Status: Finished!

Jack Barakat One Shot

Part I

"Jack, no!" Elle shrieked as he chased her around the apartment they shared.

The two were inseparable. From the moment they met back in the eleventh grade, they just clicked. They were the best of friends, until Jack finally built up the courage to ask her out near the end of junior year, a goofy grin plastered across his face.

Their relationship was solid as a rock, and managed to survive through senior year and graduation, as well as Jack's hectic tour schedule and Elle being off at school. They always joked about that, he'd always say she was the smart one of the pair, getting an education, and he was the dumb one, off playing music. Elle would always giggle and pat his head, telling him she was proud of what he did no matter what, and he would jokingly do the same.

Jack finally caught up to her, wrapping his arms around her waist, causing her to laugh and scream even more. "Hah! Got you!"

Elle just shook her head, struggling in his grip. "Jack, let me go!"

He chuckled evilly. "Never!"

"What the hell is going on in here?" a voice called from the door. "Please just tell me you guys at least have clothes on."

"Alex!" Jack and Elle yelled in unison, speeding towards the door, almost knocking their friend over in the process.

"Whoa, guys. I'm not into that kinky stuff," Alex dropped his hands from his face. "Oh, thank god. You guys are dressed."

Jack rolled his eyes and smacked the back of his head. "That's the last time I tell you where the spare key is."

Alex grinned. "Sorry, man. I was lonely. Rian left so I came to visit."

"Ugh, really? It's the last night I have with my girlfriend before tour-"

Elle cut him off. "It's okay, Jack. He can stay."

He frowned, but didn't argue. He knew how it would turn out anyways. "Fine."

"Yay!" Alex cheered. "Sorry for interrupting by the way..."

"Yeah, yeah," Jack muttered, sulking off towards the living room.

Elle sighed, her gaze following her boyfriend. It wasn't like Jack to act like this, especially not with Alex. "I have no idea what's gotten into him..."

"It's okay, I'll go. Figure out what's wrong with Mr. Grumpy Pants. I don't want him to be all pissed off tomorrow," he grabbed the doorknob, laughing as he practically shouted 'Mr. Grumpy Pants' to ensure his best friend heard. "Goodnight, Elle."

She smiled at him. "Goodnight. I'll see you in the morning."

"Bright and early," Alex added, chuckling as he closed the door behind him.

The apartment was then consumed with silence, but it wasn't the comfortable kind.

She sighed for a second time as she went into the living room to sit beside Jack. "He left. What's wrong?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I'm just... I guess I'm really gonna miss you, Elle."

She leaned onto his shoulder, taking a deep breath. "I'll miss you too, Jack. You're not going to be gone forever, though."

"Yeah, it's just," he paused, unsure of how to phrase his statement without giving anything away. "I wanted to take you out tonight."

She got up, taking his hand, trying to pull him up off the couch. "Let's go then."

He grinned at her, standing up. Making his way into the kitchen, he grabbed his keys off the counter, then opened the cupboard above the sink, retrieving a flashlight.

Elle eyed him suspiciously. "What's that for? It's still light out."

She glanced at the clock and it was six.

"You'll see," a smile played on the corners of his mouth.

She shook her head, not surprised at all by this. Jack always liked to plan little things for the two of them to do and places for them to go. Though sometimes these plans were a bit strange, she still found it rather cute that he made the effort.

Once they got in the car, Jack turned to her. "Dinner first?"

The fact that he had said 'first' further confirmed to Elle that he probably had yet another crazy idea for the night ahead.

She nodded. "Sure."

"Where to, darling?"

"Doesn't really matter to me, handsome," she replied, playing along with the naming game.

"Well, fancy or not?" he asked as they exited the parking lot of the apartment building.

Elle laughed. "Honestly, I don't really care as long as it's food."

"That's my girl!" Jack laughed along with her, putting his hand up for a high five and she connected her hand with his. "What about that sub place we used to go to when we were teenagers?"

She shrugged. "Works for me."

"Not exactly romantic, but it's good," he smiled at her.

She nodded in agreement.

He put on the turn signal and within a few minutes they arrived at their destination. Jack ordered a sub with practically everything available on it, while Elle stuck with something more simple; turkey and cheese, which was her favourite.

They took their subs and sat down at a nearby table, Jack instantly taking a large bite out of his.

"I honestly don't know how you can eat that," she shook her head at him, taking a small bite of her own sandwich.

"And I don't understand how you can eat that. So boring," he scoffed, winking at her.

"It's not boring!" she argued jokingly. "It's normal."

"Hey! Don't knock it 'til you try it, my dear," he said through a mouthful of sub, shoving the rest of it in her face.

She laughed, holding her hand up. "I think I'll pass."

He shrugged, swallowing what he had in his mouth. "Your loss."

