Status: I have a terrible habit of starting a story and never finishing, but I'll try REALLY HARD, I promise!

Together

The Riot

It takes five minutes to get to the station, and we almost miss the train heading into the central part of city. As it is, the train takes off as we get to the station and we have to run after it. Asa jumps onto the back of it and holds out his hand. I’m falling back, I’m getting to the end of the platform, I’m going to miss it, God dammit, on all days, I have to miss the train-“You can run faster than that, Anna, now come on!” Asa yells. He’s right. I push a little harder, get a burst of speed, grab his hand and he pulls me up. He makes sure I have a grip on the railing before letting go and asking, “Where’s the lunches?” I look at my hands, and then I look back. I can just make out two brown bags sitting on the tracks. I dropped them when I jumped. “Great,” Asa mutters.
“Sorry,” I say sheepishly. He shakes his head.
“It’s fine, Anna. I’ll just buy us something small, we get our wages today-” I interrupt him.
“No, you can’t! You’re saving your wages for the wedding! You can’t afford to-”
“Yes, I can, now shut up.” He says. I glare at him, and he glares back until I back down and look away. He smiles triumphantly. It starts to drizzle. He opens the umbrella and holds it over my head.
“You have to get under it, too,” I tell him. He’s going to get a cold.
“I’ll be fine, Anna. You have to look somewhat decent today and you can’t do that if you look like a drowned cat all day.” I give him a look, miffed that he thinks a little rain will make me look like a drowned cat, but I take the umbrella anyway, since he’s right. We’re quiet the rest of the ride into Greydale, the neighborhood closest to the center of the city. It’s where most of the factories are, and where we work. The train starts to slow down, and from looking at the massive clock in the station, we’re running late. Asa and I don’t wait for the train to stop as usual, but jump off onto the platform the second we can without killing ourselves. It’s a lot sooner than people would think- I’ve jumped off when it’s going about 20 or 25 miles an hour, but that’s because I have a lot of practice. We take off running, knowing we’ll get skinned if we’re late.
Even though we ran as fast as we could, we’re still two minutes late.
“Two minutes and three seconds,” the foreman, Midgley, barks as we run in, breathless, and take our time cards to the machine. Asa apologizes for us and tries to explain how it’s my Matching today and the train was slow, but he gets stopped. “Yeah, yeah, just get to work!” Midgley yells, sending us scurrying to our stations. Asa works in the boiler room, shoveling coal into the boilers to make the machines work, and I work in the spinning room. Ruggar’s is Westmere’s biggest textile factory. Michael Ruggar, is an extremely selfish man who looks strangely like a frog in a plaid suit. I walk into my station, nodding to Becca and Jane, who have the stations next to me.
We’re supposed watch the threads, count a certain number of spins, shove a stick into the machine to separate the length of thread, and cut it. Basically the end result is two blocks of wood with thousands of threads stretched across the middle. We get a stack of ten, pick them up and bring them down to the weavers, who hook them up to a different machine and spin the threads together. We’re also supposed to make sure that the threads don’t get caught. If they do, we’re supposed to go in between the machines and untangle them, which is tricky, because they spin really fast. If you hit a thread while it’s spinning it can actually cut you. It happens a lot to the newbies, but even the people who’ve been working here forever, like me, get cut about once a week. It requires nimble fingers and fast reflexes, not just from you, but also the people around you. You can get your hair caught, or your clothes, and your neighbors have to be able to grab you before you get seriously hurt. Becca got her dress caught a couple months ago and we just barely grabbed her before it ripped completely off her. It’s dangerous work, and the pay’s pretty shitty, which makes it worse.
It’s loud, so there’s not really a whole lot of room for conversation. Even so, Rebecca, Jane and I manage to discuss events. Mostly they ask me if I’m nervous. They know my Matching is today. I nod yes, and they give me small smiles. They’ve both already met their Match. Jane is 18, and she met hers when she was 17, too. She’s married to George Hutchings. Becca’s 16 and she just met her Match a month ago. His name’s Andrew McIlrath or something. It makes me feel left out during lunch break, when they talk about them, but it won’t be like that soon. By tomorrow I’ll be able to join in their conversations.
My eyes have to squint in the dim light of the factory. By the time I’m 25 I’m going to be practically blind, I swear. Ruggar’s made enough money in the 35 years this place has been open, he could at least invest in some lights. It’s not like we have any, their too expensive, but he could. He just refuses to, though plenty of us have asked him to get some. “You don’t need them,” He says every time. But he’s never even worked down here, he barely leaves his office and when he does all he does is stand by the railing yelling at people. All down this part of the factory you see people, mostly children, darting in and out of the machines, untangling threads. They don’t allow you to work in the spinning room unless you’re under a certain height, because it supposedly makes it easier to get between the machines. It’s a load of bull, because it’s hard enough to get through as it is, and I’m only 5’3 ¾.
