have to be a lot quieter than that," Dean said. Dean returned to my lips to as I moaned in his mouth. His hands traveled down my stomach to the top of my pajama shorts. He stroked my hips and played with the elastic on the shorts. As much as I wanted to do this right now, my brain was screaming at me not to. It was too obvious and we'd get busted easily. I pulled away.

"Mm, not tonight baby," I groaned.

"Don't worry. I didn't come in here for sex," Dean said.

"Really?" I asked, skeptically. I did not at all believe that.

"Really," he said back. I made a face at him.

"So what you just did... totally not trying to have sex, right?" I asked, teasingly.

"I'm serious, Mer! I just wanted to come kiss my girlfriend goodnight," he explained, innocently.

"Okay, goodnight," I said teasingly, leaning in and kissing him once. I pulled away and crossed my arms over my chest.

"So you're already trying to get rid of me?" Dean asked, playfully.

"Dean, Bobby is right down the hall," I reminded.

"I know," Dean said. "I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight, Meredith."

"Goodnight, Dean," I replied. Dean got up off of my bed and started to walk to the door. I was surprised. I thought Dean would've tried harder to stay. I wanted him to stay... His hand was on the doorknob when I stopped him.

"Maybe you could… stay the night. Just… no sex. I'm really exhausted. I had a long day at school and a long night at the café," I said.

Dean smiled, "I knew you'd cave to me, baby."

"Oh please, I was this close to letting you leave and go back to your room," I said, sticking my tongue out at him.

"You should find a better place to put that," he said.

"Oh really?" I asked, challengingly.

"Mhm. Like here," he said, kissing me. I wrapped my arms around him, bringing Dean closer to me. Dean put his hands on either side of me as I slowly brought him down to the bed with me. He continued to kiss me as we lay on the bed together.

After a while of making out, Dean pulled away and I groaned.

"What? I thought you said you wanted to sleep?" he asked

"I do," I replied. I got underneath the covers and took a deep breath. I noticed Dean staring at my face and it made me blush. "What?"

"You're just beautiful, Mer," Dean said.

"Stop it. You're making me blush," I said, looking away from him.

"You are," he said.

"Well thank you," I replied, hoping it'd stop him. "So you gonna join me or are you just going to sit there and stare at me?"

"The first option," Dean replied.

I giggled, "Okay."

Dean got underneath the covers next to me. The two of us exchanged a small chuckle as we cozy-ed up to each other. I reached over quickly and turned off my night side lamp.

"I love you, Dean," I said, as I closed my eyes.

"I love you too," Dean replied.

There was a tenderness about Dean's visit that made me nervous. It almost felt like a goodbye but I couldn't figure out why. I scolded myself for worrying too much about it. I closed my eyes, attempted to clear my mind, and just enjoyed the present moment in Dean's arm.

I woke up Saturday morning and reached over to the right side only to feel my empty bed. I opened my eyes and the covers were down and there was nothing but a body print there on the bed. I guess he left in the morning. I got out of bed and hurried down stairs to the kitchen. John, Bobby, Sam, and Sawyer were all sitting at the breakfast table. I kept reminding myself that I had nothing to worry about. I got a bowl of cereal and joined them. Bobby was telling Sam and Sawyer some story that seemed to really intrigue them.

"Morning," I said, greeting everyone. I stood by the table. I could tell that my confusion and worry was evident on my face.

"Morning," everyone else said in response.

"Hey, where's Dean?" I asked, curiously, trying not to seem too eager.

"He's uh-," Bobby started, exchanging glances with John. Something was up. Did they know something that I didn't?

"He went for a walk. He said something about needing to clear his head," John said, interrupting Bobby.

"Oh, okay," I said.

"Come join us, Meredith," John invited.

"Yes, sir," I replied.

"I actually, uh, I have some great news," John started.

"Oh yeah?" I asked, eating a spoonful of my cereal.

"I talked to Dean already about it but I wanted to take this chance to tell the whole family. I got a lead on the demon that killed Mary. It's a new lead… I think we're getting closer. This isn't just any normal case and it may take a while so we're leaving Monday," John said.

Bobby watched as both me and Sawyer's faces fell, "Oh, congratulations," I said, trying to sound enthusiastic about it.

"Dad, but what if-, we're almost done with school!" Sam protested.

"I'm sorry, son, but I want to have you and Dean with me for this. If school isn't over and the lead seems to not be what it was made out to be then maybe we'll come back but this is important… to all of us," John said, staring his son down. "There will be other schools."

Sam knew that he didn't have a choice. Maybe one day he'd finally tell his dad what he wanted. He just hoped that day would be soon.