Once they finished eating, the pair went back out to the car. The sun was setting and it would be dark soon enough.

Perfect, Jack thought to himself, backing out of the parking space and onto the street.

The two just drove around for awhile, talking about anything and everything, though the main topic of conversation was how Jack would be leaving the next day.

Suddenly, he pulled over to the side of the road, putting the car in park.

Elle looked at him confusedly as he got out and walked around to her side. He opened the door, producing a blindfold from his pocket.

"What the hell-?" she started, but he silenced her with a kiss.

"Trust me, okay? I just want it to be a surprise," he pouted, and she couldn't say no.

She sighed. "Fine."

He grinned as he put it on then went back into the car. "It'll be worth it, I promise."

"I sure hope so," Elle shook her head as he started up the car again.

After driving for a little while longer, he stopped yet again. He took her hand and helped her out of the car, turning on the flashlight he brought.

"Sorry, love. We have to walk for a bit," Jack grasped his girlfriend's hand and led her forward.

"Okay," she hated not knowing where she was going, but she trusted him enough to follow along.

He suddenly stopped in his tracks, causing Elle to bump into his side. "Sorry. We're here."

He removed her blindfold and she gasped at the sight in front of her. "Oh my god, Jack."

He grinned, planting a kiss on her forehead. "Remember when I asked you out here back in the eleventh grade? I practically pissed myself I was so afraid you'd say no."

Elle nodded and laughed a bit but didn't say anything, too busy taking in her surroundings.

The treehouse in which Jack had asked her to be his girlfriend stood ahead of her. She had completely forgotten about it, and she wasn't even sure it still existed.

"Want to go up?" he nudged her, breaking her from the thoughts in her head.

She nodded excitedly, and he motioned for her to go up first. In the dim light from Jack's flashlight, her eyes widened when she saw the interior. Sleeping bags and ample amounts of pillows were set up, a small cooler and a grocery bag presumably full of drinks and junk food in the corner. On the shelves of the treehouse were some candles.

"Jack, this is amazing!" Elle exclaimed once they were both settled cross legged in the mass of blankets and pillows.

His signature goofy grin spread across his face. "I was hoping you'd like it."

"Like it? I love it! It's so perfect. Where'd you find the time to set it up, though?" she asked.

"Earlier today when you were out grocery shopping," he replied. "Come here."

She crawled over to him and cuddled into his chest.

"I love you, Elle," he kissed the top of her head."

"I love you too."

"Fuck! I almost forgot!" Jack let go of her and stood up, causing her to jump. "The candles! They need to be lit so the romantic mood can be set. Gotta make up for how non-romantic dinner was."

Elle giggled as he pulled out a lighter and lit the candles around the treehouse.

"You're such a goof," she said to him as he sat back down, wrapping his arms around her. "I am going to miss you so much."

"I'm gonna miss you too," he whispered. "Elle, there's a reason why I brought you here tonight, it wasn't just spontaneous."

She spun around to face him, her eyebrows knitted together as he pulled her up into a standing position. "What?"

Jack took a deep breath. "Look, I love you so much. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I honestly cannot see myself with anyone else."

She put her hands over her mouth as he got down on one knee. "Elle, will you marry me?"

Tears brimmed in her eyes as she nodded frantically. "Yes, yes I'll marry you."

He grinned widely, getting back on his feet, picking her up and spinning her around. After he set her down he slid the ring on her finger, kissing her hand. "What do you want to do now, my fiancée?"

He couldn't quite wrap his head around it. Soon enough, he would be a married man, and he couldn't wait for that day.

"That's up to you," Elle smiled, butterflies in her stomach as a result of Jack referring to her as that.

He leaned down to kiss her lips, pulling her closer to him as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I brought food and drinks."

She laughed, shaking her head. "You never stop eating, do you?"

"Nope, not really," he reached inside the plastic bag and pulled out some chips, holding them up. "Your favourite kind."

Jack ripped the bag open and she took a few. It was almost ridiculous the amount they knew about one another, but knowing someone for so long you tend to learn things.

He grabbed some beverages and they sat back down, one of his arms around her waist. "I'm sorry for proposing right before I leave. My plan was to do it after the tour, but I just couldn't wait three whole months."

"It's okay, Jack," she smiled. "I'm glad you did."

"Ah, I'm so excited!" he exclaimed, hugging her close to him.

"Why?" Elle looked up at him.

"Because I'm getting married to the most amazing girl in the world," he responded in a matter-of-fact tone.

Her eyes moved to the floor, gaze fixated there, and she couldn't help but blush a little.

"Hey," he used a finger to lift her face towards his. "I love you."

He placed a gentle kiss on her lips, and she smiled. "I love you."

She yawned, resting her head on Jack's chest.

"Tired?" he asked.

"A little."

He stood up and blew out the candles, then pulled the two of them into a sleeping bag. "Goodnight, love."

