‹ Prequel: Living with Monsters
Status: a story for carlisle, well because he's awesome.

Wings.

Art and the Soul.

I pulled my shirt down a little as I waited for my daughter Beth to walk down the hall way. I felt the undeniable feeling of anxiety settle in my stomach. I had my first day as a teacher today. I was the high school’s new art teacher. I guess the old one had won the lottery and booked it. I didn’t blame them, I would do the same.

“ Bethany Anne Turner! If you don’t get your butt down here right now no ice cream!” I shouted. She scurried out of her bedroom with a sheepish smile. She was the cutest five year old on the planet. Now, I know most moms say that, but I’m right. She pushed her brown locks from her eyes and stared at me with her big brown eyes.

“mommy can we get a wolf?” she asked me. she struggled to put her jacket on, I kneeled down to help her. I was young when I had her, barley 18 years old. I smiled at her she was the greatest thing in my life.

“why do you want a wolf sweet heart?” I asked her while I zipped up her jacket. I had to drop her of at my dad’s house and race to the high school. I defiantly can’t be late.

“because mom, I want a wolf!” she said happily. She skipped out the door and waited at the car. I opened the door for her and helped her up. I buckled her in and walked over to my side. Once I was in the car I began driving.

“after work we have to go to the store, maybe, maybe Beth, we can look at some puppies okay?” I told her. I turned onto my father’s road and looked back at her. she grinned at me and nodded. We stopped in front of dad’s house, he was waiting on the side walk. He opened the Beth’s door and unbuckled her.

“bye mommy! I love you! I’ll call during lunch!” she shouted at me. I smiled and waved at her.

“okay honey! Have a good day. I love you!” I shouted back at her. she smiled and ran into the house with her grandfather. I smiled and started driving to the school.

Once I got there I could feel the anxiety build. I pulled into my parking spot and calmly grabbed my purse and locked my doors. I had moved to Forks Washington from Maine, not much of a change. I walked into the office to tell them I was here.

“hey! Ms. Turner! Let me the first to tell you, welcome to Forks high school!” the biology, frank, told me. he was friendly enough but he kinda clings on to a person. I smiled at him.

“thank you, please, call me Sam.” I told him. his smile brightend. Oh no, what have I done.

“allow me to walk you to your class.” He said. I smiled at him and fallowed as he walked out the door. the school was starting to fill up and I could hear the whispers of who I might be. as I walked to my classroom I walked past a group of juniors. Usually they wouldn’t have caught my eye but they did. Their skin was flawless and pale. They were beautiful but I could see how the other students stayed away. Hmmm I’ll have to ask father about them later.

“thank you for walking me” I said. Frank nodded and walked to his own class. I walked into my class and couldn’t help but to giggle. This was my first official class room! I began setting up the paint and pencils and various things needed for art. The bell rang and I readied myself for my first class.

~~

I sighed as I sat down. Only one class left, advanced art. My day had went rather quickly it mostly contained students asking questions and me telling them to simply draw for today. It was a wonderful plan, and I intended to use it for this class. The bell rang and the students began filling up. it was an average sized class. I noticed the students from before sitting in the back talking amongst themselves. The bell rang right as another person walked in. My heart leaped with joy as my long time friend Angie walked in. I rose an eyebrow at her, what was she doing here? she smiled at me.

“guess who you’re new student teacher is!” she sang. I laughed and pointed to my chair. This will be fun.

“hello class! My name is Ms. Turner. as you already know, I am your new art teacher. Your old one won the lottery so now you’re stuck with me.” the class laughed and I instantly knew I would like this class. I pointed to angie. “this is Ms. Lembardi, she is the student teacher so if I am not available then ask her. any questions?”

A boy in the front with a blue sweater raised his hand. I nodded at him telling him to ask. “not to be rude Ms. Turner, but how old are you? You look like you should be in high school!” I chuckled at his question, it wasn’t the first time I was asked that.

“I am twenty-three. Any other questions?” I did have to admit I was the youngest teacher at the school. I had graduated early from high school and took double courses in college. Basically I really wanted to be a teacher.

“what will we be doing today?” a girl asked. I smiled at her.

“brilliant question. would one of you lovely students help pass these out for me?” I asked. two boys shot up and walked towards me. I chuckled and handed them each a pile of sketch books. I took notice that they were part of the juniors from earlier. One was a muscular boy with short black hair and the other was a smaller boy with messy hair, they both shared the impossibly pale skin and golden eyes.

“thank you boys. Class these are your new sketch books. Take them with you every where. If you feel inspired then draw it. Every Friday you will turn them in along with a paragraph or two about why it inspired you! Now don’t complain! You are in advanced art! What did you expect? It to be easy?” the boys came back with the one extra sketch book and I handed it to Angie. “you too”

“are you going to do one of these?” a girl with golden eyes asked. she had black curly hair and sat next to the boy with messy hair.

“I suppose if you guys would like me to.” I told the class. They erupted in a firm yes and I laughed. I nodded and pulled out an extra sketch book and a permanent marker. I wrote my name quickly on the inside and passed around the marker. “for today, draw and talk amongst yourseleves. Not to loud though, wouldn’t want the rain to hear.” I joked. The students began working and I turned to Angie.

