I Just Wanted You to Know

chapter 12

The sun was bared on Mary's back as she followed Daryl through the off beaten path in the middle of a wooded area. It was the typical hot and humid Georgia weather. The most interesting aspect of her surroundings was that everything looked so familiar. She had been here before. However, Mary could barely concentrate on the fact of familiarity and instead on the iron butterflies doing backflips in her stomach.

'ahhh I am alone in the woods with THE Norman Reedus'

She could barely hold in her excitement of being a fan-girl that she almost forgot that she was with Daryl and not Norman. Either way, he looked as insatiousable now covered in dirt and muck in his environment as he did in the hospital bed. His cold demeanor reminded Mary that she probably had no chance of him ever being attracted to her. She didn't resemble the so called 'perfect' body of a model. The nation's symbol of beauty.

Daryl walked hunched over with his crossbow aimed and ready. Mary felt out of place, she'd never have been hunting before and wonder why he would bring her out of everyone. Hell, Andrea would have been more fit for hunting than her. Daryl looked over his shoulders several times at her with a look of annoyance. Mary crunched the leaves as she walked and that was aggravating him.

"Can ya be any more louder?" He breathed out in frustration turning to face her with a look that would intimidate most people. Not her.

Mary place her hands on her hips. "Yes I can be!" She spoke loudly throwing her hands into the air. She too was frustrated with his seemingly endless moans and groans.

"Bitch." Daryl mumbled turning away from her, crouching down to his original position.

This lit a fire inside Mary. She was tired of him being hot and cold randomly.

She took aim with her handgun, a silencer was screwed into the barrel of the gun to muffle the shots fired. She fired one shot that flew past Daryl, over his shoulder and killed a rabbit a couple yards away.

Mary proceeded to walk by him and spoke, "I'd rather be a bitch than a whining 'helpless' girl who thinks she needs some jackass to always hold her hand."

As she got closer to the limp animal, she noticed The cabin she woke up in through the trees. She stood frozen in her steps. Daryl walked up to her, slightly shoving her with his shoulder before walking past her to retrieve what would be a portion of the camp's dinner.

"Sophia may be in there." He motioned to the cabin hidden between trees.

Mary shook her head. She knew that the little girl couldn't have been in there. However, she followed Daryl, more closely behind him than before. She was scared. Her heart rate increased as her pulse and respiration quickened.

Upon approaching the cabin closer, she remember the terror and confusion she felt. The front door was torn off the hinges and laying on the floor. No doubt the walkers banged it down during the fiasco. Daryl entered the cabin slowly, taking aim with his crossbow, he spoke in a loud whisper, "Sophia?"

There was no reply. The cabin was completely quiet, she could even hear herself breath. Mary walked to the couch to examine anything she may have missed when she woke. Daryl watched her has she ran her hand on the couch. Mary pick up a framed picture on the corner table. It was a hunting photo of a man and his wife holding up a freshly killed buck's head. She had never seen these people in her life before. Things were getting strange.

A decaying smell wafted through the air which made her face turn green and Daryl covered his nose and mouth with his free hand. Mary gagged at the smell. Daryl pushed past her to investigate, only to find the walker Mary had killed in the kitchen was further decayed and seemed to have been gnawed on by rodents.

A rat about 5 times it's normal size ran out from behind the stove and in between Mary's legs. She freaked out. Throwing her hands into the air and letting out a shrill scream. Mary jumped in freight, only to be caught by Daryl. His arms were strong and she could feel his muscles rippling under his pearl snap shirt. He cradled her for seconds, tightening his grip before loosening it. SHe quickly stepped away, her face flashing several shades of red. Before she could say anything, Daryl turned and began to walk out the front door.

"Com'on. It's gettin' Dark..." His voice trailed off.

Mary thought it was weird cuz they still had about an hour and a half left of daylight and the walk would approximately take only 20 mins. She shrugged her shoulder and followed him in silence. Mary had to admit she was a little disappointed in not being able to look around the cabin more or take advantage of her alone time with him.

/

Mary stood on the porch of the Farm house. She was leaning against the outer wall of the house pondering on why she was warped into this television show. Have people noticed in her reality that she was missing? She was brought out of thought by Shane walking out of the Farm house, slamming the door behind him.

For that second, she wished that she could have disappeared into the shadows. Or at least have the earth open up and swallow her whole than talk to this deranged man.

Shane didn't even turn around to acknowledge her, he knew she was there. He spoke with his back turned to her, "So you have fun out there with that redneck?"

Mary remained quiet. She refuse to speak. Daryl may be a redneck but he was more of a man than Shane.

He turned around to face her, "Don't think everyone hasn't noticed that you two are fucking. "

Mary cocked her head, dumbfounded at such an accusation.

"We ain't fucking. Don't think everyone hasn't noticed that you and Lori were fucking days after she lost her husband and you lost your best friend." She spat at him, mocking Shane in her words. Could he be somewhat jealous? She didn't understand what grudge Shane held against Daryl but she didn't want to be in the middle of it.

As Shane walked away he gave a menacingly laugh that gave Mary the creeps.

Minutes later, Daryl walked out from the shadows of the house smoking the last drags of his cigarette. He stood awkwardly in front of Mary as she leaned against the outer wall of the farm house. The nicotine riddled smoke filled the air between the two.

"We didn't get to look upstairs." Mary spoke softly breaking the silence between them.

Daryl nodded his head, "We'll have a look tomorrow." He took a step closer to her. Mary raised an eyebrow at his uncharacteristic gestures.

"Are you--" Mary began to ask as he took two more steps forward, closing the gap between them. He dropped the butt of his cigarette to the floor putting it out with his boots. It was then she smelt the faint smell of bourbon whiskey on his breath other that the small of tobacco.

Daryl was so close to her that with every breath she took her breasts would graze his chest. Her racing heart matched the beat of his. It all happened so quickly that Mary didn't have a chance to finish her simple question. He yanked her into him and covered her mouth with his in a hungry kiss. Mary was quite surprised, and responded immediately by deepening the kiss, as she wrapped her arms around his neck. His mouth was so warm, the caress of his lips were softer than she could have imagined. He licked her lips tentatively with his tongue, and Mary opened her mouth with a low moan.

"Ahem." a voice was heard as the screen door from the farm house could be heard closing.

Suddenly, Daryl pushed away from Mary, the voice startled the two.

"Sorry." Daryl mumbled, Mary could see the temptation and longing in his beautiful blue eyes before he walked away quickly. avoiding looking into her eyes.

Mary traced her lips with her finger tips still in 'aw' of the suddenness of the situation. She turned to face a grinning Dale. He gave her a wink before stating, "Its about time."

Mary's face grew hot from embarrassment, she didn't know how to reply to Dale's comment.

"There's no need to be embarrassed. These are trying times, if your able to find love you should hang on to it." Dale spoke wisely placing a hand on Mary's shoulder.

Mary wanted more. She wanted to feel Daryl's body up against her, to feel his tough again.