Finally, the machines stop and the bells ring for lunch. I walk out with Becca and Jane, who are swinging their lunch bags happily. I shuffle out after them, feeling hunger start to creep up on me. We sit on the steps outside the factory, now that the rain’s stopped and the sun is breaking through the clouds. “So,” Jane says, leaning towards me. “Are you excited?” She asks. I smile.
“I guess so,” I say.
“You ‘guess so’?” Becca says incredulously. “What’s that supposed to mean?! I was nearly peeing myself when it was my Matching!” Jane and I smile.
“We know, we were there,” we say in unison. She laughs. Abbie walks up to our little group and sits down.
“So, what are we talking about?” She says. I don’t really dislike Abbie, but she’s not my absolute favorite. She’s a bit brainless and frankly that’s not good in a place like this. She’s nice, but I don’t like feeling like I have to worry every time she’s near.
“It’s Anna’s Matching,” Jane says. Abbie grins.
“Oh, you lucky girl! I won’t have mine till I’m 22…” she says, pouting momentarily before turning her attention back to me. “Anyway, do you have any ideas on what you want him to look like?” She asks. They all look at me. Funny, I’d never even really thought about that before.
“Not really, no.” They all give me skeptical looks. “Well I just haven’t thought about it!” I say, crossing my arms.
“Oh come on,” Becca says. “Just think of things right now!” I look at them.
“Well…I like dark hair. And dark eyes.” I say. They giggle.
“Ooh, Anna wants a tall, dark stranger to whisk her away to her fairytale land,” Abbie says. They all giggle, and I blush.
“Well, he has to be other things, too,” I say. They look at me. “He has to be smart, I don’t want to marry someone who’s a complete dolt, and…books. I hope he likes books.” I say.
“Of course you would,” Jane says. Just then, Asa comes up the steps.
“Ladies,” He says. “What are we talking about?”
“Anna’s ideal man,” Abbie says, flipping her hair. She likes to flirt with Asa, even though she knows he’s got Iryna. Asa raises an eyebrow.
“Oh? What’s he like? I bet her looks like me, I mean, who wouldn’t want someone like me?” He says, striking a ridiculous pose. We all laugh.
“Completely the opposite,” I say. He makes a look of mock offense.
“Well then, I guess you won’t be wanting this,” He says, taking an apple out of his jacket. I give him a look that asks where he got it. He looks guilty.
“Asa, it’s illegal to steal things,” I say quietly. He could get in serious trouble for this. The anti-theft rule in Westmere is rigid.
“The fruit vendor won’t miss two apples, he was too busy flirting with the bread woman to even notice I was at the stand,” He says. “Besides, you should be able to eat something on your Matching. And since you dropped our lunches this morning...” He trails off. I roll my eyes, and he tosses the apple at me, grinning.
“Thanks,” I say, biting into it.
“Anytime, sis.” He says, winking. We all finish our lunches and linger outside, trying to enjoy the sun, but all too soon the bells ring and it’s time to return to work. I glance at my wrist as we head in.
00. 05. 45. 16. Oh Lord. Five more hours. I have a hard time concentrating the rest of the day and almost cut myself a couple times. I resolve not to look at my wrist till work is over. It takes a lot of will power, but I do it. The bells ring at five, signaling the end of the work day.
00. 00. 15. 03. I run to the bathroom and puke. Abbie walks in on my halfway and runs back out again. She returns a minute later with Asa, who doesn’t seem to care that this is the ladies’ bathroom and he shouldn’t be in here. My hair’s falling out of the braid, so he holds it back and rubs my back till I’m done. Then he runs out and comes back with a breath mint. I rinse my mouth out good, and pop it in.
“I’m scared,” I whimper. He hugs me tight.
“It’ll be alright, Pip.” He says. “You’re getting yourself too worked up.”
“Were you this scared when it was your Matching?” I asked, still hugging him. I wasn't with him during his, I was sick. I feel him nod.
