Coffee Shop Soundtrack

Track 08: What Are You So Scared Of? - Tonight Alive

"Hey kiddo what are you doing here?" Cassie asked when she looked up from washing the dishes to see Noah walk in.

School had just gotten out a few moments ago and usually Noah had football practice after school so didn't actually show up at the shop until five at the earliest. But there he was, dropping his bag behind the counter five minutes after three pulling on an apron ready to help Cassie with the afternoon rush.

Noah just shrugged as he began to dry the dishes she was washing. "Football practice was canceled today and I didn't want to go home so I decided to come here."

"Oh well, thanks for helping out. I was all prepared to deal with the shop alone for a few hours."

"Where's Ryan?"

"Oh you know," Cassie sighed, grabbing another cup from the pile next to the sink and dunking it in the soapy water. "Wrestling crocodiles, pretending to hate the world when he's actually a secret superhero with laser eyes."

Noah laughed, "so the usual then?"

"You could say that," Cassie giggled. "Though I don't know what he's really doing. I assume something to do with the shop but no matter how close Ryan and I have gotten over the years he still keeps his private life well- private. I don't really know what he likes to do outside of work."

"He's not the only one who likes to keep his home life a secret," Noah sighed making Cassie turn to face him, catching a sad look on his face.

"What do you mean?"

Noah shrugged as he set the towel he had been using to dry the dishes down once Cassie handed him the last cup. "Just that people usually hide who they really are at home because they don't want to show others who they really are."

"So who are you at home?"

She could see that Noah was hesitant to reply, but she hoped that he would actually open up and tell her. Ryan, Georgia, and her were seeing a whole different person in Noah when he was with the three of them. Georgia had even said so when Noah hadn't been around. The teen had said that at school he was the cocky jock who had the world handed to him on a silver platter. Straight A student, great home life, and was accepted into all the great schools on a football scholarship. But when he was at the shop, he was quieter, more reserved and almost unsure of himself. Georgia had called him out on if a few times and he just blushed and instantly changed the subject, usually mentioning that they should continue on the project they were working on. Though even with that project, Cassie found both teens coming into the shop more and more regularly and not always because of the project. Sure the shop was the best place to come for two high school seniors in different social circles who didn't want to be caught together by their friends. But they even came in to just talk now and learn more about making the coffee's and cakes from Ryan and Cassie. And Cassie had a theory that both needed to get away from their families and the shop helped them forget.

But as Cassie watched him, she saw some more of Noah's walls break down and completely give up the cocky facade and the vulnerable boy underneath. "I'm the nerdy bookworm with the big glasses who likes to be alone in his room with an old record playing while reading a classic."

"Why can't you be him all the time?"

"Because if I was my parents would disown me. I have to be exactly who they want me to be or I'd be kicked out and I'd loose everything."

Cassie sighed at that, "it can't be that bad Noah."

"Yeah it is, ever since I threw a ball and they realized I was good at football my whole life was planned out for me. I've tried to be the person I really am but they just laughed in my face and told me to either knock it off and follow their ideas or I can just leave. I have no choice. That's why I want to graduate and go to the best school and then make my own dreams. Thats why I have to continue this facade until I graduate then I can leave this hell hole and be who I really am."

They were both silent for a little while and Cassie could see that Noah was trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall. She stepped forward and rest a hand on his shoulder, not sure how far she should go with the comfort. Then without warning he sniffled and then stepped forward and rest his head on her shoulder and took a few deep breaths to try and keep himself together. She smiled faintly at seeing this new more sensitive side of the boy and wrapped her arms around him. Noah was a good few inches taller than her 5 foot 5 frame and easily towered over her. But now he seemed so small and helpless as she tried to comfort the hurting boy.

The bell above the door ruined the silence and they both looked up to see Georgia and Ryan walking in with a few large boxes in their hands. Noah straightened up and took one more deep breath and wiped his eyes to make sure that he hadn't actually cried. Cassie gave him an encouraging smile as he broke their eye contact to go take the box Georgia was carrying.

Ryan walked behind the counter with his box and gave Cassie a look as he set it down and turned to his coworker. "What was all that about?"

"I'll tell you later," Cassie replied as she handed Ryan a scissors to open the tape that sealed the box. "But lets just say that I might have just met a whole new Noah that no one's really seen before. What about you? When did you meet up with Georgia? And what the hell is in these boxes?"

The all too familiar mischievous smile appeared on Ryan's face and he opened the box he had brought and pulled out a few things that had been packed inside, holding them out to her.

"I'll tell you about her later, but what do you think of this new moose head I got to hang over the door over there? I was thinking we could put Christmas lights in the antlers to make it festive for Christmas! And the other box has one of those awesome singing fish in them that has a motion sensor that sings when anybody walks by! What do you think?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Lol the last part with the moose and fish was all thanks to Alex. I just texted her to ask what should be in the boxes and she told me that so I just went with it. Haha.

Hoped you guys like it so far! Thank you to BeautifulBreakdown and AlisonTimeLow for the comments and all the subs we've gotten so far! <3