"Goodnight," Elle snuggled close to him, and it wasn't long until her eyelids became heavy and she fell into a peaceful sleep.

* * *

Jack stared at the screen of his phone, muttering under his breath. "Shit, shit, shit!"

Elle's eyes opened slowly as she looked over at him. "Is everything okay?"

He nodded. "We just slept in and everyone is wondering where we are."

"You didn't think to tell anyone where we'd be going?" she asked, sitting up.

"I didn't want anyone to know because they'd probably end up telling you," he replied nonchalantly, shrugging.

Not wanting to make them wait any longer, the two of them climbed down from the treehouse, belongings in tow. After driving for about twenty-five minutes, they arrived back at their apartment, getting swarmed by some pretty impatient guys.

"I have an announcement," Jack shouted excitedly, grabbing Elle's hand. "We are getting married!"

Everyone cheered, patting him on the back and giving her hugs.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we really gotta get going," Matt, the band's tour manager said, frowning slightly.

Jack took Elle's face in his hands, kissing her lips softly. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"I'm going to miss you too," she whispered. "I'll see you in three months though."

She tried to fake a smile, although she almost felt like crying.

Jack nodded. "I love you, darling."

"I love you too," she placed another kiss on his lips.

With that, the rest of the guys said their goodbyes to Elle, leaving her standing alone in the apartment parking lot.

* * *

Two months later...

Elle paced around the room, running her fingers through her hair. How was she supposed to tell Jack? She could just call him, although she'd much rather do it in person.

Weighing out her options, she took out her cellphone, texting him.

Hey, when you have a minute alone can you call me? Love you.

A few hours later, her phone was ringing. She answered it, and Jack's worried voice instantly came down the line. "Elle, are you okay? Is-"

She cut him off quickly. "Yeah, I'm fine. I think."

"What did you need to talk about?" he asked, ignoring the uncertainty in her voice.

She took a deep breath. "Well, I wanted to tell you in person, but then I'd have to wait another month."

"What is it?"

"Jack, I-I'm... I'm pregnant," Elle managed to choke out.

"What?" he exclaimed, and she heard a clatter on the other end. "No way. Not only am I getting married, but I'm gonna be a daddy too?"

She breathe a sigh, so relieved that he wasn't angry. Though she had assumed he wouldn't be, she was still glad. "It seems that way."

"Oh my fucking god, I'm shaking. I'm getting the next flight back home, okay? I-" he spoke so fast it was a wonder she could understand him.

"Jack!" she stopped him from saying anything else. "You can't. You have to stay on tour. I will see you in a month, alright?"

He sighed, knowing fully well she was right. "Fine."

"This means I'm gonna be fat for the wedding," she said in a mocking tone, sighing loudly.

He laughed. "No you won't, Elle. You'll be beautiful, as always. How far along are you anyways?"

"You're so sweet. And about ten weeks," she replied, sitting down.

"That's like..." Jack paused, thinking. "Two and a half months, right?"

"My mathematical genius," she joked.

He chuckled. "Always. Well, I gotta go, love. I'll talk to you later, okay? I love you."

"I love you too," she smiled as she hung up.

* * *

Ten months later...

"Elle Marie Barakat, get in here!" her husband called from their baby's room.

Jack loved the sound of her new name, so he called her by it whenever he possibly could.

Their wedding was pretty simple, but still elegant, only their closest friends along with family were invited. It was everything Elle could have wanted, and Jack was just happy to be marrying her.

"What?" she said groggily, walking into the room. In his arms was their three-month old daughter, screaming and crying. Despite Jack's efforts to name her after himself, saying even Jacqueline would suffice, they eventually settled on Harmony.

Panic covered his face. "She won't stop crying! What am I doing wrong?"

"Jack," she tried to calm him down. "Just give her to me."

He passed their child to her. Elle began to rock Harmony gently, and almost instantly, she stopped crying.

"What the fuck?" Jack frowned.

She gave him a look.

"Sorry," he apologized. "I don't understand..."

"Babies can sense emotion," she explained. "So she knew you were panicking, and she reacted accordingly. You have to be calm."

"Ohhh," he nodded. "Makes sense, I suppose."

Jack stood up and looked at the sleeping baby- his baby, in her arms. "She's so adorable."

Elle smiled, still rocking Harmony gently. "She looks a lot like her daddy."

"She does," he grinned proudly. "But she still looks a lot like you. We make beautiful babies."

He kissed Elle's forehead, and she laughed. "You are such a goof."

"I know," he gently brushed a thumb across his daughter's cheek.

Elle smiled, slowly walking over to the crib on the other side of the room. Placing Harmony in it, she kissed her cheek lightly, going over to the door.

"Goodnight, my love," Jack whispered, closing the door behind Elle and himself.