I Just Wanted You to Know

Chapter 5 Thank You

It's a short one but i like it. :)

i do not own anything!!!!

Chapter 5. Thank You

Carl laid in bed experiencing shortness of breath and trembling in his un- conscious state. It was time to perform the surgery, waiting for Shane and Otis to return was no longer an option. Mary helped Maggie quickly disinfect the medical supplies. Hershel was studying the wound for the best possible angle to tackle this mess. Lori and Rick stood in the corner of the room, Lori was sobbing into his chest. It was heart-breaking to watch, so Mary suppressed her emotions, just like she would do many times before when treating patients.

"Scapel." Hershel called for. Maggie handed him the unbelievably sharp object. Mary was hold Carl down and making sure Hershel would be able to perform the operation cleanly and successfully.

As soon as Hershel laid the cold scapel to the boy's flesh, the sound of skitting tires and light filled the room. Maggie urged the parents to leave the room now that the necessary medical supplies were delivered. It was too risky to have the emotional parents breathing down your neck during a tense moment. Mary began hooking Carl up to the respirator and providing the anesthesia.

After a long and painful process, the surgery was a success. Hershel advised the couple of the healing process, it wasn't a sure thing that he would survive just yet. Infection was always a slippery slope.

Mary grabbed onto the wall as she made her way outside. Allowing her to lean most of her weight on the wall, giving her body more moveable options than crutches. Once outside, she leaned against the wooden railing of the porch. It was strange to look at the surrounding area and not find a single light in the distance. Mary looked up, it had been years since she had admired the stars and all their glory. When you live in the city as long as she did, the night lights blurred out the star light.

She found herself wondering if she were looking into the same sky as her friends and family, or where they all dead as well. in this new world. The gap from falling asleep and waking up in an abandoned cabin hardly made any sense. Maybe. Should she tell these people the truth? That two days ago she was working in the hospital with other live people. No. they'd think she was a lunatic.

Fireflies lit up parts of the camp from a distance. She watched and relived her favorite childhood experience of running with mason jars, trying to catch as many as she could and then release them all at once in a frenzy. Mary wouldn't admit it just yet but she felt more alive now than she ever did while working at the hospital, letting life pass her by.

Mary closed her eyes and took a deep breath, she could smell the faint sent on cigarette smoke. She turned around to see he cherry red tip lighting up a gruff face. Instead of feeling freighted in Daryl's presence, she actually felt safe and protected. Like nothing in the world could hurt her when he was around. Well, besides him shooting an arrow into her thigh.

"How's yer leg?" Daryl drawled, his southern accent thickening. A cloud of smoke released into the air.

"It's healing." She squeaked out, surprised he even tried to start a conversation.

Daryl held up the carton of cigarettes, offering for her to take one. She stepped in his direction taking two. She held one in her mouth and tucked the other behind her ear for safe keeping. Mary was never the smoking type but in her unusual state, she considered it to relax her. Daryl held up his half lit cigarette and Mary grabbed it with two fingers, lighting hers with the already lit tip of his.

After a long drag and exhale, she turned her gaze to Daryl. His stare never left her.

"Thank you for saving my life. If you hadn't...you know," she motioned to her leg, giving him a soft smile, "I'd probably be dead."

"I didn't save ya." Daryl scoffed taking his last drag, throwing the butt of the cigarette to the floor.

"You know...a wise man once told me to 'learn to laugh.' You could use the same advice.'' Mary quoted the last words Scott spoke to her.

Daryl was bothered by what she said to him and retorted rudely, "Laughing ain't goin' to help ya survive. Learn a real skill." With that he turned to leave, never faltering in his step.

"I'm a doctor and I can guarantee you that my self worth isn't affected by your acceptance of me." Mary growled. However, Daryl never paused to listen or acknowledge her. He was impressed by her, but couldn't accept it yet.