“hey Sam! Your dad told me you moved back.” she told me. I sighed and glanced around the room. “I didn’t tell Brent you were here.”

“Thanks Ang. He’s the reason we moved.” I told her lowly so the students couldn’t hear. I pushed her out of my chair and made her get a different one.

“what happened? How bad did he hit you?” she asked. I winced at the question. Brent was my, now, ex boyfriend. He was abusive and he threatened to hurt Beth so I broke his nose and we moved.

“he threatened Beth” I told her quietly. I saw out the corner of my eye a hand raised so I put or talk on hold to help the pale student.

“ hey Ms. Turner! I’m Emalia by the way. Could you help me with this, I can’t do the shading right.” The pale girl with black curly hair asked. I crouched down next to her so I could see her picture. I was instantly blown away, she was spectacular with her art. I gently took the picture and held it next to the muscular boy’s face. It looked real.

“this is very good miss Emalia.” I told her. the entire table was looking at us and I realized they were all related. Emalia and the muscular boy looked the most similar. Maybe twins.

“thank you Ms. Turner! it’s Emmett.” She said happily. I looked at the muscular boy whose name is Emmett. I nodded.

“I see.” I said. I grabbed an extra piece of paper and did a rough sketch. “are you right or left handed?” I asked. she looked at me surpised.

“left.” She answered. I chuckled.

“that’s why you are having problems. Left handed people tend to drag their hand when drawing and it smudges the picture, Very frustrating when you’re dealing with coal. Here try this.” I put the thin folded paper under her tiny hand. she smiled.

“thank you, Ms. Turner!” she beamed. I stood up and smiled down at her.

“you are welcome, miss Emalia.” I told her. I walked back to Angie and sat down. Angie was staring at me with a grin on her face.

“your mom was so right when she said you’d be a teacher!” she gushed. I rolled my eyes.

“she was the seer Ang.” I sighed. She giggled but stopped upruptly. “I broke his nose. I wouldn’t allow anyone to threaten my daughter and get away with it.”

“good! Is she at your dad’s house now?” she asked. I nodded.

“yeah. After school is out we’re going to go buy a ‘wolf’.” I told her while chuckling. I knew Beth meant that she wanted a husky, it was the closet to a wolf as she was gonna get. A wolf has been her favorite animal since she could walk. Angie giggled and leaned back in her chair.

“your kid and wolves.” She laughed. I laughed with her. I shut off my computer when I realized class was almost over. The bell rang and the students rushed out, all expect Emalia and her family. They walked up to my desk and smiled at us.

“ welcome to Forks Ms. Turner!” Emalia said chiperly. I smiled at her.

“thank you miss Emalia” I responded. She smiled and they walked out. I looked at Angie and smiled. “I’m gonna head home.” She nodded and hugged me tightly.

“I’ll call” I nodded and walked to my car. My purse was slung over my shoulder, one hand was filled with files of potential art plans, and the other held hot tea. I balanced everything so I could open my car door but it didn’t work. I jumped out of my skin when someone grabbed my tea. I turned to see Frank smiling at me. I opened my door and set my files on the passenger seat. I turned for my tea only to find he had gotten extremely close to me.

“hello, Sam” he said. my heart began racing and panic filled my heart. The last time someone was this close I broke my collar bone. “I was wondering-“ he was cut off my someone calling my name. I looked over to see one of Emalia’s brother’s jogging towards me. frank moved away from me and held out my tea. I took it and glared slightly at him.

“you forgot your jacket in your classroom.” The boy held out. I looked at him with a thankful smile. I knew he wasn’t human and right now I didn’t care. He just saved me from a panic attack. He tilted his head to the side.

“thank you…” I couldn’t remember his name and instantly felt guilty.

“Edward, Edward Cullen. I’m Emalia’s brother.” He told me. I nodded at him.

“thank you mister Edward. Now if you two will excuse me my daughter is waiting to go get a puppy.” I said. Edward’s eye brows shot up in surprise as did frank’s but I was pissed at frank and wished he’d go away.

“you have a daughter? How old?” he asked. I chuckled.

“oh Beth, she’s five. I’m sorry but I really must go.” I told them. Edward said goodbye and moved away from my car. Frank took a couple steps back away from me. I glared at him as I slammed the door close.

On the way to pick up Beth my mind wondered. I could feel my wings rustle underneath my skin. Yes, I said wings. You see, I am not human. That’s how I know the Cullen family isn’t human either. I was born into a clan of witches. They called them selves ‘Anima’ it means soul in Latin. That’s where we get our power from, our souls. Our clan was to protect the beings of earth from evil. That was until my clan was killed, including my mother. She saw her demise coming and held my hand and told me to be strong. I miss my mother. All I have left of the coven are my wings that were hidden as tattoos on my back and my father. Beth was born after the coven was killed. She never knew of them.

I smiled as I pulled into my father’s drive way. I had a feeling that something was going on in this town. Maybe that’s why my father ran away here so many years ago. Maybe that’s why I took Beth here. I had a feeling that something here was going to change my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay everyone! first chapter is up!!!!
hope ya like it! oh before i forget. this is taking place 40 years after baby Gabriel is born. that is why they're teens! you'll get to meet teenage Gabriel in the next chapter.
soooo what do you think of beth? i think she's cute. anyway.
comment please!!!!