The Stroke of Midnight

1/1

The idea of spending New Year’s Eve in a crowded house with a bunch of unknown people was less than appealing for Emma, and yet that’s exactly where she found herself.

The only person she could blame for putting her in such a position was herself, and well, her friend Katie. Katie thought it would be a great way for Emma to start her New Year’s resolution. Emma had been hoping for one night by herself.

Her plans to curl up on the couch with a blanket and ice cream while watching the ball drop was instantly washed away as soon as Katie walked through her front door unannounced.

“Come on, we’re already late.” Katie said, dropping her purse on Emma’s kitchen table with a loud thump. She turned her eyes onto Emma and scrunched up her nose. “Please tell me you’re not wearing that.”

Emma pulled her furry red blanket up to her chin, trying to hide the old shirt she was wearing that may or may not have had a huge hole on her right sleeve. “What are you doing here?”

Katie raised a brow before marching over to where Emma sat and yanking the blanket away. “I’m here to pick you up. We’re going to Kyle’s party.”

“Kyle?” Emma asked, reaching for her blanket, but Katie kept it from her reach. “I don’t know a Kyle.”

“He’s this guy I met last week.” Katie sighed, as if she simply did not have enough time to explain this. “Now come on, his party started over an hour ago and we only have a couple hours until midnight.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” Emma stated standing up and brushing past her friend. “Not to mention that I don’t even know this guy. You don’t even really know this guy. For all you know he could be some weirdo that wants to lock us in his basement.”

Katie rolled her brown eyes, letting the fuzzy blanket drop to the ground. She stared Emma down Emma, causing her dark haired friend to squirm uncomfortably. “Stop being such a prude.”

“I’m not a prude.” Emma snapped, narrowing her eyes. “And when did I exactly agree to go to this party?”

“You didn’t.” Katie said, a smile forming on her lips. “But then I remembered what you said your New Year’s resolution was going to be, and I figured we may as well get started on that.”

“I was hoping to have some time to ease into that,” Emma said, looking at the ground that suddenly became more interesting.

“Well, too bad.” Katie laughed, the corners of her eyes crinkling. “You want to be more outgoing, more spontaneous. Well doll, here’s your chance so you better take it.”

Emma groaned loudly and even though she knew her friend was right, didn’t make it any easier. “Fine,”

“Finally,” Katie sighed dramatically. “Now go do something with your hair, and be quick about it. We’re wasting time here!”

And that was how Emma found herself at the house of some strange guy named Kyle, squished between a girl who had a few too many beers and a guy that was sweating so bad that he looked like he just got done running a marathon.

Katie had ditched her almost the second they had walked through the door much to Emma’s displeasure. It was all well and good to want to be a bit more outgoing and to take life surprises. But it was a whole other thing to jump head first into it, especially alone.

“What’s a pretty little thing like you doing standing in the corner?” A deep, slightly slurred voiced startled Emma from her thoughts. She turned to face the man who spoke and found herself starting to blush.

The man was nothing if not handsome.

“No-noth-“ the drunk girl next to Emma slurred before bursting into giggles. She could barely hold herself upright and the last thing Emma wanted was for this girl to fall on her.

The guy ignored the drunk girl and took a step closer to Emma. “I’m Dan, and you are?”

Emma took a step back, suddenly having an ill feeling about this guy. She momentarily wondered if this Dan fellow ever heard of a thing called personal space.

“Emma,” she finally squeaked out before glancing over his shoulder, desperately searching for Katie in hopes that her best friend would save her.

“Emma,” Dan repeated, as lowering his gaze to Emma’s lips. “So, Emma, you never answered my first question. What is a pretty girl like you doing here all alone?”

“Oh, I’m not alone.” Emma answered, though it came out sounding more like a question. Perhaps the drunk girl falling on her wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

“Right,” Dan smirked and his blue eyes sparkled. “Why don’t you and I head out of here and grab a bite to eat and see where the night takes us.”

