His World

She Smiled

Sherry fumbled with the hem of her skirt while she waited, somewhat impatiently, for the ceremony to begin. She waited for the organ to play, for the bride to walk down the aisle, then to be board for endless hours while the ceremony played on. Then, Sherry thought, would be the reception; and that is where the real fun would begin. Or, rather, where her fun would begin.

She would awkwardly smile and wave at strangers as they walked past her. They’d stare with curious gazes, and then turn to the rest of his or her party and whisper, “Who is that young lady? I don’t think I’ve ever seen her before.”

To the brunette’s knowledge, she knew no one at the wedding. She purposely chose a seat in the back so that family members, real family members, could get a chance to see the bride or groom say their vows and whatever else happened at weddings – as Sherry didn’t know, she had never been to a wedding before.

So, she played with the hem of her skirt. She fumbled with the bangles on her wrists, ignoring the jingly sound they made as she played with them. She twisted her necklace between her polished fingers. All the while, a board expression remained pasted to her square, porcelain face.

“How are you today?” a deep, gruff asked from beside her. Sherry jumped in surprise, the heart-shaped pendant on her neck slipping out of her fingers as she turned towards whoever scared her.

The young woman let out a sigh of relief, a warm smile gracing her face, “Scott, it’s just you.” She placed her right hand over her heart, hoping that would calm the racing beat down. He was all dressed up in a suit and opal tie, his blonde hair gelled back so the strands would stay out of his emerald eyes

Scott smiled back, “I’m glad you could make it,” he told her, “I was worried-“

“That I wouldn’t? Yeah… me too,” she answered sheepishly, a light blush warming her pale cheeks.

A short, awkward silence overcame them. Scott stuffed his hands in his pockets, shuffling back and forth on the balls of his feet.

“Oh!” she suddenly remembered, “Did the it come, letter?” In expectancy, she sat on the edge of her seat.

Scott blushed, glancing down at the ground before answering, “Um, yeah. It came in the mail this morning.”

“And…?” her sapphire eyes lit up, her thin lips forming a perfect “o” as she waited for Scott’s answered – waiting to hear if he had gotten his acceptance letter from the University of Missouri or not. Sherry didn’t know if she could’ve handled the rejection, even though it wasn’t her letter.

“I got in,” he couldn’t control the grin that took over his face as he said those words.

Sherry squealed, jumping up to feet and engulfed Scott in a tight embrace. For the moment, she had completely forgotten about the uptight wedding guests.

“Sorry,” she softly apologized after ending the hug, “I’m just so excited for you!”

Her smile was beautiful, he thought, as he said, “Yeah, I am too, now all we have to do is get you in, and we’ll be set.”

“I can’t get in to a school like Mizzou,” she shook her head, “Besides, and that’s your school.”

“But they have an excellent journalism program,” Scott attempted to sway her, “Why go to any other school if they have one of the best journalism progams in the country?”

“Because it’s unbelievably expensive,” she mischievously responded, “And it’s a party school.”

“So? What does that have to do with it?” he asked her, a silly grin on his face.

“You know I don’t like parting,” the brunette groaned.

“You don’t have to party, you know,” the blonde informed her.

“I’m still not changing my mind,” Sherry said in a sing-song voice.

Scott smiled down at her, “Oh just you wait. Come June you’ll be regretting not applying.”

“We’ll see,” her thin lips curled into a smirk, her sapphire orbs challenging his emerald, “Now don’t you have a bridesmaid to escort?”

“This isn’t over,” he joked, “We’ll talk at the reception.”

“Just make sure to save me a dance,” she told him, a light blush rising to her face, as he started to walk away.

“Anything you say,” he was almost joking with her, but he truly meant it. He would do anything that the spirited, care-free brunette would ask of him – all because of the most wonderful, beautiful smile in world. Every time he saw Sherry smile, it would make his world stop.
♠ ♠ ♠
Win or lose, I'm such a fan of this. :)