But my heart froze. They were leaving? And Dean knew about this? That would probably explain why Dean had been so weird last night. The way he had kissed felt like… goodbye. Now I understood why.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~3rd Person POV~

"Thank you for meeting me on such short notice," Caleb said, taking a swig of his coffee in the older diner.

"Yeah," Dean said, distantly. He was dreading this conversation because he knew what Caleb Summers was going to say. After his dad had told him he was leaving and Caleb had called, Dean sort of put two and two together. That's why he snuck into Meredith's bedroom last night.

"I heard your dad got a lead on the demon that killed your mom and that you guys are leaving Monday. You must be excited," Caleb started, casually. In some ways, Caleb Summers reminded Dean of his dad. Both men were not men of many words and were extremely protective of their children and wanted revenge on the demon that killed their wives – different demons. They had the same kind of intensity and drive that Dean knew he'd grow up to have. And normally he'd want that. He admired that. But being here with Meredith had started making him rethink what he really wanted with his life.

"I guess. That thing killed my mom so yes but… I was kind of making a life for myself here," Dean started.

"Right," Caleb said.

"Look, can we just cut to the chase? What do you have to say about Meredith?" Dean asked.

"Right to the point. I knew there was something I liked about you," Caleb replied, still avoiding the question. "You care a lot about her, right?"

"Yes, sir," Dean replied.

"Bobby tells me that she's been talking about become a hunter. Do you know anything about this?" Caleb asked.

Dean opened his mouth to say something. Meredith was talking about becoming a hunter? He had no idea that was even happening... When had she talked to Bobby about this and why didn't he know anything about it? Why hadn't she told him? That was the last thing he wanted for her. As much as he wanted her to take off with him and they could be together and fight demons for the rest of their lives, he couldn't ask her to throw away everything she had going for her. He knew why Caleb had asked him here and he hated to admit it, but he knew Caleb was right. Dean knew he was going to say yes to what Caleb was going to ask him and he hated himself for it.

"No, she never said anything to me about that," Dean said, caught off guard.

"I see. In less than two days, you'll be leaving her. I know my daughter very well and she'll want to try and make this work. You'll come back and visit her at Bobby's and her senior year, instead of worrying about getting into college, the more and more she loves you, she'll get ready to take off after she graduates. She'll become a hunter, Dean, and that's the last thing I want for her. If you care at all about my daughter, Dean, I need you to end it with her. I absolutely do not want this life for her. Think about it. She deserves better," Caleb said, determined. Caleb might as well have said, "you're love will kill her".

Dean sighed and thought for a moment. He thought about all of things that his dad had put him and Sam through and the life they lived. Dean had always pictured Meredith going off to college and actually doing something with her life. He loved her. Her father was right. How could he drag her into something as terrible as this?

"What if she wants to become a hunter?" Dean asked, only defensive out of fear of losing Meredith.

"Do you want her to become a hunter?" Caleb shot back. Damn him, Dean thought. He was right about that. The last thing he wanted was to drag her into this. She knew about it, but she didn't live the life they did -- always on the road, a different bed every week. No. He wanted more for her.

"What if it hurts her?" Dean asked, weakly.

"If it hurts her, she has many people around her that love her. She has support," Caleb replied.

Dean could feel it all slipping away. The one person that always made him feel happy and it was all about to disappear in less than two days. He wasn't ready for it to be taken away from him but he knew that he was just being selfish.

Caleb sighed, "I think she'd be very happy in a normal life."

The words kept replaying themselves over and over again in Dean's mind. Dean thought it over endlessly. He didn't want to end it with Meredith but he knew it was the best thing to do. He sat there and agonized over it. He didn't want to say anything to Caleb yet because that would just mean that this was real. Dean knew the answer to Caleb's question and swallowed hard. After a long pause Dean finally looked at Meredith's father in the eyes, "Okay, I'll do it. I'll leave her alone."

He felt like he couldn't breath, saying those words aloud. He was really doing it, wasn't he?

"And Dean? I need you to stay away from her until she's done with school. Done with high school and then... done with college," Caleb demanded. "She needs to finish it before she can choose. I need her to see her potential before she throws her life away."

"No! No, you can't make me-," Dean began, hostile, before stopping himself. "Alright."

He'd try.

"And if you could not mention this to Meredith or Sawyer, that would preferable. Talk to your father about it though. He'll understand and uh, he'll keep you away from Meredith," Caleb started.

"Yes, sir," Dean gritted through a closed jaw. He hated this so much. He didn't know whether to cry, punch Caleb in the face, or break something. Hell, he didn't know what to feel...

Caleb Summers sighed with relief and sat back in the booth. Desperate times call for desperate measures for a father concerned with his daughter.

~End 3rd Person POV~