Sequel: Therapy
Status: This story is complete. Please note that certain chapters may act as a trigger, and if you feel yourself getting triggered at any time, I want you to stop and just breathe, okay? I'm only a message away if you need some random stranger to talk to.

If These Sheets Were States

Return the Favour

Alex leaned back in his chair, stretching his body whilst Bella watched with a hint of a smile on her face. He came back towards the table and they talked about their day. Bella told Alex everything that happened at college, in full. Alex told Bella about the day he'd had with Jack, Zack and Rian. They shared their stories when the waiter came over, Alex paid their bill, making Bella screw her face up at Alex.

"You look like you're hot, Bella. Why don't you just take that cardigan off already? It's boiling in here!"

"Erm, well.. I'd rather not."

"Erm, well.. why?" Alex mimicked. A look of realisation spread across his face and he frowned, but raising one eyebrow, he got up and walked round to Bella. He pulled her chair out for her and extended an arm. Bella grabbed his arm and they walked out of the restaurant.

"Alex, where are we going?"

"Hush. You speak too many words."

Bella giggled as Alex starting running slightly to his hotel room, dragging Bella along the way. But Alex had a serious look on his face that Bella couldn't see. He was still playful with Bella, and he was still showing her the same emotion as always, but he'd known the real reason for her not taking off that damned cardigan. Alex cursed inside his head.

They reached Alex's hotel room door. Alex swiped his room-card and they walked in, Bella's face smothered by a look of astonishment at how fancy the room was. Alex smirked and walked into the bathroom. He grabbed some items and walked back out to Bella, demanding she sit on the bed.

"Why?"

"Bella, just do it please. But take off your cardigan first. Now."

"But please, I don't want to. I-I-I.. really.. I can explain."

"Just please. Take it off. For me."

Bella winced as she started to remove the cardigan, trying not to face Alex. Trying to prevent any sort of eye contact with him. This must have been the most awkward situation she had ever been in, and she really didn't like it. But she felt she couldn't help it. The cardigan fell off of her body and onto the floor, as she pushed it from where she was sitting on the edge of the bed. She held her arm down, keeping it covered, making sure nothing was visible. They were doing so well, she didn't want to ruin anything but she had the worst gut feeling that he already knew, and that everything was already ruined..

"Turn your arm over."

"What have you got in your hands?"

"Bella.."

Bella reluctantly turned her arm over, revealing a deep cut up the inside of her forearm. Alex was taken aback by the sight, but instead of flipping out, he simply closed his eyes and sighed and knelt down in between Bella's legs.

"What are you doing?"

He put everything on the floor next to him and pulled Bella's arm towards him. "Bella, this is really bad. Why did you do it? Is this to do with what you haven't yet told me?"

"No. Nothing to do with it at all."

"Then what?"

"Can I explain later when I tell you what I haven't told you? It might all add up then."

"Sure." Alex rolled his eyes and shook his head, examining the cut. It ran from her wrist, up to the inside of her elbow, and fuck, was it deep. Alex reached to the floor, holding Bella's arm with the other hand. He picked up a pair of tweezers.

"What exactly are you doing with them?"

"Honestly? I had my suspicions. Just stay still. Don't.. move.. a muscle." Alex looked carefully and closely at the cut, picking at bits of cotton and wool that had stuck to the cut as it had started to heal. He pulled them out and threw them to the floor. Bella gasped as they stung her, but feeling slightly relieved as they had been itching all night. Alex then grabbed a wipe that he had nabbed from the bathroom. He wiped up drops of blood that were starting to form from the cut, as the cotton being pulled from it had opened it up slightly. Bella shut her eyes tight, forcing her head to look the other way as she bit her lip hard. "You do know this is your own fault, right?" Alex laughed as he tried to finish it as quickly as he could.

"Yeah, I know. But it still hurts. SO BAD OH MY GOD." Bella screamed as Alex wiped it across one more time.

"I think some of the stuff from the wipe must have.. seeped in or something." Alex murmured as he threw the wipe away. He then grabbed the last item from the floor - some sheets of kitchen roll.

Folding them across their perforation lines, he placed the folded sheets on Bella's arm and held them down with his hand. Alex motioned for Bella to do the same as he went to look for some tape.

"You bring tape with you?"

"Probably not. But they must have 'First Aid' kits in these rooms, right? Surely.."

"I doubt it. They probably expect -"

"VOILA!" Alex found a 'First Aid' kit and taped down the sheets of tissue.

- - - - - - - - - -

"Bella, why did you feel the need to do that? Again?" Alex reached out and stroked Bella's cheek as they laid on his hotel bed. Their heads were both propped up by their elbows and they were staring at each other, talking.

"College. People. Shit." Bella murmured sadly as she looked down slightly. Alex put his hand under her chin and pulled her back up to look at him.

"Can I know now? I think I deserve it really." Alex chuckled.

Bella gave him a faint smile and took a deep breath. Here she goes..