Katie Murphy

"i hear she's a slut"

"She had sex with Joey Campbell."

"Joe Campbell would never have sex with Katie Murphy. Who knows what you could get from her?"

"Joey? No, Joey wasn't even at Homecoming. She left with Davey."

"She isn't even missing. It's just her way of seeking attention. Like being crowned Homecoming Queen isn't enough."

"Davey Mashin? Isn't he that stoner? There's no way Katie would have left with him."


-

Katie Murphy had been missing for twelve hours when Joey Campbell was located, sleeping in his car at the side of the road. Police found him six miles from his house. When questioned about where he was last night, the only answer they got was a dribble of vomit on their shoes.

They took him home to his parents who told him that Katie was missing. For a while there was no emotion. And then Joey Campbell said his first words to the police during the investigation, which were also his last words to them. "She blew me off for some guy I didn't know. She wanted a fuck and I couldn't give her one."

Police looked at Davey Mashin next. They found him home alone, high as a kite and writing out a suicide note. A knife was found in his bedroom, shoved under the mattress and wrapped in a pair of girls' knickers. They took him in for questioning and asked about knife and underwear.

"It's got no blood. Ain't nothing to do with you. And those knickers were from Toni's bedroom last time we shagged. Ask her, if you wish," was his reply when questioned after he was down from his high. A quick chat with Toni confirmed that they were her knickers.

When the police next saw Katie Murphy's parents, they had nothing new to tell them. They had no leads, no one to identify the mysterious guy she had left with and no evidence to suspect anyone. Joey was the closest thing that they could identify as a boyfriend, and even though the boyfriend is normally one of the main suspects, they couldn't pin him as one as there were several people who saw him after Katie had disappeared. They described him as normal, happy and the same as always. Nothing had them suspect anything about him, and when the dance finished, he went off with some guys for a drink.

Three days passed by and there had been no word from Katie. It was like she had vanished from the face of the earth.

Soon it was five days and by now Katie's parents knew that they weren't going to find their daughter alive. No matter how much hope they hung on to, deep down inside they knew that an eighteen year old girl wouldn't be alive after being missing for five days. They had seen enough real life crime programmes to know that the first forty eight hours were the ones that were crucial to the victim.

Just before the sixth day broke, a dress was found stuffed into the local park's rubbish bin. It was ivory with a black sash wrapped around the bust, the same type of dress that Katie had been pictured wearing on the night she disappeared. The only difference between the two dresses was that the one in the bin was covered in dirt and blood and ripped in places, and the one in the picture was clean and intact. DNA confirmed that the blood belonged to Katie.

Two days later Davey Mashin and his mates were ducking through the park, heading towards the back trees when they came across a pair of white shoes. In those white shoes were legs, and when they uncovered the face of the person, they were shocked to see that it was Katie Murphy. Not wanting to be caught with drugs in their possession, they ran from the place and one of them phoned the police from the nearest phone box.

On the second of October, at seven thirty pm, police arrived on the scene and discovered the body of eighteen year old Katie Murphy. She was later identified by her parents, the white shoes also confirmed as the ones that she had left wearing.

Her death date was determined as being on the thirtieth of September, caused by strangulation. She had been sexually assaulted both vaginally and anally before being stabbed several times on the abdomen. It was ruled that she had been tortured before being killed.

The newspaper at the beginning of the next week read the headline:

"Local Homecoming Queen found in park."