“Except I didn’t throw up,” He says. I groan. He hauls me to my feet. “Come on, let’s go, it’s not gonna do you any good staying here.” I nod and follow him out of the factory. It’s cloudy again. “Do you feel anything?” He asks. He means like if I’m getting a feeling of where I’m supposed to go. I shake my head no. “Alright, well let’s just go towards the station and go from there.” He says. I nod. On the way towards the station we see a lot of people standing on street corners, yelling about the deportation of the Vertoak peoples from Aaveil. I quietly ask Asa what they’re talking about. He shrugs. “I have no idea,” He says. We continue walking slowly towards the station. It seems a lot more crowded than earlier today.
00. 00. 10. 57. I look around, trying to see if I’ll see him. Of course I don’t, but I can try. It’s even more crowded in the actual station. We start heading to our usual platformk, which is 9. Asa stops and buys some Chestnuts, which I know he can’t afford. We walk over to one of the benches and eat them slowly.
00. 00. 05. 49. My stomach hurts. Is it from not eating a lot today?
00.00.04.00. I feel a pull to the left and I get up. Asa gets up to follow. There’s an awful lot of people here…
00. 00. 03. 19. It seems like a lot of the people are the olive-toned Vertoakians…
00.00.02.38. I feel someone push me. Asa yells at them. My heart starts to pound.
00.00.02.29. Suddenly there’s a yell and a group of people starting to fight near my. I try to step out of the way, but the pull is getting stronger and it’s pulling me straight towards what’s now become a mob.
00.00.01.00. Holy God, there’s only a minute left. But how am I supposed to find him in this mess? I can hardly find Asa, who’s calling my name.
00.00.00.55. The Royal Guard comes charging into the station on their horses. People scream and start pushing each other out of the way. Someone's arm hits my neck. I push forward still, heart pounding.
00.00.00.45. Asa manages to grab my arm. “Anna, come on, you’re going to get trampled!” He yells.

“But he’s here! I can feel it!” I yell back, tugging my arm out of his grasp and pushing forward still.
00.00.00.30. Where is he? I can feel the pull, it’s starting to hurt a little. Or maybe that’s from not eating?
00.00.00.20. Asa’s found me again. “Anna we have to go, they’re gonna think we’re a part of the mob!”
“But I can’t leave!” I tell him.
00.00.00.10. The tattoo starts to look like it’s glowing. Oh my God, he’s here, he’s got to be close, but where is he? My stomach’s rolling. “I’m going to be sick,” I moan to no one and keep pushing. 00.00.00.05. The Counter’s really glowing gold now. Out of nowhere Guards comes charging right in front of me. Asa only just manages to pull me back. “No, Asa! I have to find him! I have to-” 00.00.00.00. I missed him.
I look around desperately, but it’s such a mass of Guards and horses and people screaming and blood, there’s blood now, but where is he? The Counter, which was glowing bright gold a second ago, starts to fade out. “No!” I scream. Asa tugs me away. I fight him, screaming and trying to break away, but it’s no use, he’s stronger than me, and he drags me out of the station and then forces me to walk the opposite way. I’m crying. My stomach hurts. I run to a bush and throw up again.
Asa takes my arm and we walk all the way back home in what is now a downpour. It takes half an hour. It’s getting dark by the time we get home. Mam and Papa are waiting in the doorway, smiling, expecting there to be three people. I see the confusion on their face when they realize there are only two of us. They don’t say anything, though. Asa sits me down in a chair, still crying.
“What happened?” Papa asks.
“There was a riot at the station,” Asa says blankly. “She kept walking towards Platform 7, but then there was a mob, and the Guard came in on the horses and she almost got run over and I pulled her back and by the time I had her out of the horses reach her Counter had stopped glowing.” He sounds so confused, and distressed. It’s silent, except for me sniffling. I retch into a bowl. Papa opens his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. Finally, Mam stands me up and leads me to bed. She undresses me, pulls my nightgown over my head, and tucks me in. She takes a cool cloth and wipes my face, pulls my hair away from my eyes, and gives me a bowl in case I throw up more. She kisses my forehead, but still says nothing. I wish she would say something, anything. The fact that none of them tells me that this is very wrong and they don’t know how to deal with it. They always know how to deal with things. I start to cry again, softly. I throw up twice more, which makes me cry harder. I lost my Match. What will happen to me? What will happen to him? I feel horrible. I’m dying, I think. I drift off, exhausted, to that question turning around in my head- what happens when you lose your Match?
♠ ♠ ♠
When I came up with the story, I had the plot figured out till here, so that's why I updated so quickly. Don't get your hopes up for such quick updates. Anyway, the riot's gonna work itself into the rest of the story, just you wait! Next chapter's gonna be a bit weird because I don't really know how to make it happen, but I'll figure it out....somehow...