Red Light

take your chances.

By the seventh inning, there was no doubt about who would emerge victorious from this game. It was a quick and painless win with the Giants pitching not allowing many hits. As soon as the game was over, crowds of people buzzing with excitement filtered out of the stadium. I took this as an opportunity to split up from Jessica so we could both explore the park and take photos. My feet carried me around the emptying park, my eyes scanning every inch of this unfamiliar place.

As I turned the corner between ramps leading to the bottom level of the stadium, I collided with a firm body. Immediately the air rushed out of my lungs and I let out a startled yelp as my body was pushed backwards by the force of the impact. My ass landed on the dirty concrete with a smack, a pained groan escaping my lips directly after. The other body was fairly bigger than me, and therefore was still standing upright. "Oh shit", a deep voice exclaimed from above me. I regained my composure and quickly gathered the contents of my purse, which were scattered across the ground.

"Hey, you alright?", the same person spoke, voice laced with concern. A pale hand reached down and picked up my small black notebook, gently holding it out towards me. I grabbed the notebook from his grasp, looking up while I did so. Suddenly my attention was lost in warm green eyes, all thought escaping my mind like the breath in my lungs. So intense and captivating and oh- that was unexpected. As soon as his eyelids snapped shut in a blink, I tore my gaze away. "Yeah, so i'm really sorry about that", he apologized. I got to my feet and brushed off whatever dirt clung to my backside, slinging the strap of my bag over my shoulder in the process. "Fine, I'm fine", I responded as casually as possible.

His eyes flicked downward and immediately widened. "Your leg, you've got a nasty scrape there", he informed. I glanced down, where blood had beaded up on the surface of skin covering my ankle bone. Of course I'd be bleeding, just my luck. As if this whole predicament wasn't embarrassing enough. The guy scrubbed a hand through his shaggy chin-length black hair. Now that I got a good look at him, I observed that he was very lean, on the verge of lanky. He wasn't too tall either, 6-foot I estimated. "Let's go to the trainer, he'll bandage that up for you", The guy said like he just discovered the cure for cancer. I looked at him warily, not too enthusiastic about following a random dude into the depths of an unfamiliar ballpark. He must have sensed my uneasiness, because he added, "I'm not a creep, I swear." As he moved forward, I cautiously followed. "That's what they all say", I muttered under my breath. He glanced back at me, a knowing smile tugging at his lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title from Taking Chances by There For Tomorrow.