I Just Wanted You to Know

Chapter 10 No Practice

Thank you to all my readers!! hope you like this chapter!!

I do not own anything! Enjoy :)

CH.10 No Practice

The next few days passed in a blur. Mary felt like she was on auto pilot, barely talking or eating. The depression of being home sick was beginning to sink in. She hadn't spoken to Daryl since their 'almost' kiss. Hershel had taken over cleaning his wounds until today. Today, Daryl moved out of the farm house and back to his tent in camp. Carol wouldn't even look at Mary after her private talk with Daryl. She laid on her back on top of the Winnebago watching the clouds slowly pass her by. It had now been about 3 weeks since she became part of TWD group. It was beginning to feel normal. Although, the first season of the show gave her a glimpse into everyone's lives and respected all of them even though she didn't feel the same love back from a few of the women.

"Are you coming?" Mary heard Glenn's voice call out from below the winnebago.

She leaned over the edge to find Glenn's smiling face beaming at her. He was excited that today was also gun practice day. Mary wanted to go but from the looks Shane had been giving her, she decided against it. She didn't want Shane rubbing up on her and she had an excuse.

"Nope. Gotta change Daryl's dressing." She gave him a nonchalant shrug.

"He can do it himself!" Glenn shouted back. The entire conversation could probably be heard by Daryl if he wasn't sleeping. Chances are, he wasn't.

Mary shook her head before Glenn finally moved on. Soon after, she climbed down the ladder of the winnebago and walked towards his tent. Her leg wasn't radiating pain anymore and felt much better.

Mary stood at the entrance of Daryl's already wide open tent. She found him poking holes in the mesh with one of his arrows.

"The skeets are going to bite you at night." Mary giggled putting her hands on her hips. She hoped that comment would lighten the already awkward situation. No avail. Daryl faced her with a stern expression on his face. He was obviously bored and not impressed.

"Ya take me for an idiot?" Daryl sat up, with a frustrated expression flashing across his face, "It zips up." He motioned to the zipper and clearly he was right. If he zipped it up at night, no insects would find their way in.

Mary didn't want to look stupid and inferior to him so she returned the comment with her own, "Well if you give a jackass an education, you'll get a smartass." She rolled her eyes grabbing the gauze and peroxide, taking a seat on the ground next to his cot.

Daryl chose to ignore her comment, and lifted his own shirt half way, just enough to deal with the dressing and that was it.

"Ya ain't goin' to gun practice...with Shane?" Daryl hissed, ellongating the syllables in Shane's name to hint at something.

"Ew, Shane? I don't think so." Mary crinkled up her nose at the mere thought of Shane touching her in that way, "Besides, i already know how to shoot a gun."

Daryl cocked his head to the side in curiosity. However, the painful sting of hydrogen peroxide (rubbing alcohol) on his open wound made him cringe.

"Where'd ya learn?" Daryl spoke through gritted teeth.

"My Dad taught me. Wanted me to know how to protect myself." Mary spoke absentmindedly, trying to concentrate on rapping the clean gauze around him neatly.

"My brother, Merle, he was an arrogant son of a bitch," Daryl began wincing at the pain but trying his hardest to not show it, "Ya woulda like him." He gave a chuckle at the thought of Merle, just being Merle.

Mary wasn't choosing her words carefully when speaking to Daryl. She got too comfortable too quickly, "Merle was tough as nails." She recited a quote from Daryl, himself, during the first season of the show. She didn't even notice her word choice till Daryl spoke.

"How do ya know my brother?" Daryl raised an eyebrow and looked at her questioningly. She didn't look like the time of girl for Merle to bring home and bang. She looked somewhat innocent.

Mary panicked. If it they had been in some animated reality, her character would be profusely sweating and stuttering when she spoke. However, that wasn't the case.

"I...uh...I don't know him." Mary began trying to by time to cover her foot steps. She couldn't just spill the beans and explain to him how she thinks she got warped into this alternate reality of her favorite zombie show and she knew everything about everyone of them. They....He, would think she was a crazy person. "I ment to say, I'm sure he's tough as nails because you're pretty tough for taking an arrow to the side." Mary gave a laugh of relief that he bought the story.

She stood up grabbing what was left of the supplies to return them to their rightful spot in the corner of the tent. Mary could feel his stare as she turned her back to him to walk across the tent. It was like his eyes could burn a hole though her. She wasn't ready to leave. Not yet.

She turned to lock eyes with his beautiful blue ones, "Well.... I'll see you for dinner." Mary fidgeted with her hands. There was a long pause of silence and she wasn't sure if she should just leave. He looked deep in thought. Feeling uncomfortable she turned to leave abruptedly but was stopped by the sound of his voice.

"Come with me to locate Sophia in a day or two?"

"Are you sure?" Mary was surprised.

"Yea. I could use the company." Daryl spoke slowly. A grin crept across Mary's face. She was more than delighted to accompany him.

*I wonder what will happen ;)