Status: Completed

Nine Lives

Chapter Thirty

I spent most, if not the whole day, sifting through maps, newspapers, documents, anything that could get me a lead on where the son of a bitch was. I knew that where ever Death went, the weather and other things tended to fuck up. So I was looking for weather patterns, weird animal activity, I was holding on by a thread for a sign of where he was.
He clearly wasn't in San Diego, because everything here was fine and he must have gotten a couple of his men to get Jessica.
My empathy for Gabe right now was through the roof and he was holding together pretty good. If it was Alan, I don't know what I would do. I'd end up killing the bastard who took him and that would make me loose my wings no doubt, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I didn't want to give in to Mike's plans.
I was looking at the local newspaper for a small town in Nevada called Austin (ironic) where the weather had been out of control as well as the crop count for the town. There were storms nearly every other day and it was crop season for them and barely anything was harvested.
This was it. This was were he was. There was no doubt about it. The signs were there and as far as I could see, there were multiple abandoned buildings where Mike could station himself at any time. For all we knew, he had men stationed all around the town and Jessica could be in any one of the warehouses.
I had to tell the others I found him. We had to prepare and we had to go get him.
I shoved my chair back from the desk, harder then intended and charged down the stairs into the living room to find that Tony was the only one there.
"Where is everyone?" I asked.
He looked up from flipping channels "Vic and Gabe are upstairs and Kellin went out with Alan, dunno where though" he said shrugging and looking back to the T.V. He finally settled on some boring cooking show.
"Well they all need to be here. Gabe! Vic!" I shouted up the stairs and heard doors open and feet move.
"What the hell is it. I was sleeping." Vic said rubbing his eyes.
"I found him." I said "Austin, Nevada. All the signs are there."
"Oh." Vic said, looking down.
Tony and Gabe looked over at me "Are you 100%?" Gabe asked.
"Yes."
"I'll call Kellin and tell him and Alan to come back then." Tony said, grabbing his phone out of his pocket and dialling his number.
I could see Vic awkwardly biting his lip. It was weird for him, you know Mike being his brother and all. If it was my brother, I wouldn't want to go through any of this either. I couldn't imagine how hard it is trying to succumb to the fact that someone you care about love has to kill someone else you care and love for. He was strong and he didn't even know it. He's been through so much in life. He's the strongest out of all of us and he's fucking clueless.. Half the time I wanted to shake him and shout at him how amazing he was and that he should believe it. But a life of self-hatred does things like that to a person. We were all here for him though. We wouldn't let him fall.
"Uhh, guys." Tony said looking oddly at his phone "We have a problem."
♠ ♠ ♠
Foreshadowing