My Baby

My Baby

I knew this would happen; I just knew it. She again decided that her job was more important than me. Mother had promised that we would have a girl’s night out tonight and celebrate that I had received a full scholarship to Ohio State. On top of that, I was going to tell her something that I had been putting off for about two months now; I wanted to tell her before I started to show.
I slammed the door shut and stomped down the stairs. I flicked open my phone and dialed Zain’s number.
The phone rang a few times then I heard his voice, “Hey babe, what’s up?”
“Can we met at the unusual place?” I asked hoping he hadn’t made plains.
“Of course, I’ll be there in a few. But what happened to your night out?”
“She bailed on me like normal. See ya in a bit.”
I shut my phone and jogged in the direction of the park near Zain’s place.
I hadn’t told Zain about my little secret either. I hadn’t planned on telling tonight, but I guess I could tell him instead of mother.
I wonder what he’s going to do… leave me and want nothing to do with the baby; stay but want to get rid of the baby; or stay and want to keep the baby.
I could understand if he left me. He was only 21, half way through college, and he still has a lot he wants to do. I don’t care if he wants to get rid of the baby; I’m going to keep the baby. If he doesn’t want the baby then I guess he doesn’t want me because we are a packaged deal.
I looked up to see Zain, so I slowed down to a slower pace.
“Rose, there you are.” Zain’s smile was beautiful as usual.
“Sorry, did I make you wait long?” I glanced up at him.
“No I’m just happy to see you. You seem down, what’s wrong?”
“What do you think about kids?”
“I believe we are too young, but I do want them later in life.”
“How much later in life do you want them? …would seven months be too soon?
“What?” he looked down at my stomach, “Do you mean?”
“Yes, Zain I’m pregnant with your baby.”
“Rose that’s great, but I’m ready for the responsibilities of a baby. I’m about to end my second year of college. I mean how am I going to pay for college and a baby? I barely make ends meet as is, think about how things are going to be when the baby is born.”
I couldn’t say anything, but smile weakly. I knew what he was trying to say to me, but he didn’t want to be mean about it.
Basically Zain was trying to say: That’s great for you, but I don’t want anything to do with a baby; I have enough to deal with as is. I don’t need deal with a baby too.
I turned in the direction of my house and began to walk home.
How am I going to tell my mom? She’s going to kill me, I just know it. What will dad have to say about this when he gets back from his trip to Florida?
I felt a hand on my shoulder; I turned around to see Zain behind me.
He smiled, “Rose, you’re walking off before I can finish talking like normal.”
I didn’t say anything to him. What else could he have to say telling me that he didn’t want to baby?
“I may barely make enough money right now, but I do want to stay with you, and I do want to be the father of your baby. That is…if you want me to be your baby’s father.”
Tears came to my eyes, “Yes I do, I do want you to be the baby’s father and Zain it’s not my baby it’s our baby.”
“Yes, of course,” he said kissing me.
“Does anyone else know?” Zain asked.
I shook my head, “No, you are the first to know about our angel.”
“Not even your parents?”
“My mom bailed on me, so I couldn’t tell her and my dad in out of state right now. There’s no way I really could have told anyone; I just worked up the nerve to tell anyone last night and then I still didn’t tell anyone until tonight.”
“Well then, I guess we will have to tell the grandmother of our child now won’t we?”
“You mean tonight don’t you? Well, as long as I’m with you I can do anything; that includes faces my mom.”
We both smiled and started towards my place.
I began to worry about telling my mother.
“Ya scared?” Zain asked.
“Oh, hell yeah,” I said taking his hand.
He smiled down at me, “Me too, who knows what your mother will do.”
We both laughed at that knowing it was true.
As we approached the house we saw her car in the driveway.
Zain looked down at me and kissed me on the head. “No matter what happens I’m here for you remember that.”
“I know,” I said taking his hand.
We walked hand in hand to our future. Not sure what to expect or what to do, but we knew that we had each other and our baby that would be in our arms sooner than we could imagine.