“No thanks,” Emma replied, trying to give Dan a sheepish smile. “I’m not very hungry, and I really am here with someone.”

A flash of annoyance crossed Dan’s eyes, but it quickly vanished. “Come on babe, at least get a drink with me.”

Emma was sure he already had plenty to drink.

“Hey, sorry it took so long,” a guy said, suddenly appearing at Emma’s right. He slung his arm over her shoulders casually, as if it were a normal thing to do. The stranger took a drink from the red cup in his hands, all the while eyeing Dan. “Who’s your friend?”

“This your boyfriend?” Dan asked Emma, nodding at the strange boy. He looked confused and annoyed, and just plain drunk.

“Yeah, I am, what’s it to you?” Stranger answered before Emma could.

Dan let out a grunt, eyeing Emma one last time before turning on his heel on and walking away without so much as a goodbye.

Stranger instantly dropped his arm from Emma’s shoulders and flashed her a smile. “You seemed distressed, and being the prince charming that I am, decided to save you.”

Emma eyed his suspiciously, still trying to wrap her head around what had just happened.

“I’m Logan, by the way.”

“Emma,” was her quick reply. Logan smiled, his green eyes lighting up briefly.

“Katie’s friend?” He asked, his smile growing.

“Yeah…how do you know her?” Emma asked unsure. If he was another one of Katie’s exes, then the night was about to go from bad to worse. Most of the time Katie’s exes came groveling to Emma, begging her to talk to Katie for them. About how they needed Katie, or else they simply couldn’t go on with their lives.

For some reason Katie always chose guys who grew attached quickly. But this Logan guy did not seem like that kind of guy, which only confused Emma.

“Yeah,” Emma finally answered him, giving him a weary look. “How do you know her?”

“Kyle,” Logan said, the smile on his face never falling. “I met her a couple days ago. She’s great.”

“Yeah,” Emma sighed, knowing fully well the kind of effect Katie tended to have on people.

Logan seemed to notice Emma’s gloomy reply and quickly jumped into a different question. “So why are you here exactly? No offense, of course, this just doesn’t seem like your kind of scene. Not to mention you look uncomfortable.”

“Well, it’s New Year’s and I might as well get a head start on my resolution.” Emma shrugged. “Or at least that’s what Katie said when she randomly showed up at my house a couple hours ago.”

“I hate New Year’s resolutions.” Logan shrugged before taking a sip of his drink again. “People are constantly trying to change themselves and are making promises they rarely keep. What’s your resolution?”

Emma could feel her cheeks burning and glanced at the drunk girl, who was leaning against the wall giggling still. “To be more outgoing and spontaneous.”

“See, that right there is what I mean,” Logan said, shaking his head. Emma glanced back at him, despite her embarrassment. “If you’re shy and predictable, then embrace it. Don’t try to be something you’re not. That’s what your resolution should be.”

Emma couldn’t help but frown. “I’m just trying to better myself.”

“Who says you have to better yourself?” Logan asked, running his hand through his dark hair. “Who says you’re not already good enough?”

“I don’t know.” Emma huffed, crossing her arms. “It’s just a resolution.”

“You don’t have to listen to me,” Logan said, the smile returning to his face. “That can be another one of your resolutions: Don’t listen to Logan because he’s an idiot.”

Emma couldn’t help herself and laughed, causing Logan’s smile to grow.

The crowd grew quiet around them suddenly causing Emma to glance around.

“10-9-8-7” they started to chant.

“It was nice to meet you Emma,” Logan said, tipping his red cup towards her. “And try and think about what I said about your resolution.”

“6-5-4-3”

Emma nodded and Logan turned to walk away. Perhaps she would listen to him. There really was nothing wrong with being shy. It’s just who she was.

“2…”

But there was nothing wrong with being a little spontaneous.

“1-Happy New Year!”

Emma grabbed Logan’s wrist and pulled him back towards her. He looked down at her confused and she simply smiled up at him before pulling him into a kiss.