Guardians of Innistrad

Kyiers

"Not every church is a place of faith, huh?"

Staring the Obzedat in the face, Kyiers always seemed to challenge his elders. With a final smirk, he stepped between worlds without a word.

He saw the shrine he had been working on: it was almost completely built, only missing the final details. Even in the midst of the abundant white mana of Thraben, Kyiers could feel that he had successfully brought forth the black mana of Innistrad, twining them together and molding them to each other.

"Two opposing forces. So violent, but, so peaceful..." he muttered to himself.

The isolated chapel of his lay at Gavony's southern border; the province was quite possibly the strongest stronghold of humans, but, even then the humans needed safety. With the threat of werewolves and ghouls ever-growing, Kyiers figured that adding black mana to their resources would be beneficial, just as the ghoul-callers of Nephalia did. Then he could teach the humans to use the magic as a weapon and shield.

Of course, this aid would be at a price, for to help one was to help another.

In the midst of the construction, there came a loud snap. It seemed to be coming from far off so Kyiers ignored it. However, a few moments later, the same sound cracked through the air, this time it was significantly louder. The workers, a group of surrounding trees that Kyiers had animated to build the chapel, were unaffected by the noise but the planeswalker looked around the area for the source of the noise. Nothing.

BAM!

Two warriors clad in dirtied armor came crashing through the forest on near-emaciated war horses and immediately drew their swords at the sight of the Orzhov mage.

"Halt! State your name and business, stranger!" One of them barked, not even realizing that there were trees moving about on their own.

"I am..." He started, realizing that it might not be in his best interest to reveal everything just yet, "Kyiers. Kyiers of Estwald. I am afraid that is all that I can disclose at this moment."

The exhausted soldiers bought the story after a moment's thought, sheathing their swords.

"We are a part of the Riders of Gavony, the great Thalia is in need of the crusaders' assistnace."

Thalia's name rung a familiar bell in Kyiers' head and he quickly decided that his plans could use an update.

"Thalia, the Guardian of Thraben, you say?" He said gently, "Maybe I could assist you on your quest. I could use a change of scenery and you could use the particular set of skills I was blessed with - even as just a guide, as you nearly ran into my mire and myself."

"You may accompany us..." One guard said after the two gave each other a long look, "If you tell us why the trees behind you are building said mire in the middle of nowhere."

Kyiers' blood stopped in his veins for a split second. He thought that he had stopped the spell when he had introduced himself, before the soldiers could realize what had been going on; he looked over his shoulder to assess the situation.

The trees had indeed stopped at his mental command. Which means that the warriors were much more perceptive than Kyiers had initially thought. Which meant that he could be in a bit of trouble.